• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Commercial Construction - Legal Query

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Commercial Construction - Legal Query

Hi Everyone. I'll try to keep this as to the point as possible.

We have recently undertaken some commercial air conditioning installation works. The job concluded at Christmas 2015 and since then we have returned to site a handful of times in early 2016 to complete snagging works.

Last week we received a letter stating that were being sued for a sum of £200k for incorrect installations. They have provided a detailed report and there are some areas where we appear to have installed incorrectly/against manufacturer's guidelines. The client has employed another company to carry out the rectifying works, their costs totalling a sum of £200k.

However, at no point from when we completed the snagging works in early 2016 were we ever contacted about these incorrect installations. If we were contacted, we would have returned to site to rectify, and could have even provided the client with extended warranties on the kit. We were never told that anything was wrong with our installation, or that another company would be brought in if we did not rectify.

My question is, is it legal for the client to do this, or are they supposed to give us an opportunity to put things right? Like I say, we had zero contact from them whatsoever until the letter arrived last week detailing all of the rectifying works that had been carried out without our knowledge. I suspect it is a total stitch-up, as surely if they wanted us to put things right they would have been threatening us with court action if we did not attend site to rectify.

Any information would be helpful. Many thanks
    Tags: None

Well first of all, this is a commercial arrangement so was there a written contract and if so, what does it say about breaches?
    If there's no written contract then it could be difficult but I guess your argument would be they ought to have raised the issue with you first and put you on notice rather than going ahead and getting works done and then putting you on notice.

Also, did the letter come from the client or their solicitors? Did it actually say that you are going to be sued for £200k? Do you any legal expenses insurance to cover you in situations like this?
    If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Thanks for your reply Rob.

There was a contract sent through to us with our order, but it was not signed by us. The contract does not mention the procedure for defective works.

And yes the letter came from their solicitors, stating we were being charged for the £200k of remedial works.

Comment

Well it would be helpful to see the order and the terms. Sometimes the order will say that it is being placed on their standard terms and you would therefore be bound by them. Given the large sum of money involved you should ideally be looking for some proper independent legal advice or look to see if you have legal expenses cover.
        If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
        LEGAL DISCLAIMER
        Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Carrying out contracts of this size?
          rather than legal expenses insurance you should be looking to your professional indemnity insurance (if you have the cover)

Comment

Does the letter say it's a letter before claim (or letter before action)? If so, then you can get some help online but for a possible £200,000 claim you should be taking legal advice. Yes it will cost you a fair bit, but if they've spent £200,000 on repairs they are going to come after you for it.
            Generally speaking the customer had a duty to mitigate its loss, and by contracting with someone else to do the work for £200k and only then telling you about it, it has failed in that duty. But that doesn't get you off the hook entirely.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X