• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Urgent help needed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Urgent help needed

Hi,

I'm new here thank you for reading my post.

Please don't pass judgement. I've come here because I desperately need help.

I am a single parent and receive benefits, but I'm just looking for advice before i apply for means tested benefits.

A family member passed away some time ago, leaving me a small percentage of their property, but it's held in a life interest trust, with life tenant living in the property. I've kind of written it off, as I'll never likely see anything from it in my life time.

Please can someone advise if this will be a problem for claiming means tested benefits?

Does the fact the portion is in trust mean I'll be able to claim means tested benefits? or does it affect my entitlement in some way?

I'm really worried, because I can't get anything out of the property, and it has a life tenant that has the right to live in it, for their life time. But I can't survive on the little I have now, especially with how my health is declining.

​​​​​​I really am grateful of any help.
    Tags: None

This benefit is not deemed to be yours at present, so dont worry. It will only become yours when the life tenant dies and not before and will not be shown anywhere as yours until then.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam101 View Post
      This benefit is not deemed to be yours at present, so dont worry. It will only become yours when the life tenant dies and not before and will not be shown anywhere as yours until then.
      Thank you so much for your reply. When you say benefit do you mean benefit from the property? Or that I cannot claim means tested benefits yet?
      ​​​
      Do I need to declare this when applying or do I not need to as its not technically mine?

Does it matter that I'm a trustee and a beneficiary? I thought only a discretionary trust was disregarded for state benefits, so is the life interest trust with life tenant also disregarded?

Thank you

Best wishes

Comment

You have no inherited benefit until the life interest has died.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X