• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Please help! County court letter received.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also the paperwork doesn't have a signed credit agreement etc. it is just 2 letters from Vodafone asking for payment and statements of mobile phone usage. Also i don't think there is any document showing when the debt was sold on just a line in the witness statement (could be wrong on this though). However it looks like she is still bang to rights on the balance of probabilities anyway, hence her wanting to pay up.

Comment

Adobe isn't great for redacting documents unless you have the Pro version ( then you can use the redaction tool). When I don't have the Pro version I tend to do screenshots of each page and edit the image in Paint to remove personal details and post it as an image.
      #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

If she's intending on paying the full amount in one go then there wouldn't be a CCJ, as the claim is paid and there's no judgment.

If she's not paying the full amount and comes to a settlement then it is likely she would want to have the agreed settlement written under a consent order to put the claim on hold until such time as she has paid - sometimes that costs £100 to lodge with the court though so the discount negotiated would have to be more than £100 to make it worthwhile. Consent order/Tomlin orders examples http://legalbeagles.info/forums/foru...-credit-claims to get an idea what they are.
        #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

Originally posted by scoey1001 View Post
          Amethyst, i could post the document later today tomorrow

Since you say Lowells have exhibited a screenshot of your forum thread as part of their evidence to the court, it would be unwise to post up any documents (even redacted ones) or discuss your case in any detail, especially because you now know that they have been monitoring this thread.

If I were you I would ask Admin to move your thread to protect your legal position.

Di

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
            How would making payment in full result in a CCJ ??
            If they refused full and final settlement then proceeded to the hearing presenting the offer of payment as admission of the debt.

Given they have offered discounted settlement that is unlikely though.
            COMPLETING AN N180 DIRECTIONS QUESTIONNAIRE (SMALL CLAIMS TRACK) GUIDE

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

From what's been said it's not the thread, it's the example defence - but as I said previously ( email me if you prefer - admin@legalbeagles.info )
              #staysafestayhome

Comment

Diana, they did not mention this thread just that the template used is one found on this webiste.

Update: She has rang Lowells solicitors and with the 20% discount (which expired yesterday) the amount was £705. She initially offered them £500 to settle and they said £550 and it was done. Apparently they have told her that is the end of the matter and everything is cancelled?

Why would they do this? does it cost them that much to send someone to court they would negotiate down even though they have 'overwhelming' evidence? -confused-

Edit: she is now moaning that she should have made an even lower initial offer than the £500 lol. Do we think she has made an ok deal in the circumstances?

Comment

Originally posted by jaguarsuk View Post

If they refused full and final settlement then proceeded to the hearing presenting the offer of payment as admission of the debt.

No sure they can refuse payment in full and still proceed to court with the claim having been paid, but yes if it's an offer of a lower amount which isn't accepted, then they could do if the offer isn't made 'Without Prejudice'. I was simply going off the OP stating
                  My partner is calling them later today to pay the debt in full (with help from her mum) :-(
                  #staysafestayhome

Comment

Originally posted by scoey1001 View Post
                    Diana, they did not mention this thread just that the template used is one found on this webiste.

Update: She has rang Lowells solicitors and with the 20% discount the amount was £705. She initially offered them £500 to settle and they said £550 and it was done. Apparently they have told her that is the end of the matter and everything is cancelled?
                    She needs to ask them to put that in writing before making the payment ( email is fine ) and confirm they are accepting that £550 in full and final and that once they have the payment they will then discontinue the claim. If it's going to be a one off payment rather than installments I don't think there's any need for a consent order, but you should get them to confirm in writing before making the payment.
                    #staysafestayhome

Comment

• Originally posted by scoey1001 View Post

Update: She has rang Lowells solicitors and with the 20% discount (which expired yesterday) the amount was £705. She initially offered them £500 to settle and they said £550 and it was done. Apparently they have told her that is the end of the matter and everything is cancelled?

Why would they do this? does it cost them that much to send someone to court they would negotiate down even though they have 'overwhelming' evidence? -confused-
                      She needs to inform the court that it was settled, I assume they agreed to email a receipt for payment and if not get back on to them to ask for one. As them to confirm that the amount was paid in "Full and Final Settlement of Claim Number XXXXXX"

Then a copy can be forwarded to the court to confirm you have settled.

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

• Originally posted by Amethyst View Post

No sure they can refuse payment in full and still proceed to court with the claim having been paid, but yes if it's an offer of a lower amount which isn't accepted, then they could do if the offer isn't made 'Without Prejudice'. I was simply going off the OP stating
                        Agreed and as I thought from the latest development they're not going to turn down even the lower amount given what they will have paid for it.

Comment

• Originally posted by jaguarsuk View Post

That was the point I was making.

Negotiations must always be conducted "Without Prejudice" . Phone calls can be WP.

Di

Comment

• Originally posted by Amethyst View Post

She needs to ask them to put that in writing before making the payment ( email is fine ) and confirm they are accepting that £550 in full and final and that once they have the payment they will then discontinue the claim. If it's going to be a one off payment rather than installments I don't think there's any need for a consent order, but you should get them to confirm in writing before making the payment.
                            I think the ship has sailed on this one, seems as though they paid on the phone there and then!

Comment

• Originally posted by Diana M View Post

That was the point I was making.

Negotiations must always be conducted "Without Prejudice" . Phone calls can be WP.

Di
                              Totally agree, the latest development of paying on the phone and not having agreed F&F prior leaves them wide open to this being continued to a CCJ.

I just hope they are true to their word and this is the end of it for the OP's sake.

Comment

• Originally posted by jaguarsuk View Post

I think the ship has sailed on this one, seems as though they paid on the phone there and then!
                                This is correct. I have just texted her to ring them back and ask for email confirmation.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                                See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                                X