• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

PPI Claim for Barclays credit card.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PPI Claim for Barclays credit card.

Hi guys,

i was wondering if i could get your help - i have a claim outstanding with the ombudsman who are looking into my case. I applied for a barclaycard online in sept 06 it was a very simple application quick to fill out etc.
    i was 24 at the time so i wasn't big on details i just wanted a card! i don't recall asking or approving insurance for the card i remember getting the card (i still have the envelope it came in!!) and i began spending! never missing a payment ... !
    When all the hype began about the mis sell of PPI i checked my statements in more detail cause the only thing i was ever interested in was my payment due day and the amount, i saw it was 'Payment Protection' but it then changed to 'Optional payment' i then called barclays and had a chat with an adviser who told me to send a letter cause i stated "i dont recall asking or approving this insurance and i hadn't received any documentation to support what it was" - i sent a letter to barclays outlining this and was set what looked to be a very generic reply (this letter is now with ombudsman so i cant give exact wording) they turned the tables on me asking for evidence from myself showing i DID not apply!!!!
    On investigating all of this myself it would seem i don't remember applying or approving the sale of PPI is because the online application had a pre-ticked box!!
    I sent another letter back after the refusal asking for evidence i had agreed to the policy and stating that the pre ticked box is unfair cause there was no advice etc... i also asked for the policy to be stopped cause it was of no use to me! (i get sick pay)
    i waited and waited and waited .. no reply! i called and asked what was going on and they stated in their eyes the matter was closed and they did not need to reply!! i am absolutely disgusted by barclays and their rudeness and lack of respect in this issue! (the policy is still running!!!!) i started up a claim with the ombudsman this has been ongoing since feb 14 - they sent me a email not long ago asking for more information
    - what kind of employment i was in? i was in full time.
    - How many hrs a week i worked? i have never worked less than 9-5, 5 days a week
    - How long i was in the role ??
    - Did i have sick pay?
    - Did i have any pre-existing medical conditions? i did not.

I dont know what more i am supposed to say - my claim is based upon i was not advised and i didnt need it

I am not the best with words and stuck when it comes to guidance - i deserve to win this claim as my case is genuine and it was a policy that was useless to me - i never used it! because i hadn't received anything about the damn thing! but i feel they are taking advantage of the fact im not clued up with the facts cause i dont know where to find them!

I hope u guys can help me ...

thank you in advance x
    Last edited by Carrera_Girl; 10th August 2014, 15:23:PM. Reason: irrelevant info
    Tags: None

Re: PPI Claim for Barclays credit card.

Hello and welcome, Carrera.
    I am sorry for your experience.
    I am sure our wonderful experts will be along soon.

Meanwhile, I suggest to have a look at few threads here, which are specially dedicated to the problem of pre-ticked box with applications online.

Links about pre-ticked box:

http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...ard-Egg-Issues!!

http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...874#post423874

The outcome of those cases eventually was very encouraging.

You have good grounds for your case:
    You were not given enough information to enable you to make an informed decision (the way it looks to me, no information at all) and you did not need this insurance.

Of course, additionally, a pre-ticked box is a very serious argument in your favour.

It is helpful for your case if you can prove without a shadow of doubt that you would not have taken this PPI, should you been properly informed about it.
    The best, of course, would have been if you could prove that you were not able to make a successful claim, either due to your employment status or pre-existing medical conditions.
    I believe that is why the FOS ask you those questions.

If you cannot prove that insurance would not have covered you, then it is good to show that you clearly had other means to repay, other insurances or savings etc. and in no way needed this PPI.
    It is a common sense that we do not buy products we do not need unless we are led to believe we do need them or we are not aware that we bought them, like it seems to be in your case.
    It is not believable that anybody would knowingly buy unnecessary expensive financial product, which was not at all needed.

I did have ongoing case with the Ombudsman, however I went back to the business myself, composed a few letters (in spite of my not perfect English, my second language), emailed to the CEO, with the copy to my MP, and got everything resolved to my satisfaction (after 4 months and 3 rejections).
    It did help the FOS, at least to have one less case in their load.
    My difficult case was not with Barclays, but with Santander.
    I was fortunate and lucky with Barclays. They upheld my case without any trouble at all.

I do not know if it can be of any use for you to try to contact the CEO office of Barclays now, if the Ombudsman has already communicating with the bank about your case.

Still the arguments you mentioned, sound reasonable and hopefully it will be seen this way by the Ombudsman.

You can emphasise the fact of the pre-ticked box, (you might find the info on those threads helpful) and also the fact that, considering your personal situation, your sick pay etc. you absolutely did not need that policy.

Just in case, a bit of information, which you can find useful, is in those links about the FCA guidelines and the FOS regulations.

http://fshandbook.info/FS/html/FCA/DISP/App/3
    http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.u...omplaints.html

Good luck and we are here to help.

Best,

Victoria x

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X