• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Ppi insurance claim

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ppi insurance claim

Hiya all I was wondering if anyone on this forum could help me. I'm sadly someone who signed up for a secured mortgage with First Plus some 6-7 years ago and was sold a PPI as part of the mortgage. After 3 months of signing up my husband was diagnosed with a medical condition and we decided to claim against that PPI. The PPI I have just learnt was only for a period of 5 years and it has now expired and I'm now drowning in medical bills. I raised this up with the FSA stating that I was not aware that the policy was only for a period of 5 years and how could First Plus have told me two weeks before the policy expiry date that I had to make other arrangements to ensure I had appropriate medical cover. There is no where on the policy that it states the cover was only available for 5 years and I was obviously shocked to hear this. I recently received a letter from the FSA stating they had rejected my claim because I didn't raise an issue about the five year policy in my telephone recordings with First Plus? I can't even remember what I did yesterday let alone 5 years ago how can they state that? Besides the PPI itself doesn't mention anywhere in the policy that it is for a period of 5 years? Please can someone help me or advise me what I should do?
    Tags: None

Re: Ppi insurance claim

Hi
    I'm afraid that (in general) PPI policies do in fact only cover 5 years

Can you post up the policy (main page will do)

Then we need to explore further whether we can go down the mis-selling route (I'll pm di30 too) again

What was the FSA involvement---mis-selling or rejection of your claim?

Comment

I'm here lol, cheers Turbo x

Comment

Originally posted by mrbean13 View Post
        Hiya all I was wondering if anyone on this forum could help me. I'm sadly someone who signed up for a secured mortgage with First Plus some 6-7 years ago and was sold a PPI as part of the mortgage. After 3 months of signing up my husband was diagnosed with a medical condition and we decided to claim against that PPI. The PPI I have just learnt was only for a period of 5 years and it has now expired and I'm now drowning in medical bills. I raised this up with the FSA stating that I was not aware that the policy was only for a period of 5 years and how could First Plus have told me two weeks before the policy expiry date that I had to make other arrangements to ensure I had appropriate medical cover. There is no where on the policy that it states the cover was only available for 5 years and I was obviously shocked to hear this. I recently received a letter from the FSA stating they had rejected my claim because I didn't raise an issue about the five year policy in my telephone recordings with First Plus? I can't even remember what I did yesterday let alone 5 years ago how can they state that? Besides the PPI itself doesn't mention anywhere in the policy that it is for a period of 5 years? Please can someone help me or advise me what I should do?
        Hi there

Right this has been the issue for many in regards of the 5 years, which is why they have now stopped selling these type of policies and others alike, so for this matter you have an automatic right and reason to make the reclaim on all the PPI and interest.

How far have you gone with this complaint? Have you made a start on complaining to the broker/business who set up and sold you the loan with the ppi?

Was it actually First Plus that set up your loan, or are they the lender or both?

Comment

Originally posted by di30 View Post
          Hi there

Right this has been the issue for many in regards of the 5 years, which is why they have now stopped selling these type of policies and others alike, so for this matter you have an automatic right and reason to make the reclaim on all the PPI and interest.

How far have you gone with this complaint? Have you made a start on complaining to the broker/business who set up and sold you the loan with the ppi?

Was it actually First Plus that set up your loan, or are they the lender or both?
          Hi there. First Plus is willing to compensate for the misselling plus interest but this is not what is required. My husband genuinely has a health condition and now I have no ppi at hand because the policy has expired? The FSA claims they have obtained the relevant recordings of me not making any issues with regards to the policy itself but what about the policy itself. I don't believe the policy said anything about 5 years. I have now misplaced the whole policy can I ask Barclays to provide me with my signed copy? Is this the right way to go about it?

Comment

Hi Mrbean13, You can send a request for a signed copy and all the details they hold for you. Was it not First Direct who sold you the mortgage and policy? It's called a SAR there is a template on this site I will have a look for the link. You need to enclose a £10 cheque or postal order to pay the fee and make it clear what it is for. I would also make it clear that you require a copy of the PPI policy. They can take 40days to get the information to you. Maybe Di30 or Turbo has another way to get the policy easier.

Another thing as it to do with your husband's health it might be worth looking into sickness benefits and see if you are entitled to help. There is a website call turn2us that do a free benefit check.

Comment

Here are 2 thread links the first is a SAR request and gives you information about it and the second is the Turn2us benefits checker.

http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...ur-information

http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...ulator-Turn2us

Comment

Hi there everyone who participated in responding to this thread. As mentioned in my first thread of messages First Plus is willing to compensate me for the misselling of the PPI but this is not the issue, the issue is that I didn't know the policy was only valid for a period of 5 years. As mentioned in my earlier thread of messages, my husband suffers from a medical condition and yes I know that the Government can provide some help with regards to this (this is a separate issue) but I need First Plus to continue with the PPI policy. Is this possible and if not why not? As far as I am aware the actual PPI Policy doesn't mention anything about the expiry date of 5 years? Would anyone have a PPI policy dated back to the year 2005 they can share? I just want to know a couple of things before I proceed to respond to the FSA as follows:
                1. Is First Plus confirmed as being the secured lending division of Barclays? The FSA has apparently denied this?
                2. First Plus sold me the policy back in the year 2005 and according to the FSA they have recordings of my conversation claiming that I knew it was only for a period of 5 years and I didn't question First Plus on this. Can these recordings be held in the court of law? I didn't expect my husband to start suffering from a medical condition so the PPI was useful as it helped us pay off the First Plus loan
                3. Barclays delayed paying me my insurance claim for over a year because they were negligent i.e they claimed my husband's condition was a pre - existing condition and then subsequently found out it wasn't. Such stupidity... and the FSA claims there didn't see anything wrong with the delay and claims yes they eventually paid it even after one year?
                4. The FSA has very convieniently decided not to respond to the fact that First Plus took my daughter to court as a result of the delay in payment by Barclays whilst my husband had gone to see another doctor outside the country to get a second opinion and I had gone with him.
                5. The FSA has also very convieniently decided not to respond to the flawed clause in interest rates of First Plus where it has allowed them to hike the interest rates?
                6. The FSA has also very convieniently decided not to respond to the mental harrassment me and my family faced due to the delay in payments from Barclays?

Is this case even worth asking the FSA to adjudicate? Or should I just take it to the courts? I really think the FSA adjudicators don't seem to see the bigger picture when it comes to analysing the details?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X