• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Forthcoming ATOS assessment.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Forthcoming ATOS assessment.

I take your point Wales, and I understand where you're coming from. There is a lady in our village who has regular mini strokes (there's nothing wrong with her!) in order to stay on the sick. Her husband can't work due to some other ailment, yet does lots of work for people cash in hand around the village. They are experts at working the system, drive a brand new mobility car, and have pots of money.

I used to report the people when we moved here, but I've given up for the simple reason the DWP have NEVER done anything about it. It makes you wonder why they spend (waste) all that money on advertising asking the public to report benefit theft, cos they do sod all about it when you do.

Comment

Originally posted by labman View Post
      I take your point Wales, and I understand where you're coming from. There is a lady in our village who has regular mini strokes (there's nothing wrong with her!) in order to stay on the sick. Her husband can't work due to some other ailment, yet does lots of work for people cash in hand around the village. They are experts at working the system, drive a brand new mobility car, and have pots of money.

I used to report the people when we moved here, but I've given up for the simple reason the DWP have NEVER done anything about it. It makes you wonder why they spend (waste) all that money on advertising asking the public to report benefit theft, cos they do sod all about it when you do.
      Funny, but it nearly always tends to be those with plenty of money who are the ones who do this sort of thing. One couple who did this managed to wangle £426,000 out of the DWP over a 10-year period. They are currently serving jail sentences and the houses, luxury cars and boat they bought with the money have been seized under POCA to recoup the £426,000.
      Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

Think its call GREED got there comeuppance though the system is there to be abused just don't get caught but then again only a few do

Comment

Originally posted by bluebottle View Post
          Funny, but it nearly always tends to be those with plenty of money who are the ones who do this sort of thing. One couple who did this managed to wangle £426,000 out of the DWP over a 10-year period. They are currently serving jail sentences and the houses, luxury cars and boat they bought with the money have been seized under POCA to recoup the £426,000.
          http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-7million.html

Comment

And also, from the same diseased organ, http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ry-UKs-10.html

However, if you really believe that crap, you will believe almost anything! As one might expect from the Daily Wail, the story is less than truthful.

Read http://tompride.wordpress.com/2013/0...-doesnt-exist/

Then watch:

Comment

An update for anyone who may being facing an assessment by ATOS, or merely interested in what happens:- A few weeks after the fiasco of my appointment being cancelled while I was actually there waiting for it, I was given another appointment, on a day which I had previously said that I would not be available, this was sorted on the phone by the kindly local ATOS receptionist, and eventually, another arrived, which I attended, with a mental health support worker. On the day, I was moderately depressed, but being genuine, and having some support, was feeling confident that I could accurately describe my illness and explain why I am unable to work in a conventional sense. The assessor was an aggressive female "healthcare professional" of Nigerian or Somali origin who could neither speak, nor understand English properly;- both I and my support worker had to keep asking her to repeat questions, and to correct her when she read back complete distortions of my responses. I was asked about things I enjoyed, I spoke about my dog, and how his needs made me function no matter how badly I was feeling. Three minutes later: "Do you have any pets?". Then "Do you wash your hair?" (I am completely bald). And so it went on.
              Outside after the event, my support worker was very reassuring, telling me that she really didn't see how I would not be awarded the necessary 15 points, on several different criteria.
              Some weeks later, I received my refusal of ESA, from an unidentified "decision maker" on the grounds of being awarded zero points by the ATOS assessor, the content of my original questionaire, and a report made by a GP who had never met me.
              BPD, causes extreme swings of mood, and energy, currently I am in manic mode, and getting higher, which is probably why I am typing this at 04 something in the morning, so am well up for a fight with officialdom, in an intellectual, or physical sense;- I don't much care. I have written to the DWP, asking them for a "Mandatory Reconsideration", which is a new stage introduced to make life more difficult before an appeal can be launched, and naturally, ccd my local MP.
              I now await developments..........

Comment

You could do worse than contacting Private Eye with your story. They have been running stories like yours (although this one is particulary onerous) and usually ask ATOS or DWP to comment which often results in them reviewing and reversing their decisions.

I would e-mail them at the 'Editorial' e-mail address here http://www.private-eye.co.uk/pages.php?page=contact marking the subject as 'My incredible ATOS decision' and simply copy and paste the story in your post into the e-mail.

Alternatively we could do it for you although we'd need to include your e-mail address should they wish to contact you.

Comment

Out of interest, was the assessment recorded?
                  CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
                  Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
                  gets his brain a-going.
                  Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
                  The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

If the "healthcare professional" did not understand English, one might wonder why (and how) she was registered to work in the UK.
                    Is there a UK Register for Witchdoctors?

Comment

Originally posted by charitynjw View Post
                      Out of interest, was the assessment recorded?
                      Yes, I had been advised to ask for a recording when this originally rose its head;- amazingly, the recordings are on cassette tape, so I have been unable to play mine yet, although I do plan to buy a second-hand tape player, if I can find one.

Comment

Originally posted by CleverClogs View Post
                        If the "healthcare professional" did not understand English, one might wonder why (and how) she was registered to work in the UK.
                        Is there a UK Register for Witchdoctors?
                        I have queried this both with the DWP and ATOS, in the stroppy letter I wrote to them asking for all her personal and qualification details so that I can report her to the police for attempt to defraud, and to the immigration authorities for investigation.

Comment

Originally posted by Cynic View Post
                          Yes, I had been advised to ask for a recording when this originally rose its head;- amazingly, the recordings are on cassette tape, so I have been unable to play mine yet, although I do plan to buy a second-hand tape player, if I can find one.
                          Do you not have anywhere nearby that do that kind of thing for you I know they transfer old videos onto cds, be better than hunting down and paying for a tape player .

Comment

The cat is out of the bag where ATOS and their reports are concerned. It is now public knowledge that they change reports to make them fit IDS's "fit for work" mantra. Strictly and technically speaking, it is misrepresentation. As for the DWP, they can be just as bad for stretching the truth or even telling downright untruths. They tried that with me, knowing the matter was going to appeal. HMCTS were not impressed and to say there they were not happy bunnies is an understatement.

If you intend making a formal complaint about the healthcare professional, this might be of help -

Doctors = General Medical Council (GMC)
                            Nurses and Midwives = Nursing & Midwifery Council (NMC)
                            Other healthcare professionals = Healthcare Professionals Council (HCPC)

These are the regulatory bodies who have the power to suspend them from practising or, ultimately, strike them from the appropriate register and prevent them from practising.

The other thing I would recommend you do is contact your MP with regard to pursuing a complaint against DWP with the Parliamentary & Health Service Ombudsman (PHSO). This can, sometimes, put the wind up Decision Makers and their managers and put pressure on them to explain or justify their decisions. However, referrals to the PHSO have to be through your MP who can supply you with the requisite form.
                            Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

Originally posted by bluebottle View Post
                              The cat is out of the bag where ATOS and their reports are concerned. It is now public knowledge that they change reports to make them fit IDS's "fit for work" mantra.

Comment

I have had a telephone response from the DWP saying that they see no reason to change the decision, but nothing in writing, save that benefit ceases for the duration of reconsideration and any subsequent appeal. I have reported the nurse to immigration, researched her on the NMC site (thank you Bluebottle), finding that whilst she is registered, she has no recorded qualifications whatsoever! I have filed a malpractice complaint with NMC and contacted my MP, although he is a "Sir", and has failed to even acknowledge my e-mail, much less actually deign to help.
                                Last edited by Cynic; 15th November 2013, 11:21:AM. Reason: Grammatical error

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X