• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Your Experience with the Financial Ombudsman Service

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Your Experience with the Financial Ombudsman Service

There are fundamentals here unknown to most & the statistics stem from this........................if an institution has a clause in a contract which is or has not been challenged in a high court...then from the FOS point its "fair game" because it is written & you the consumer signed it...........Rumpelstiltskin type regulation which only serves to bolster the the providers stance in their defence as supported by the FOS........

My point being the FOS should refuse to rule on contentious issues where interpretation & doubt over consumer rights could prevail over business interests &/or reputation.
    Last edited by Fred; 19th August 2014, 20:39:PM.

Comment

I have never had a positive experience with the FOS. In fact after being an LB member for a few years now, I would consider myself to be over qualified to work for the FOS!! One of the number of cases I took up with them was to do with my unregulated secured loan and after several months of worthless communications they eventually said they could not do anything for me because the loan was unregulated! Why did they not say that in the beginning so not to waste my time?

Comment

Thank you very much, Fred. It is a very good point, indeed.
        Rumpelstilstkin type regulation... Bravo!

Comment

Originally posted by Ruby View Post
          I have never had a positive experience with the FOS. In fact after being an LB member for a few years now, I would consider myself to be over qualified to work for the FOS!! One of the number of cases I took up with them was to do with my unregulated secured loan and after several months of worthless communications they eventually said they could not do anything for me because the loan was unregulated! Why did they not say that in the beginning so not to waste my time?
          They have a 100% record in favour of second charge providers on the extremely contentious issues of "fairness"..........................what do you think would happen of they refused to adjudicate with open honest grounds for doing so ?

Comment

Ruby, I am not at all surprised you are overqualified.
            Here, on LB we learn so much. Our approach is very thorough. We look at our different cases from every angle, we learn a lot of relevant materials, rules, regulations, existing old cases, trying to apply our knowledge and experience, when analysing them.
            I wish they did the same...

Comment

Originally posted by Victoria27 View Post
              Ruby, I am not at all surprised you are overqualified.
              Here, on LB we learn so much. Our approach is very thorough. We look at our different cases from every angle, we learn a lot of relevant materials, rules, regulations, existing old cases, trying to apply our knowledge and experience, when analysing them.
              I wish they did the same...
              I am sorry to post yet again but your comment drives me to state that the meetings between the regulators of old (OFT/FOS) which you would assume to be a collective on views & prevention of double standards perhaps ?...........................well no actually it only serves to back up the deals done (allegedly) & the details are yet to come out..........a can of worms it is aw:

Comment

I am interested, do we know first hand about some cases, when they, the FOS, found against insurers-underwriters?
                So far all I've known of, were past successes when we, ourselves, sent directly to the underwriters Di's letter, the dynamite.
                What I've heard about the FOS dealing with underwriters, that they usually cannot establish the link.

Comment

Theres a link here about Society of LLoyds

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque...laint?unfold=1

I can confirm that since 1 April 2004, we have received 3,480 PPI complaints against the Society of Lloyds. Since 1 April 2004, we have also resolved 2,338 PPI complaints against the Society of Lloyds.
                  Of the cases which were resolved, 877 were upheld (in favour of the consumer) and 1,461 were not upheld.

Comment

Thank you very much, Marshallka.
                    The figures are telling...

Comment

Lets face it, how many brain cells do we need to do a PPI claim on our own? Sites like these give you the tools/templates to reclaim these charges without the FOS. Its hardly a 'feather in FOS's cap' ! and the figures speak for themselves, the FOS can't even do something as basic as that to a great success.

Comment

I need help please -

I have received a decision from the Ombudsman from my complaint about barclays with the quote "You made it clear you wanted to take out the policy in your application" i rang them up this morning to as what proof they had, cause i have never received any proof from barclays even tho i asked many times!! they have sent me what they had from barclays which is a template! this isnt even from my application!! i do not remember this !!!

what do i do??

thank you

Comment

Originally posted by Carrera_Girl View Post
                          I need help please -

I have received a decision from the Ombudsman from my complaint about barclays with the quote "You made it clear you wanted to take out the policy in your application" i rang them up this morning to as what proof they had, cause i have never received any proof from barclays even tho i asked many times!! they have sent me what they had from barclays which is a template! this isnt even from my application!! i do not remember this !!!

what do i do??

thank you
                          Are we talking about PPI at all?(apologies if you already have a thread on the subject on the forum)
                          "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
                          (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

Yes its a ppi claim - online application in 2006 for a barclaycard - i have a copy of the sample but i dont know how to attach.

thank u

Comment

Originally posted by Carrera_Girl View Post
                              Yes its a ppi claim - online application in 2006 for a barclaycard - i have a copy of the sample but i dont know how to attach.

thank u
                              How did you argue your case?
                              "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
                              (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

this is the breakdown ...

i was wondering if u could help me with this - i have a claim outstanding with the ombudsman who are looking into my case. I applied for a barclaycard online in sept 06 it was a very simple application quick to fill out etc.
                                i was 24 at the time so i wasn't big on details i just wanted a card! i don't recall asking or approving insurance for the card i remember getting the card (i still have the envelope it came in!!) and i began spending! never missing a payment ... !
                                When all the hype began about the mis sell of PPI i checked my statements in more detail cause the only thing i was ever interested in was my payment due day and the amount, i saw it was 'Payment Protection' but it then changed to 'Optional payment' i then called barclays and had a chat with an adviser who told me to send a letter cause i stated "i dont recall asking or approving this insurance and i hadn't received any documentation to support what it was" - i sent a letter to barclays outlining this and was set what looked to be a very generic reply (this letter is now with ombudsman so i cant give exact wording) they turned the tables on me asking for evidence from myself showing i DID not apply!!!!
                                On investigating all of this myself it would seem i don't remember applying or approving the sale of PPI is because the online application had a pre-ticked box!!
                                I sent another letter back after the refusal asking for evidence i had agreed to the policy and stating that the pre ticked box is unfair cause there was no advice etc... i also asked for the policy to be stopped cause it was of no use to me! (i get sick pay)
                                i waited and waited and waited .. no reply! i called and asked what was going on and they stated in their eyes the matter was closed and they did not need to reply!! i am absolutely disgusted by barclays and their rudeness and lack of respect in this issue! (the policy is still running!!!!) i started up a claim with the ombudsman this has been ongoing since feb 14 - they sent me a email not long ago asking for more information
                                - what kind of employment i was in? i was in full time.
                                - How many hrs a week i worked? i have never worked less than 9-5, 5 days a week
                                - How long i was in the role ??
                                - Did i have sick pay?
                                - Did i have any pre-existing medical conditions? i did not.

I dont know what more i am supposed to say - my claim is based upon i was not advised and i didnt need it

I argued it on the basis i didnt need it! and wouldnt have taken it.

how is it fair for the ombudsman to take a sample as their word!!!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X