• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Older people and benefits.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Older people and benefits.

A lady aged 65 is unable to walk more than a few metres with a walking frame. Her husband (66) can drive but as they are both on basic pension plus pension credit and council tax benefits that cannot afford to buy or run a car. They live in the village where they were born, 9 miles from the nearest town and there are now no buses.

They can only get to the shops on those few occasions when an elderly neighbour takes them so they mostly have to eat tinned and packet food and are substantially confined to their home. Social Services inform them that as they are aged over 60 they have no mobility rights at all and so no other benefits are available, but a nearby immigrant woman in her 40s who is disabled to a lesser degree and has a husband and daughter aged 9 has a free car and financial support to run it and much more in the way of benefits.

Surely there is something wrong about this or is it simply another case of British ageism and injustice? .
    Tags: None

Re: Older people and benefits.

Hi Geoffrey,
    Your last sentence gives you your answer in itself If it was not for our children helping us run our car ( 11 year Old Vauxhall Astra) we would be in a similar position ......we are 78.
    Sparkie

Comment

Whilst agreeing with the thrust of your concerns, I'm immediately struck that there is no mention of attendance allowance in their income.
      Are you sure they are receiving all they are entitled to?

Comment

I don't know a lot about benefits I'm afraid, but this appears to be a good reputable site which may help you:

http://www.ageuk.org.uk/money-matter...ming-benefits/

Comment

Originally posted by geoffrey View Post
          A lady aged 65 is unable to walk more than a few metres with a walking frame. Her husband (66) can drive but as they are both on basic pension plus pension credit and council tax benefits that cannot afford to buy or run a car. They live in the village where they were born, 9 miles from the nearest town and there are now no buses.

They can only get to the shops on those few occasions when an elderly neighbour takes them so they mostly have to eat tinned and packet food
          They could try ordering online from one of the big supermarkets. These days you don't even need a computer, you can do so on a tablet or phone. :cell:

and are substantially confined to their home. Social Services inform them that as they are aged over 60 they have no mobility rights at all and so no other benefits are available, but a nearby immigrant woman in her 40s who is disabled to a lesser degree and has a husband and daughter aged 9 has a free car and financial support to run it and much more in the way of benefits.
          How about DLA?

Comment

Originally posted by FlamingParrot View Post
            :cell:

How about DLA?

Disability Living Allowance (DLA) is a benefit that has been replaced by Personal Independence Payment (PIP) for all new claimants. If you need help with personal care or have difficulty walking and you're under 65, you must apply for PIP.
            What if I'm over 65?

If you're over 65 and have care needs, you may be able to claimAttendance Allowance.

Comment

What on earth has the immigration status of the nearby woman got to do with anything?

Comment

I expect they are not claiming the benefits they are entitled to the Neighbours are no doubt claiming as long as they are getting what they are legally entitled to they have no effect on the couple the OP highlights.
                We cannot put the blame on Immigrants if they are?for all the wrongs of the country.

Maybe Geoffrey should help them?

Comment

Originally posted by wales01man View Post

We cannot put the blame on Immigrants if they are?for all the wrongs of the country.

Indeed. As anyone who watched Newsnight on Thursday night will know, it was made abundantly clear that immigrants add more to our economy than they claim in benefits.

Sometimes it can appear to others that disabilities are not as bad as they actually are; Do you really know how much the lady down the road gets, or are you making assumptions?

Comment

The lady who I am concerned about and her husband worked all their life and paid their taxes. Her neighbour arrived from abroad and has not paid any taxes yet she boasts about her benefits including a new fitted kitchen and bath room and a new car. It appears that the discrimination is due entirely to the fact of age discrimination and it is that which is unfair. The couple are not entitled to an attendance allowance as they can look after themselves.

Comment

I'm afraid I will not be responding to any further posts by Geoffrey - I try to adopt a non-prejudiced attitude to everybody but will not waste my time on hypothetical questions from bigots.

Comment

I am surprised at your stance on this Geoffrey, considering your position, I am quite disappointed.
                        #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

The lady who I am concerned about and her husband worked all their life and paid their taxes. Her neighbour arrived from abroad and has not paid any taxes yet she boasts about her benefits including a new fitted kitchen and bath room and a new car. It appears that the discrimination is due entirely to the fact of age discrimination and it is that which is unfair. The couple are not entitled to an attendance allowance as they can look after themselves.
                          I take it this is someone who you know personally rather than someone who has phoned in to the charity for which you work then? This is all the more disturbing as it portrays the 'real' you, rather than the person you have to be in your role as a charity volunteer worker.

There is a well known saying, "Appearances can be deceptive." I note you say, "It appears that the discrimination is due entirely to the fact of age discrimination ..........."

Appearances can be deceptive. It is entirely possible you do not know the neighbour as well as you think.

Comment

The couple are not entitled to an attendance allowance as they can look after themselves.
                            That is not the criteria for attendance allowance.
                            If no claim has been made suggest someone reads this link:http://www.ageuk.org.uk/Documents/EN...n-GB?dtrk=true

Comment

Oh dear where do I start
                              Firstly looking at PIP, sadly the criteria for mobilising includes the use of aids such as a frame as did the criteria for DLA before
                              May I suggest that a claim is made for AA for each person , get on the phone to a welfare rights team or indeed age uk

Finally and most sadly at all, the immigration status of the other person has sod all to do with it and I can not believe that such xenophobic and possibly racist comments are allowed on here.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X