• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

tax credit self employmentThread Stats Views: 124 WW Factor Coming Soon... Share This

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tax credit self employmentThread Stats Views: 124 WW Factor Coming Soon... Share This

hi everyone

really hope someone can help!!

basically since 2008 my partner has been self employed and we have been entitled to tax credits.

however around three weeks ago i found out that i had completed my tax credits annual reviews wrong from 2008.

it was never explained to me by the tax credit office when i rang to renew that they only wanted my partners net profit for that year and instead i gave an overall amount without taking off the allowable expenses. Due to him previously always being employed by a company we had no understanding at all with regards to self employment and tax credits.

so for 3 tax years i should have been entitled to working tax and i have never had any.

i have recently contacted them to ask for these figures to be changed and although they have changed this years because my claim has yet to be finalized, but the previous years they have forwarded my request on to the head office.

i contacted them today for an update and the guy on the telephone told me that they should have picked up on the fact that the income was wrong as they can see my partners self assessment tax returns, and then advised me that tax credits probably wouldn't amend the previous years as it meant they would owe me money.

i was shocked to hear this as if i owed them money it wouldn't matter how many years had passed they would continue to to want their overpayment back

sorry for the long

any advice would be appreciated

thanks
    Last edited by catte; 15th July 2011, 19:26:PM.
    Tags: None

Re: tax credit self employmentThread Stats Views: 124 WW Factor Coming Soon... Share

AS far as I am aware, you cannot backdate claims for WFTC. The onus is on you to give them the right info in the first place, I believe.
    Is no longer here

Comment

Re: tax credit self employmentThread Stats Views: 124 WW Factor Coming Soon... Share

Very tricky. From a quick read I think you should automatically ge it backdated for 3 months.

Also found this:

Revenue and Customs
      For similar problems with the Revenue and Customs Tax Credit Office or National Insurance Contributions Office, get the factsheet "Complaints and Putting Things Right" and leaflet AO1- “How to complain about Revenue and Customs”. Send a letter to either of the above offices clearly stating the complaint. If unsuccessful, write to the Independent Adjudicator whose details are in leaflet AO1. Payments may be made to compensate for worry and distress due to Revenue and Customs mistakes.

The above is related to compensation claims due to them mesing up.

Comment

But they didn't mess up. As far as I am aware it is the claimants responsibility to give correct information. The 3 months backdated is usually ok, but I believe this relates to when a claim commences, as there can sometimes be a delay in processing, and they will usually pay from the date that you fill in the form, even if it takes 3 months or so to get it sorted.
        Is no longer here

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X