• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Web Site Ownership

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Web Site Ownership

A friend of mine has asked me for help in sorting out a dilemma.

He has a site, which is owned by the person who set up his site. He did not like the constant barrage of charges being levied on him by this company, and told them to pull the plug.

The site has now been removed from the net but the company is demanding money to release the domain name elsewhere (£50) as I understand it. He told the company to kill the domain name as well as the site and that, as far as he was concerned, he owed nothing. As he disowned the domain name and the site.

He was apparently paid up to date at the time of pulling the plug. Can he still be liable for levies simply because the domain name is still 'live'.

I have had several domain names that I owned and ran sites for a local building company, all at cost. When they called to cancel a site and promote a new one, I asked my hosts and domain name registrar and they said simply let it die on renewal date - NO CHARGE!
    Darkness is only the absence of light; ignorance is only the absence of knowledge.
    Tags: None

Re: Web Site Ownership

If the website is owned by the company who set it up, surely they are pursuing the wrong person?

Comment

The website address is rented from Nominet (in the case of a .co.uk)
      The 'rent' (in fact domain registration charge) is owed by the domain's registered owner.
      If your man has no agreement to pay with the registered owner then it is the owner of the domain's problem.

I also host for others, when they don't want a domain anymore I just turn it off & the domain dies a natural death with no further charges from Nominet or other registrar.

Comment

Further:

£50 domain name release increasing at £10 per month until paid!! This is an 'administration charge' for the domain name???? March 2012 is the domain name expiry.
        Darkness is only the absence of light; ignorance is only the absence of knowledge.

Comment

Check the original terms & conditions between your friend & the hosting company. Esp with regard to notice period. When you are sure he has given the correct notice period tell them where to get off

Comment

will pass it on, tks

Comment

You can have the domain changed to a new hosting provide by going direct through nominet theres a small fee about £15 i think, regardless of the current/previous hosting companies terms - Plus nominet will likely not be impressed with size of the fee they are asking for to release the domain name either as it maywell be in breach of nominets terms and conditions and could see them banned from registering domains with Nominet. But if you paid for the Domain Name then you own it, you also own all the content on the website, the other company was simply paid to create/design the site and then paid monthly to host the site.

Heres a link to the relevant page on Nominets site for transfering to a new hosting company (i.e. registrar) - Nominet - Change Registrar

And heres is nominets fee schedule that it charges web hosts - you will see it only charges the web hosting company £10 to transfer a domain, meaning your friends web hosting company are making a £40 (400%) profit. - Nominet - Fee Schedule

Deffo make a complaint to nominet about the company in question.
              Last edited by teaboy2; 21st November 2011, 16:20:PM.
              Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Always seek the advice of an insured qualified professional. All my legal and nonlegal knowledge comes from either here (LB),my own personal research and experience and/or as the result of necessity as an Employer and Businessman.

By using my advice in any form, you agreed to waive all rights to hold myself or any persons representing myself of any liability.

If you PM me, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private. All PMs that are sent in missuse (including but not limited to phishing, spam) of the PM application and/or PMs that are threatening or abusive will be reported to the Site Team and if necessary to the police and/or relevant Authority.

I AM SO GOING TO GET BANNED BY CEL FOR POSTING terrible humour POSTS.

The Governess; 6th March 2012 GRRRRRR

Comment

it is my belief that Nominet will only provide this remedy to the registered owner of a domain.
                i.e. if I register a domain for you, in your name, they will transfer the domain to a different registrar upon your request & fee payment. however if I register the domain in my name but allow you to use it they will not transfer the domain to another registrar on your request - logically, you have no contract with them in the second circumstance.

The amounts a company charges for hosting & registration are between it and it's customers IMHO

Comment

Originally posted by New_Age_Biker View Post
                  it is my belief that Nominet will only provide this remedy to the registered owner of a domain.
                  i.e. if I register a domain for you, in your name, they will transfer the domain to a different registrar upon your request & fee payment. however if I register the domain in my name but allow you to use it they will not transfer the domain to another registrar on your request - logically, you have no contract with them in the second circumstance.

The amounts a company charges for hosting & registration are between it and it's customers IMHO
                  Yes but industry standard in terms of such charges would play a vital role in determining the reasonableness and fairness of their charges.
                  Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Always seek the advice of an insured qualified professional. All my legal and nonlegal knowledge comes from either here (LB),my own personal research and experience and/or as the result of necessity as an Employer and Businessman.

By using my advice in any form, you agreed to waive all rights to hold myself or any persons representing myself of any liability.

If you PM me, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private. All PMs that are sent in missuse (including but not limited to phishing, spam) of the PM application and/or PMs that are threatening or abusive will be reported to the Site Team and if necessary to the police and/or relevant Authority.

Comment

thanks gents.

Comment

Did you get the matter resolved through nominet?

Comment

I told the site' owner' who later told me he had settled the issue with a monetary advance of £50. I told him he was daft to concede. I do not know if the site has been transfered, but seriously doubt it.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                        Working...
                        X