• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

School Fees Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• School Fees Question

Hi there,

I would really appreciate some advice on what to do. My son is 5 and started Reception last September. Prior to starting school, he was in a private nursery. We applied for State Schools in our area but only got one very far away from where we live with a bad reputation so we decided to leave him in his current school where the nursery class feeds into a Prep School. We were told by the local council that we were on a waiting list for a State School close by but that there was no guarantee of a place. The private school costs over £5,000 per term so as you can imagine, we were very keen for a State School place to come up as we can't really afford this sort of money. A week into Reception, a place came up in a local state school and we accepted it. We told the Private School what happened and moved him into the State School. As expected, they sent us a bill about 2 weeks later for the £5,000 as payment in lieu of a full term's notice as per the terms and condition (which we had signed when he started in their nursery a year before). We then didn't hear from them and stupidly we hoped they had let us off as we let them know quite soon after the start of term, the 2nd week, when they were still doing the staggered hours for Reception. However, we received an email out of the blue from them last week (8 months later) where they have sent us an invoice for the initital £5,000 we knew about but now also for the term which he had started and did just over a week of. In total they've billed us nearly £10,000 which is a big shock. I accept we owe them the £5,000 for the lack of notice but being charged in addition for the term that he only just had started and was there for just over a week seems excessive. I'm not sure if they are just trying it on or are legally entitled to charge for 2 terms. The Ts and Cs say if notice of a full term is not given then they will charge a full term fees. I assume in our case that because we pulled him out a week into the term that they'd just charge us the one term and not 2. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    Tags: None

We'll need to see a full copy of the T&C's along with the emails sent to terminate the place then all subsequent letters/emails since. Please remove any personal information when posting them to remain anonymous.

I'm involved in another very similar thread, it's weird how these things seem to come along at the same time.
    COMPLETING AN N180 DIRECTIONS QUESTIONNAIRE (SMALL CLAIMS TRACK) GUIDE

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

many thanks. I'll upload the details this evening

Comment

Hi, find attached the relevant documents + the letter which arrived by post this week. We had a meeting with the headteacher where we terminated the place on 21 Sep 17. The same day i emailed the teacher to confirm that I had met the headteacher and terminated the place. I've attached those emails. Also, going through all the details now I realise they did invoice us for the circa £10k (payment in lieu of notice + the autumn terms which he just had begun. the body of their email only mentioned the £5k in lieu of notice but the attached invoice also includes the autumn terms on top of this) back in Sep 17 then nothing until the email on the 22 May 18. Now a letter by post (attached). The payment in lieu notice i accept but charging us for the term which he had only just begun on top of the payment in lieu of notice doesn't seem right. Many thanks in advance.
        Attached Files

Comment

Hi, just wondering if you've had a chance to review?

Comment

Originally posted by roflynn View Post
            Hi, just wondering if you've had a chance to review?
            I do apologise I did not see those posted in June and I am about to leave for the day.

Post a reply to this thread now, that way I'll have a notification on it in the morning and can take a look over things for you.

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

Okay I have had a chance to read the terms and emails.

Their terms and conditions do not say that once a term has started they are entitled to bill for that full term if you leave, what they do say is that if you withdraw without a full term of notice being given then a full term of fees are then payable in lieu of notice.

Therefore they are entitled to a full term in lieu of notice and a daily rate for the number of days your child was at the school in that term, not the remainder of the term.

I would write back saying as much, that should they commence legal proceedings you will defend them vigorously and if successful will seek costs of and occasioned in dealing with their claim.

Unfortunately if you were to be involved in a claim they will win a terms of fees in lieu of notice and the pro rata amount form the time your child was there, so if they accept that is the case you would be well advised to make an arrangement to pay that figure and them not issue a claim.

Comment

Much appreciated. I'll let you know what they say.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X