• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Care home fees

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Care home fees

Hello, it's been a while!
    I have been lurking though!
    My brother is now in a residential home , has income from his state pension and a work pension from HMRC. He has capacity to make his own decisions,
    Earlier today I had had a call from the home asking me if I had power of attourney ( I don't)
    He had been to his bank and they said he did not have an account ( despite him having a Debit Card in his name, problem is he had forgotten his pin .They then said he had nothing in this account.
    He is livid that his care home bills have not been paid and not much I can do as I now live in East Anglia and he is in Cheshire and he hasn’t got a working phone.
    What, can I do. spoken to the home and they agreed to phone Social Services .
    Last edited by dogtired; 8th February 2021, 17:33:PM.
    Never give up, Never surrender.
    Tags: None

Sounds very iffy - Has someone had access? Cleaned it out and closed the account.

Comment

Not sure but I agree. Time to get Social Services involved I think.
      Last edited by dogtired; 5th February 2021, 18:25:PM.

Comment

It's been an frustrating day, Promised call backs have not happened Cannot get through at all to Social Services in Cheshire. Phoned the home again and they are doing their best to sort things out . Having worked in Care Homes it always frustrated me that.the system is flawed a person that owns property effectively has to sign the property over and when they die the fees are taken out of the equity. Less well off have a cap on savings and if over it have to pay, not sure what happens now when it dips below this. Wish I could help more as I strongly suspect there is something dodgy going on
        Last edited by dogtired; 8th February 2021, 18:56:PM.

Comment

Update, Sicial worker has been in touch has promised she will visit him on Friday and hopefully appoint an advocate and try and get to the bottom of what is going on. She has also promised an update of what is happening.

Comment

Looks like moving in the right direction. Have you spoken to the bank?

Comment

Originally posted by paulajayne View Post
              Looks like moving in the right direction. Have you spoken to the bank?
              Not yet as I haven’t got power of attourney so I could be any one .
              I now live in Norfolk and Halifax have closed a lot of branches so I would be unable to visit a physical building.
              Last edited by dogtired; 10th February 2021, 17:13:PM.

Comment

Write to your brother, get him to sign a letter of Authority that should allow you to speak with the bank. Alternatively, get the bank to send a new pin number to him.

Comment

Originally posted by seduraed View Post
                  Write to your brother, get him to sign a letter of Authority that should allow you to speak with the bank. Alternatively, get the bank to send a new pin number to him.
                  If the promised contact does not work, I will do that, thank you

Comment

Originally posted by dogtired View Post
                    Not yet as I haven’t got power of attourney so I could be any one .
                    I now live in Norfolk and Halifax have closed a lot of branches so I would be unable to visit a physical building.
                    I think you will find that most Halifax branches have closed the door temporarily because of the Virus, only contact is by telephone.

Comment

Originally posted by Archie.2 View Post

I think you will find that most Halifax branches have closed the door temporarily because of the Virus, only contact is by telephone.
                      They permanently closed most of the bigger ones ours was only an agency within an estate agents. No ideas where round here there is on. Don’t know if any are stil running and as I don’t know any account details I’m a bit stuck. He needs to appoint an advocate where he lives ,hoping for some answers tomorrow

Comment

Don't forget that Halifax are also "Bank of Scotland"

Comment

also p/o Lloyds Banking Group

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post
                            also p/o Lloyds Banking Group
                            I know, one ofbthe reasons we changed Banks that and them closing down the nearest physical Branch and TSB one wanting nothing to do with on going problems.
                            Back to my brother no contact from Social Worker looks like I will have to call them on Monday

Comment

Up date. Appointment did not take place as the Social Worker had had contact with Covid. However the Home Manager tells me they have had a payment, don't know how much.
                              Apparently my brother now has WiFi access so could has been able to do this by re registering with on line banking I simply do not know as he hasn't messaged me . The manager said not to worry and she would be back in touch.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X