• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Please post your own experience of reclaiming PPI from Santander

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Please post your own experience of reclaiming PPI from Santander

Dear TJ, yes, our fabulous Di is right.
    if you can post your rejection letters, it might be helpful, as I guess from the previous experience, those letters are most likely just generic nonsense, a template, not based on any real investigation of your personal circumstances, a reply, but not an answer, written, for sure, totally ignoring the FCA guidelines. That could be the way to challenge it.
    thank you.
    Vxx

Comment

Hi guys,

first of all, Loulou, so sorry to hear about your Dad. Glad he is on the right road.

Tjperfick, you have definitely come to the right place! Di has the experience, Victoria knows the rules backwards, Loulou has the perseverance!

i am in the same position as you........except I've probably had more rejections! Your next step is to go to the CEO, Ana Botin, once Victoria & Di have had a look at the letter.

Last night I had decided to call it quits with Santander: having slept on it, I have now decided to go to the small claims court. Don't have a clue how to go about it......but there is plenty of help available on the net. I have not heard of anyone taking Santander to court, other companies yes. I believe it doesn't cost too much and, I'm fed up with their messing. They have no respect for their customers.

very best wishes, I also will support you if I can add value.

:beagle:Xxx

Comment

My darling L'pool.
        i am glad you are not giving up on them.
        i am not an expert about small claims court.
        what I do know that, it should not cost you. You will not be able to take it to the Ombudsman after that. But, I can see, it does not matter to you. It is more of a matter of principle for you.
        the companies usually do not like courts. It may open the door and set a precedent.
        it attracts publicity.
        i believe, you can ask for "exemplary charges" as a penalty to set a precedent.
        prior to taking it to court, you can write to the CEO office one more letter, subject has to be: "Letter before Action".
        i was told that usually after such a letter your case goes to completely different department, to their solicitors. Usually solicitors do not like to take a risk and in your case the amount they owe to you is not worth for them to take a chance. If you win they will have to pay much more.
        Of course, the best to ask more experienced people about it.
        however the way I see it, for you it is more important the justice and raising a public awareness than money.
        so it may be a good way forward.
        Best of luck!
        Vxx
        Last edited by Victoria27; 2nd April 2014, 17:25:PM.

Comment

Originally posted by loulouxx View Post
          Hi Everyone! Sorry for not being around lately my dad had a bleed in the brain from a stroke. he's 80% back to normal so proud of him. Will have a good look through the posts and come back xxx
          OMG Lou, am so sorry to hear this news, I do hope he is recovering from this now, thinking of you and sending love and healing thoughts XxX

Comment

The best of luck on the small claims L'pool, it will give them something to think about :tinysmile_twink_t2: x

Comment

Hi all,
              I was pointed towards this thread by the lovely Di to share my experience so far -

I was mis sold PPI on a Dorothy Perkins card in 2002 which I closed in 2013. A few months ago I contacted Santander with my complaint as I was told at the point of sale that the PPI not optional (it was a very hard sell! not pleasant!) and I was also a student at the time but they rejected my claim with the standard fob off letter so I contacted Genworth but received exactly the same response rather too quickly for my liking! I don't think they looked into it at all!

I then contacted the FOS but they said they couldn't do anything as it was pre 2005. I also contacted the FLA but they said they couldn't help.

Feeling a little lost and fed up Di very kindly sent me a draft of her letter to work with. I re worked it a little to suit my situation and emailed it to the company secretary at Genworth and Genworth's CEO and just received an email back today to say they apologise and are re opening my complaint, not sure if it will just lead to another fob off but fingers crossed!
              x:tinysmile_grin_t:

Comment

Hello, Bellycakes and welcome.
                yes, our lovely Di wrote a fantastic letter. It is a real masterpiece.
                it is a good sign they reopened your case. Of, course, they might still write another fob off, but the fact they agreed to look at it again is encouraging.
                if they reject again, you can take it to the FOS as Genworth was regulated and therefore under their jurisdiction.
                did you try to email to the Santander's CEO?
                Of course we all know how it was mis-sold to us. We never been told that it was optional, but led to believe it was compulsory.
                The best way to challenge their decision would be if there was any benefit of the policy you were not eligible for due to your status.
                it always works eventually in your favour. There is no way out for them if you can prove that you are not eligible or even partly not eligible.
                I understand you did not work at the time, being a full time student, is that right?
                it seems, when you are not eligible, it is just a matter of time and your persistence to get it resolved and upheld.
                If due to your status you could not be covered, then it won't be that difficult to challenge their decision.
                while you are waiting for Genworth final decision after they reopened your case, you might consider emailing to the Santander's CEO and get their office to look at it again as well.
                what does the policy say about students?
                if it is stated in the policy that you are not covered, then I am sure, your email to the CEO might bring a good result.
                i know about some exclusions related to employment, but I am not sure what exactly does it say about students.
                Once we know, we'll take it from there.
                meanwhile, fingers crossed with Genworth
                best of luck.
                Vxx

Comment

Morning all, I have attached the rejection letters from Genworth and also from santander for you to have a browse at. Any advice would be very welcome as I seem to have hit a brick wall with this one. I have already emailed the CEO and the rejection attached is from a result of that one. thanks all. xx
                  Attached Files

Comment

Thank you very much, TJ.
                    yes, this is their generic letter. We all got it.
                    what did you give as your reason for complaint?
                    i imagine, you were not told it was optional, none of us were told that.
                    were you eligible for all the benefits, were there any exclusions, at least one, which clearly made this PPI not suitable for you, was there any information about this PPI, which, if disclosed to you, would have influenced your decision not to take it?
                    in short, was there anything at all, which clearly indicates this policy was not suitable for you, that you could not have made a successful claim?
                    if so, then it makes it easier to prove your case.
                    if the PPI could work for you, but you did not want it, were not made aware of it etc. it is more difficult to prove straight away, but still it is worth to challenge their decision, referring to the breach of the FCA guidelines.
                    was the form filled in by you or by the shop assistant?
                    was there a "x" indicating where to sign?
                    when you have a chance to write little bit about your circumstances, I'll try to find some points to challenge their decision.
                    ideally we need to come to conclusion, something like:
                    should I known that.....it makes it impossible to suggest that I would have agreed to take this PPI."
                    Their template rejection letter is very week and easy to challenge as they used the reasons for rejection which are not sufficient, according to the FCA guidelines. However, it would be better, if possible, to prove that not only they are wrong, giving not sufficient reasons for rejection, but also that you are right, by presenting something which can prove that this insurance was not right for you.
                    i am sure our geniuses, Di, Dogtired, Loulou, L'pool and many others will have great ideas.
                    We are here for you
                    thank you.
                    Vxx

Comment

Thanks for your time in replying to me!
                      The form was filled in by myself, but the tick boxes (staus, employment status, current card held etc.)- they have sent me a copy of the original application form and there is a cross in the box for ppi which I am sure I didn't tick any of tjhe boxes. When I ttok the card out I was on maternity leave, daughter born just 6 weeks later, and was unsure if I was even going back to work. Already had separate life cover and worked for my parents so even if going back to work, job was pretty safe.

Comment

Thank you, TJ. You are very welcome.
                        Is it obvious that the box was ticked by another person, another pen, for instance? Sometime it can work in your favour.
                        i'll try to concentrate on the sale and what happened in the store.
                        In that respect
                        1) were you aware that they added an additional product?
                        2) did they say it was compulsory in order for the application to be accepted?
                        3) Or, did they say nothing about it at all and you were not even aware that you took it?
                        4) when and how you found out?
                        I am just trying to find out in what way we can show that the sale was flawed.
                        is it possible to make it very clear that in no way you needed that policy, considering your circumstances?
                        thank you.
                        Vxx

Comment

Heres where I sound really stupid (!), but I didn't even realise I had it, what it was or what it covered etc. I paid off and closed the account a few years ago and it is only with the ppi mis selling scandal that I have looked into all my credit agreements and have claimed that I was ms-sold. TBH, this is the only way that I have had rejected, I have been successful with 2 cc's , 1 storecard and 2 catalogues. These were all straight forward to do.
                          I know that they say tht it was on every statement, but to I suppose because it was just there I accepted it. At the time thought nothing of it and thought it was something that appeared on everyone's statement. thanks
                          xx

Comment

Thank you very much, TJ. There is nothing stupid about trusting any business. I was in the same situation as millions of others.
                            so, you had successful claims with other companies. This is telling
                            I'll try to put a few points for you and if you think it makes sense, you may say it in your own words. Please be aware that my English, being my second language, needs to be corrected sometime
                            as long as you understand what I mean.
                            I'll be busy till the evening and then, much later, I'll try to post something for you.
                            Thank you.
                            Vxx

Comment

thanks again for your kind words. Di has been amazing with all my queries on other forums and she directed me over here - thanks di!!
                              I was about ready to give up , but coming on here and putting it sown in words has fired me up again!!

Comment

That's the spirit, dear TJ.
                                that is normal to feel like you describe. We've been there. That is why it is so great to be here to get and give all the support to each other.
                                believe me, I felt a few times, like I was completely warn out. Our lovely amazing Di knows about my moments of weakness we told each other to stay strong. It helps
                                you see, that is their intention, their tactic to wear us out. This is how they manage to hold on to the funds they owe to us.
                                that is why it is very important not to let them
                                once I have a chance, in the evening, I'll try to put something together for you.
                                remember, you are not alone, we are here for you.
                                Vxx

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X