• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

MKDP re Barclaycard

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MKDP re Barclaycard

I know little about court claims, but am posting on behalf of my Sister-in-Law who has received a claim as per the title. This is for a card where I'm told there have been no payments or acknowledgements for about 12 years, so should be SB.

The court form was torn up and put in the bin (I know!), but she did send a letter stating nothing had been paid towards this for around 12 years and so she believed it was no longer payable. It was when she got a further letter from MKDP that she phoned me. The letter was asking her to confirm she wanted it allocated to the small claims track. Sis-in-Law is semi illiterate, so said there was no number of a form or anything.

I came on here when she contacted me via mobile, and read a section I try to avoid (Courts). I went to the CPR's and read some of those that appeared relevant. I then suggested that she:

1. Sent a CCA request to MKDP. I supplied a letter which was sent up to Manchester as they'd had their phone cut off, so no internet.

2. Suggested she ticked the box refusing allocation to a track, as in one of the CPR's, I think 31.1????? I'd read if the claim was allocated they did not have to comply with a 31.14 request (so it WAS a form - I was / am unfamiliar with the form numbers, but was clearly the N180 having now seen one). She stated she'd defend the claim.

3. She send a 31.14 request using the template from here - refusing allocation I hoped would mean they had to comply with it.

4. She send MKDP a Statute Barred letter.

Fast forward to yesterday. Phone line back on, and a phone call stating she'd received a letter from MKDP stating:

1. They couldn't comply with her CCA request themselves and needed to go back to Barclaycard (hopefully not much hope of them finding it after 12 years).

2. This is vague, apologies, but from what I could make out, they were stating they did not have to comply with 31.14 as it was under £10K and would be allocated to the small claims track. Then, there was something about disclosure 14 days before the hearing which meant nothing to me. No mention of the SB letter which has been signed for.

That is where we are now. I said I suspected they did have to comply but were trying not to, quite possibly because they have nothing to rely on. Also that SB is an absolute defence so they should know they would lose in court, but were probably trying to continue with the motions in the hope of scaring them into making a repayment plan (Sis-in-Law wouldn't do this in any case!)

So the questions:

1. What do I advise them now?

2. Is there something they should have done I missed?

3. Without even supplying a reconstituted copy of the CCA, can they take them to court? If they have to go back to Barclaycard, surely they must get a time extension? MKDP have failed to provide a copy at all within the time frame of 12+2 days, so my understanding is that at this point in time the debt is unenforceable at law. Am I right?

My Sis-in-Law is photocopying the letter they've had on Monday and sending it to me, so I should have it by Tuesday. I'll post a copy up as soon as I have it.

Thanks in advance for any help. I now know why I try to avoid courts, bailiffs are so much nicer!
    Tags: None

Re: MKDP re Barclaycard

lol, rather do courts than bailiffs any day of the week ! much less arguing in courts.

Would you happen to have a copy of the letter she sent to MKDP or court as that seems to have been taken as the defence to the claim.

2. Is there something they should have done I missed? Refusing allocation was probably a bit wonky - once she's entered a defence CPR 31.14 is too late, so if you can rectify before she sends that that'd be good, just agree to mediation and small claims track. assuming the claim is under £10k then 31.14 doesn't really apply anyway so stat barred and cca non compliance is plenty defence.

3. Without even supplying a reconstituted copy of the CCA, can they take them to court? If they have to go back to Barclaycard, surely they must get a time extension? MKDP have failed to provide a copy at all within the time frame of 12+2 days, so my understanding is that at this point in time the debt is unenforceable at law. Am I right? At this point in time yes but they can go on to produce it in 6 months and enforce it if it has all prescribed terms and whatnot, but it can be used in the defence for now and the court can order compliance or sanction with a strike out. Court will give them numerous chances to provide the cca before chucking the case out though.

My Sis-in-Law is photocopying the letter they've had on Monday and sending it to me, so I should have it by Tuesday. I'll post a copy up as soon as I have it. Good
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Would you happen to have a copy of the letter she sent to MKDP or court as that seems to have been taken as the defence to the claim? No, I don't sorry. It was handwritten and I think would almost certainly have been pretty hard to understand. I have been told what she intended to say in it verbally.

1. How do we rectify? Is it just a case of writing a letter to MKDP and agreeing in writing to the small claims track and mediation? If so, I'll write that and post it up to her for signing (will an electronic signature do in which case I can send it direct from here?) and get it in the post on Monday morning.

I'll post up the letter / paperwork she has been sent as soon as I receive it.

Thanks for your help on her behalf!

Comment

Rectify wise, on Monday ring the court and tell them you've sent in the wrong N181 and will be sending in the right one. Also ask them if its possible for them to send you a copy of your defence as you've lost it (worth asking). Say you've been to see CAB or something as you're a lit in person etc. Well you'll have to get your sis-in-law to ring really.
        #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

I have a feeling they will have no idea what court it is and will just say it's from MKDP, but I'll do my best.

Thanks.

Comment

It's Northampton business centre (if you've only just sent N181 off it will still be there)
            #staysafestayhome

Comment

OK - that should be easy enough to find. I've phoned her and she knows what she needs to do on Monday (at the moment lol!) I'll phone with a telephone number for her as well.

Comment

Amethyst,

I am working on the forms for SIL, are you sure it is the N181 I should be completing and not the N180. I think the one I talked her through was the N180.

N181 looks a bit of a nightmare to me.

Sorry to be a pain!

Comment

Sorry yes, n180 for small claims, there is a guide in the library if that helps. Sorry have had a few fast track claims lately.
                  #staysafestayhome

Comment

No probs lol! I thought it looked a bit daunting. I'll try the other one - I prefer one and a little bit pages to 6!

Comment

Here's the MKDP Letter (attached)

Also, my dear SIL phoned the court yesterday and rather than asking to submit a new N180 she accepted the court telling her she'd submitted one already. I've now posted the form to her (sent last night), asked her to sign it and send it to the court. Hopefully they'll accept the new one without any problems.

Ongoing thanks.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Standard letter from MKDP so don't worry about that.

While there is no CCA then it will be okay ( so long as she sent it)

Any luck getting hold of what she wrote to the court that was taken as being her defence?
                        #staysafestayhome

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
                          Standard letter from MKDP so don't worry about that.

While there is no CCA then it will be okay ( so long as she sent it)

Any luck getting hold of what she wrote to the court that was taken as being her defence?
                          OK, thank you. As you will be gathering SIL is not the most organised!!!!!!!! She forgot to ask about the defence letter. I've asked her to phone again today to ask if they can send her a copy.

The CCA request was sent, and apparently signed for. Nothing reported back to me re that as yet. :beagle:

Comment

SIL just phoned, and the court have said they won't send a copy of the defence. The new N180 has been signed and is being posted tomorrow, so hopefully they'll accept that.

Comment

Another very quick update to say my SIL has phoned to report the claim has been transferred to her local court just outside Manchester.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                              X