• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Letter from fraud department, so stupid and scared

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Letter from fraud department, so stupid and scared

I got a letter from the councils fraud team yesterday saying they will be interviewing me under caution for fraud in relation to the self isolation £500 payment

I’m absolutely mortified, didn't sleep at all last night and keep throwing up with stress.

On the 17th of June, I received a message from my daughters after school care. That a member of staff had tested positive for Covid. And that they were closing the after-school care and notifying parents if their child had been a close contact.

They also told parents needed to come and collect their child asap.

Upon collection I was told by one of the workers who checked a list that my daughter was a close contact and would have to isolate.

A message was then posted through their messaging app confirming this.

I calculated this as her having to be off school until 25th June.

As a I am single parent with a court order in place as the resident parent. I must look after her as her mum has very little contact

I had heard of the £500 support and could apply for the support payment as I was staying at home with her and that I get universal credit with a child element. I applied for this the same night in a panic and included the requested documentation.

At the time I was very stressed, as my daughter kept constantly crying that she was going to get ill and be in hospital. Been away for work, due to be the only person in a busy department and very important appointment the next day. I also suffer from depression and anxiety which I am on medication for. I had presumed I would have a deduction from my salary.

Due to my ongoing anxiety and stress at work, by the time I was paid the next salary, I did not think to check the amount and had completely forgotten about the award. My salary had also changed over the previous months due to part time furlough.

I've spoken to a solicitor this morning, who says as its under caution I can get help from them for free. They are going to now contact the council to say I'm been represent and I will be doing the zoom meeting from their offices.

I feel so stupid and angry with myself for getting into this situation through nothing more then my on stupidity.

I work in a school, so if I am prosectured I will lose my job.

Has anyone heard of a case like this and what the likely outcome would be? going to court, prison etc

The interview isn't until next Friday and I can already feel to the point of a berakdown and its not even been 24 hours
    Tags: None

Hi Aldmi

If I have understood correctly the payment should have been deducted from your salary, but wasn't. However you arrived there, it's just a case of the correct admin hasn't happened. Even if there is no intention, it sounds like the investigating process is the same. I think that it sounds worse then it actually is.

Just put your case forward, try not to worry, things always seem a lot worse then they actually are. Try not to worry.

Comment

HI,

It was the covid isolation payment of £500 if you have to isolate or look afetr a child isolating,

I didn't think I would get paid from work and applied for the award in a panic.

I then totally forgot to check my salary when I was next paid and paid as normal now ive looked back

Comment

Originally posted by Aldmi View Post
        HI,

It was the covid isolation payment of £500 if you have to isolate or look afetr a child isolating,

I didn't think I would get paid from work and applied for the award in a panic.

I then totally forgot to check my salary when I was next paid and paid as normal now ive looked back
        That's exactly what you need to tell them. Explain that it was a busy time for you, kids aren't easy to look after at the best of times and when things are really manic, i.e.COVID then it's a nightmare. It was 'remiss' of you, that's all. You won't be the only one this has happened too.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X