• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Suspended from work pending investigation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mariefab View Post
    Better and better.
    If you receive an invitation to any further meetings come back here so that we can help you to prepare.
    Hi MARIEFAB,

Thank you again for the comments.

Been waiting one week now for them to send me a copy of the Investigation meeting notes. I'm just not sure what to make of it all.

Will keep you updated as I receive further information.

Thank's again.

Comment

Hi Mariefab & All,

Quick update.

Received a text message yesterday from one of the individuals I met at the first investigation meeting asking me to arrange an appointment time the next day to come in and review the meeting notes and if happy with them I could sign them. Message also stated that this would allow them to "move on quickly to the next stage".

I replied, by text, stating that whilst I was keen for this situation to be resolved speedily I would prefer a copy of the notes in advance to provide me with sufficient time to review. I also suggested that in order not to delay the process I would be happy to receive the notes by email.

I've not had any reply.

I was under the impression that all communication should be in writing and that I should be provided with at least forty eight hours notice of any further meetings, (according to ACAS)?

I'm unsure if the invitation to the meeting at such short notice should be looked upon positively or not?

As always any responses will be greatly appreciated - than you for the help.

Comment

Another quick update.

just been advised by text that they only post out notes in exceptional circumstances and this slows the whole process down. They cannot send by email.

I have sent a text back with times I can meet today,(I have to arrange childcare).

Still no response .

Comment

I would have thought it would be reasonable for them to provide you the notes, allow you to read them in your own time & take a set away with you at the end of the process.
          Sorry i'm just thinking out loud, it might be irrelevant, I am not employed in anyway in the legal profession, please ensure you research any advice I give before using it I have been known to be wrong on multiple occasions.

Comment

Originally posted by Snudger View Post
            Another quick update.

just been advised by text that they only post out notes in exceptional circumstances and this slows the whole process down. They cannot send by email.

I have sent a text back with times I can meet today,(I have to arrange childcare).

Still no response .
            I think you should be taking them away today and agreeing you will return them once you have had time to properly review them.

You need to feel comfortable while reviewing them to do it properly and you need to be thorough with your job on the line. This is not an unreasonable request given the potential end result.

I don't see why they couldn't email them to you.

More haste less speed.
            COMPLETING AN N180 DIRECTIONS QUESTIONNAIRE (SMALL CLAIMS TRACK) GUIDE

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

If the notes that you are asked to sign say anything you disagree with don't sign unless you add 'as received'.
              Last edited by mariefab; 9th August 2018, 11:14:AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mariefab View Post
                If the notes that you are asked to sign say anything you disagree with don't sign unless you add 'as received'.
                Hi Mariefab & All,

I asked for one amendment, something they forgot to include. It was changed and printed off for me to sign. I signed it and asked for a copy to take with me which was refused after a telephone call to HR.

Was advised that the next stage was for the investigators to meet with HR and present to them. I will then be informed of the next stage in the process.

I've got to admit that I feel pretty upset by today's outcome. I was hoping that they would have gathered sufficient evidence to identify the real culprit. I'm not getting a good feeling about where this is heading.

Thank you all for the support and advice today.

Comment

I was brought in as an outside investigator for a company that wanted me to investigate a theft and a fraudulent document that was used to obtain further money off site. One of the company directors wanted to be involved with me on the investigation. This company's employees were not part of any union association so the suspects were left with a choice of another employee.
                  I sent out a notice to the two employees who were suspected (They had been suspended prior to my involvement) advising them that I wished to interview them regarding the allegations in 7 days time, I also advised them they could bring a solicitor, fellow employee or a friend (The company director was horrified, complaining that what I advocated went far beyond what was required) The director's discomfort was made worse when I also advised the suspects that the interview would be recorded on a twin tape deck and they would be offered a copy at the conclusion of the interview.
                  The end result was that one employee was sacked for gross misconduct and the other exonerated.
                  My point is, in an investigation I feel it is important that the process is seen to be fair and transparent to the suspects, so they believe that you are only after the truth and not trying to 'set them up'. I can't understand why your employer would not send you the notes via email and also not let you take a copy away with you, just seems petty minded to me and doesn't instil much faith in their system or investigation.
                  Good luck with this matter and I hope it concludes quickly and you can resume your career.
                  Bluey
                  Last edited by Bluey4543; 9th August 2018, 23:16:PM. Reason: Brain fade due to late hour.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluey4543 View Post
                    My point is, in an investigation I feel it is important that the process is seen to be fair and transparent to the suspects, so they believe that you are only after the truth and not trying to 'set them up'. I can't understand why your employer would not send you the notes via email and also not let you take a copy away with you, just seems petty minded to me and doesn't instil much faith in their system or investigation.
                    Good luck with this matter and I hope it concludes quickly and you can resume your career.
                    Bluey
                    Hi Bluey,

Thank you for the comments.

I guess that's how I'm feeling about the whole thing. Perhaps I'm fearing the worst or over thinking it, it's just so difficult when you've been accused of something and you are not responsible for it, I feel like I want to keep defending myself. Its just so frustrating.

I remain concerned by the wording of their initial letter, the subsequent Investigation meeting and their lack of willingness to supply the notes in advance. Again, perhaps I'm just being paranoid, however, I can't help but feel that things are not going my way.

Thank's again.

Comment

I wouldn't be concerned about being denied a copy of the investigation notes.
                      HR have yet to decide what the next steps will be, if any in your case. So, it would be premature to release them to you now.

I know that it's hard not to be anxious. But, they're doing everything by the book so far.

Comment

Hi All,

Quick update.

I received a telephone call today from HR, (not the investigators) asking me to meet with them tomorrow to discuss the report.

My previous meetings have both been at a different location, not at my usual place of work. This meeting however is to be conducted at my usual place place of work and not a different location.

Not sure what to expect.

As always any advice or comments are greatly appreciated.

Thank's

Comment

Let's hope it's good news & you're starting back Monday
                          Sorry i'm just thinking out loud, it might be irrelevant, I am not employed in anyway in the legal profession, please ensure you research any advice I give before using it I have been known to be wrong on multiple occasions.

Comment

Originally posted by Phaeton View Post
                            Let's hope it's good news & you're starting back Monday
                            I live in hope.....

Comment

I think that this could be a very good sign.
                              As I said earlier they have been doing things by the book. Once HR have considered the investigation report the next step is for them to decide whether, or not, to progress to a disciplinary hearing.
                              If they'd decided to progress to a disciplinary they are not required to discuss it with you first. The next step would usually be to invite you to attend a disciplinary hearing telling you what allegations you would face and providing copies of the investigation report and any other relevant documents.
                              Instead they are inviting you to meet to discuss the report.

I've no idea what they will say but it's possible that they might say things like:
                              They are going to reinforce the policy about using swipecards.
                              Ban leaving the doors on the latch.

If it becomes clear to you that they are not taking things further I would ask what, if any, steps will be put in place to protect you from facing this same situation again. For example CCTV covering the whole office or always having another person with you.

On the other hand it's possible that they have decided to progress to a disciplinary and (because you are such a valued and long serving employee) they wish to first discuss their reasons for doing so with you in person instead of simply sending out the invitation.

Fingers crossed for the first option.

Comment

Please update us when you can as well, good luck.
                                COMPLETING AN N180 DIRECTIONS QUESTIONNAIRE (SMALL CLAIMS TRACK) GUIDE

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                                See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                                X