• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Nationwide/Sun Alliance PPI Query

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nationwide/Sun Alliance PPI Query

Hi Everyone - I am a newcomer to the forum and I was hoping someone could help with my query.

My Parents were sold a Sun Alliance 'Mortgage Protection Assurance (Join Life, Without Profits)' Policy with their Nationwide Mortgage in 1989.

They were told by the Nationwide rep that the only way their Mortgage would be approved was if they took out this policy too. They have a year to run on their mortgage and are still paying a monthly premium for this Sun Alliance policy.

They filed a PPI reclaim to Nationwide who have come back saying "We can find no evidence of you holding a policy with the society relating to the account number quoted."

In addition, they have provided a 'print screen' of their PC which simply shows a few basic details about the Mortgage policy and nothing about the Sun Alliance Policy Number we gave them.

My Parents also have their original Sun Alliance policy documentation, which doesn't really mention what the policy covers and what they're actually paying for.

I have the following questions:

- What exactly is 'Mortgage Protection Assurance?'
    - Can this be re-claimed under the PPI Guidelines, especially since my parents were told their mortgage approval depended on it?
    - If yes, who do we turn to next after Nationwide say they know nothing about it?

Thanks in advance!
    Tags: None

Re: Nationwide/Sun Alliance PPI Query

Hi and welcome

From what I am aware of Mortgage Protection Assurance is that like PPI of payment protection insurance, unless someone can clarify on this one.
    If this is the case, then yes you can reclaim if you believe it to be mis sold.

You keep complaining until you receive a final decision, the final decision letter needs to state if your able to complain to the Financial ombudsman service (FOS), have they received this, if so they should have received a leaflet within the final letter to explain on how to complain to the FOS.

Otherwise I would write again with any further information you may have.

Is this still being paid every month?

Comment

Thanks for getting back to me! Yes it's still being paid every month. Nothing has ever been claimed on it and it was only taken out because the advisor had told my Parents they would be refused the Mortgage without it.

Should we write to Nationwide again (the original mortgage provider) or approach Sun Alliance instead?

As you can see from above, Nationwide say they have no information on this policy being sold. I'm assuming it might because they've got rid of records dating back to 1989...(or hoping we just go away!)

Comment

Hiya

Is the mortgage still ongoing?
        If so they should I understand still hold all the information.

If Nationwide were the bank who set up the mortgage with the PPI, it is down to them, you can of course try again and if that fails, it ma be a good idea to pursue Sun alliance, as this would be the avenue the FOS will suggest with the insurer/underwriter if all fails with the broker for some reason.

Yes it's possible they were hoping you would go away, keep at them is best.

If Nationwide no longer hold the information, Sun Alliance may still hold details as Nationwide would have forwarded details on to them as well.
        Have you tried requesting for the paperwork by sending a Subject Access Request (SAR) to both of the above?

If not and you require the template letter (SAR) let us know and one of us will be happy to post this up for you.

So write back to Nationwide and tell them you want your complaint reviewed, because of the reasons applied, and anything further you can add, tell them you do not agree with the decision they made because you have genuine grounds to complain and make a reclaim on a policy that was pressured on you (parents) at the time of the sale.

Good luck.

Comment

From the description "'Mortgage Protection Assurance (Join Life, Without Profits)'" this sounds as though it is a life insurance policy and not a payment protection policy. The purpose would be to pay off the mortgage on the death of either of the parents. Would have been cheaper than normal life insurance as the pay out would be decreasing over the life of the mortgage. This sort of insurance was fairly common and was a condition of the mortgage offer.

It was one of those types of policy that paid off the mortgage when my wife died.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X