• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

HB Over payment

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HB Over payment

Some time ago someone from my local council visited my home to discuss if i was entitled to pension credit, after checking my details they told me i wasnt entitled to pension credit but could claim help with my rent and council tax, they filled out the application and i started ro receive benefit.
    This June I reached 65 and started to receive my state pension.
    I notified the council that my situation had changed and received a letter stating there had been a considerable amount of over payment due to an underlying entitlement to carers allowance which had stopped during the time i was receiving benefit and they say i failed to notify them.
    Between the time i started to receive benefit till the time i started to receive state pension I had never received carers allowance and my situation had never changed so had no need to notify them of any changes.
    I first received a letter saying the over payments would be written off, now they are saying i have to pay it, i am quite baffled by their claims and the whole situation is making me ill, can anyone help me all the advice centres in my area have closed and i dont know which way to turn.
    Tags: None

Re: HB Over payment

Hi,
    You don't need to notify of any changes if thoses changes don't affect entitlement.
    See R v Passmore
    http://business.timesonline.co.uk/to...cle1996518.ece

I'm no expert on benefits, but I would start by asking the council for written proof of any overpayments

I imagine other members will be better able to advise you on this

Comment

I have been through something similar recently. By far the quickest way to get it sorted is to contact your MP.

Comment

There is usually an appeals process you can go through, the details of how to appeal should be included with the letter they sent informing you of the overpayment,
        Is no longer here

Comment

Follow Casper's Advice and send a letter or email to your local MP.

Give the basic facts and the MP will contact you if more info is required.

If you know the name of your local MP you can search for thier website and get all contact details.

I have always had good service and good results when I have had issues that became deadlocked. Good Luck

Comment

Gerr,

If you search my posts you will see I had an ongoing overpayment battle which lasted 8 years where they accused (and allegedly proved) a case of fraud against her which she did not commit. Once the MP became involved it was resolved within a week.

Send him/her evidence of everything you've said here and it will be sorted.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X