• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

MBNA PPI

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MBNA PPI

I recently received two letters from MBNA regarding two credit cards that I had taken out with Virgin Money. They said that they had been checking their records and found that I might be entitled to a refund. They enclosed forms which they said I should send back to them if I felt I may have been mis-sold PPI. I decided to return the forms and completed and returned them. I received a telephone call from MBNA asking about information on one of the forms. I couldn't remember exactly what I had put on the form but answered their questions as honestly as I could. I then received a letter saying that my complaint on the other card had been upheld and I have since received a cheque in settlement. Today I received a letter saying that they could not uphold the complaint on the second card. My query is: How come I can receive a refund on one card and not on the other when my circumstances have not changed since I took out the first credit card. The resons they gave for not upholding my complaint are as follows:

You took out the credit card on 30 August 2005
    You purchased PPI on 30 August 2005
    At the time of the sale you stated that you were eligible for the policy
    In reaching our decision, we have considered the information you provided as being relevant at the PPI sale date as above.

After considering all of the information I have about your complaint, I note that you would still have received significant benefit from this policy in the event of disibility or unemployment as the benefit more than covered your minimum payments each month. Furthermore, your sick pay and other benefits would not have prevented you from making a claim under the policy and there were no other terms, limitations or exclusions which were likely to have prevented you from making a claim.

In addition:

In the documentation that you were sent, you were informed that you could cancel the policy within 30 days and
    given the nature of a monthly premium policy you were able to cancel it at any time without suffering any financial detriment.

If the above is the case why did this not also apply to the other credit card.

Sorry that this so long but I am puzzled.

Would it be worth a complaint to the ombudsman?
    Tags: None

Re: MBNA PPI

Hi and welcome

Unfortunately this happens even if you've had a few accounts with them, where they uphold on one but not the other, but what I would do in your case is write back and tell them you disagree with the decision they made to reject complaint ref number XXXXXXX, this is because the reasons you given them applied to both accounts where the other was upheld.
    I would say "I believe you may have mis-understood my complaint on where you rejected and wish to give them the opportunity to review the matter". Also confirm that if you hear nothing by 14 days, you will consider taking the matter further, but want to at this time give them the opportunity to put this right to avoid further action.

If it was the final decision, you could email/write to the Chief executive officer (CEO) or The Manager of the business and raise this issue with them.

The only thing that does come to mind really, is that depending on the year the other was sold, maybe one was Advised and the other Non-Advised, as this can also come into affect when making a complaint.

When did you take out the other finance that they upheld?

Comment

Hi Di,

The other credit card was taken out on 29/01/2009.

Comment

Hi there
        thank you for that.

Yes definately write or email back, give them the opportunity to check this over and ask for an explanation on why they rejected one and agreed on the other, despite the fact you have genuine reasons to make a rightful complaint with them.

Let us know how you get on, good luck.

Comment

Hi Di

Thanks for that. Will write to them and let you know what they say.

Comment

Hi Di,

I sent a SAR to MBNA requesting information the the two accounts.

I received their reply today and would be interested to know your thoughts on the contents.

The information re the account on which ppi was refunded contains an agreement with the ppi box ticked.

The information re the other account contains an agreement with no tick in the ppi box but my signature stating that 'I understand that I am purchasing the product ticked aboveon credit provided by you'

I would be interested to know what you think.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X