• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

PPI Britannia/co op

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PPI Britannia/co op

Its a complicated one. We were sold MPPI on a mortgage. It was a tick box on the mortgage form, filled by the agent (not us) and we were told we had to have it. There was no explanation and we were given no further info. When I went back to get the details (a bit over a year ago) I was told that the policy was on my husband only. At the time he was employed by BP - with amazing benefits. He had been there 7 years (redundancy by contract was 1 and half months for each year worked...so full pay for 11 months) he also had similar for sickness. He was a commodity trader so also had bonuses (which I know are not guaranteed..but they were stated on the mortgage form) he also had at least £55k in BP share schemes (which were released in event of redundancy/sickness)
    we had no awareness of this policy at the time ...indeed we took extra life insurance (to cover the mortgage) with critical illness cover about a week later as we had no awareness of the policy in place. I was having IVF treatment (which I had been hospitalised with) at the time I was pregnant with first attempt (later lost through complications) Britannia ruled out the case as they said we had financial need and it was unadvised (we had about £130k pay off shares etc...mortgage was about £130k) and we were both working (I was a teacher) few debts (a bit on credit cards, and small car loan) The policy states that in order to claim against the policy in redundancy my husband would have needed to be in unemployment benefit (it was just preceeding Job seekers allowance) With such a large pay out I am not sure he would have been eligible for any benefit...but I cant find any details of what was in place at this time (aug 1996) The Ombudsman at present seems to be on the side of Britannia (now co op) as the box was ticked, and we have no way of proving not by us. Initially Britannia told us that we had completed a separate form (which they stated in writing they had a copy of) Which I asked them to send ...funilly enough they now don't have it !!! We were never sent any details and know we never completed a form for it, as when we eventually cottoned on to what it was to cancel it, we had to ask for details from them (which we requested 3 times before they sent it) They have now told the ombudsman that it was a joint policy (with myself who was pregnant at the time) so I have asked them to release the data they have on me which would indicate that a year down the line they have decided it is joint !...again nothing...lol
    My biggest argument (aside from me) is that for my partner he would have to have been in receipt of unemployment benefit...(I know with JSA he would have had the income based part) but this preceeds this (just) and I think it is means tested..but I can't find anything to show this...anyone help !
    Tags: None

Re: PPI Britannia/co op

Hi and welcome

Firstly, I note you said you requested for some of the information, if not done this way already, you could send a Subject Access Request (SAR) letter (that we can provide here for you) to send to the business data department, this way they must comply and send you all they hold on the account, or what they still hold, hopefully this dept will provide all the info you need.

Are you still paying the mortgage? If so then there should be no trouble in them sending you the agreement for the mortgage with ppi etc.

Although if this is still an open account, you could request for just a copy of the Agreement, for a £1 cheque or postal order and they have 12 days to comply.

They must act on the above under the Data Protection Act (DPA).

Also to clarify to send a SAR you enclose the one off payment of £10 cheque or postal order, where they have up to 40 calendar days to comply.

I find with the SAR request they do tend to comply, although they may still send you what you asked for, but at least with a SAR they must comply by that act as stated above.
    You will need to send it to their data dept address.

If you require this let me know and I shall post this for you.

I will send the one for joint if you wish, to save you and other half sending separate SAR's :tinysmile_twink_t2:

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X