• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Offer of redress help please!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Offer of redress help please!

We have had a successful complaint upheld by the FOS on a loan with Ocean Finance.

The PPI was front ended and is live with the loan.

A offer of redress was received yesterday and it seems 4.5k of the redress is needed to restructure the loan. With £5600 being paid back to us.

Ocean assured me that this is good practice in line with FOS guildlines.

I called the FOS yesterday and they said that only applies if we were in arrears with the loan which we are not.

Does seem correct
    Tags: None

Re: Offer of redress help please!

How much was the original loan for and how much was the PPI?

The repayment should put you back to the original position you would have been in had you not taken out PPI on the loan.

Have you informed the FOS that this is what Ocean Finance are proposing and explained that no arrears were in place.
    Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

Hi

Yes I have called the FOS yesterday and I have since emailed the letter for them to comment.

We were told the PPI was front ended with interest 12.5 k but it only covered us for 5 years of the 15 year policy and we are still paying it over the term.

The loan was for £32000

Comment

As there are no arrears outstanding the choice of using part of your redress to repay some of the loan is entirely your choice, had there been arrears they would have been entitled to use part of the redress to clear any outstanding arrears.

Look at their proposal carefully and see if by using the 4.5k you would be in a better position over the term of the loan (i.e paid off sooner and less overall interest). Unless of course you need the full amount to pay off other outstanding credit. If you are able to just treat the redress as a windfall and could live without the 4.5k, it may be more beneficial to you to use it against the loan.
        Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

Comment

Hi I had a look at the FOS website Here's what I can find on how Redress is paid based on a live loan with no arrears. Just take out the FOS figures. I have also uploaded a spreadsheet that will calculate the redress for a single premium policy based on what PPI you paid per month hopefully this will help

"where the loan and policy are still in placewhat we know

• you took out a loan for £10,000 over 15 years;
          • we added the cost of your PPI premium to your loan. That was £2,500, so your total loan was for £12,500; and
          • you are 3½ years into your loan.

what we have calculated

• if you wanted to repay your loan today, you would need to pay £10,700 (after deducting the rebate for cancelling your PPI policy early);
          • if you had instead taken out your loan without the PPI policy, the outstanding balance today would be £8,700; and
          • your loan payments have been £125 per month – without the PPI policy they would have been £100 per month (a difference of £25 per month).

what we will do

• We will cancel the policy for you and will restructure your loan so that only £8,700 is outstanding – to put you in the position you would have been in had you never had the PPI policy.
          • In addition to reducing the balance of your loan, we will refund you the extra monthly costs you paid as a result of having PPI added to your loan, which is £25 per month. We will also add interest at 8% per year simple on each overpayment from the date it was paid until today. In total, that means we will pay you £1,050, plus interest of £120.
          Attached Files

Comment

The letter states its to restructure the loan with Ocean (Broker) saying they will send a cheque to Paragon (Lender).

I agree it may be best to let it ride but it seems odd. It seems like we are being forced to

Comment

Wait to see what the FOS come back with and any further comments from members here who may be able to advise you better than myself.

Comment

Thanks for your advice

I will post the FOS outcome

Comment

I would speak to the FOS. I didn't realise that it was 2 separate broker/Lender companies sorry. I would definitely ask the FOS because from what I understand if a third party is involved it changes things but I only know what the guildlines are if the debt has been sold to a debt. In your situation it wouldn't hurt to ask the FOS to see if they can help you. But the spreadsheet attached will help you calculate they payments already made.

Comment

There's no debt involved Ocean are the Broker and Paragon are the company with have the loan with

Comment

Just an update.
                      The early indications from the FOS is what Ocean Finance did was incorrect.

FOS rang me on Friday saying I should a letter from them this week with their comments on the offer.
                      I will update as soon as I know more

Comment

Just an update.

FOS rang me on Friday saying I should a letter from them this week with their comments on the offer.

Comment

Originally posted by pepper1986 View Post
                          Just an update.

Glad this was noticed and will be corrected. I can remember my very first big reclaim (Nemo finance) it ended up with the FOS, it was upheld by the FOS and although a nice lump refund, the fos noticed it was about £2Kgrand down, so that was put right!

Well done on your success!

Comment

Update

FOS adjudicator has ruled in my favour but Ocean have asked for it to go to the ombudsman for final decision.

Comment

Hi

Going by checking on the FOS website, when they post up decisions made by the Ombudsman, 99% of them going to the Ombudsman stick to the same decision as the Adjudicator, check this out here........

http://www.ombudsman-decisions.org.uk/Default.aspx

Are you under the criteria to request for fast track? (meanings getting it to the Ombudsman a little quicker), for example, a health matter, or serious financial hardship under respossession etc?

I'm sure all will be fine, and from what I am aware of, further redress maybe compensated to you, for basically having your case upheld by the Adjudicator if the same decision made by the Ombudsman to uphold, where it could have avoided going all the way to the ombudsman if the bank agreed at first instance with the adjudicators decision.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X