• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Halifax PPi claim rejected! Anyone help please

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Halifax PPi claim rejected! Anyone help please

Hi my name is Ian, I have just found your website and hope very much that somone can help me with my PPI claim.

After making a successful ppi claim in Jan 2012 on one of my Halifax credit cards, I have made a second ppi claim on my other Halifax credit card but this claim has been rejected. With the claim last year all I had to do was make one call and that was it but this time after I made a call to the Halifax I also had to fill in a questionnaire and I was also called back by the Halifax.

I have been self employed since 1991 as a taxi driver and my claim relates back to March 1996.

I have seen that a lot of PPI claims recntly have bee rejected in the first instance. Do you think the letter i have recived is a standerd reply of rejection.
    I wonder if they is anything you could pick up on in the letter of reply from the halifax to my complaint and if they is anything i could add to my reply to strengten my case?

Below is a copy of the findings from the Halifax.

Thank you, Ian.

Dear Mr xxxxx
    Credit card number xxxxx

After considering the evidence and any documentation or information or information available to me, I have not found sufficient evidence to agree with your allegations that your PPI policy was mis-sold, As such I am unable uphold your complaint.
    As part of my review, I have considered whether you were eligible for the policy and whether the policy was suitable for you. I have also taken into account each of the concerns you raised with us in your complaint and I can confirm that I did not identify any other issues when reviewing your file.
    Having completed all of these steps,I went on to look at your complaint as a whole to ensure that we acted fairly towards you in relation to the sale of your PPI policy, giving appropriate weight and balanced consideration to all available evidence, including any further information supplied by you.
    I am sorry that you felt the need to complain about your PPI policy and appreciate that my decision may be of disappointment to you. However I can assure you that I have fully investigated your complaint and all the surrounding circumstances.
    Your complaint
    You contacted us on 1 march 2013 expressing dissatisfaction about your PPI policy. we duly wrote to you to acknowledging your complaint and our understanding of it.
    During your telephone call on 1 March 2013, you were dissatisfied that:
    1) Before you purchased the policy , you were not advised that you were not eligible for parts of it.
    2) You were not advised of the main features, exclusions or limitations or the PPI policy
    3) Before you purchased the PPI policy, you were not advised about any exclusions or limitations that were specifically relevant to your situation
    4) You were not asked if the PPI policy was suitable for you

Findings

In order to address the concerns you have raised, I have reviewed all the available sale related evidence. I have established that you applied for your credit card PPi policy on the 8 March 1996.
    To further assist my investigation I have also taken the following into consideration
    * Your consumer credit card agreement (CCA)
    * Telephone call call made to you on 22 March 2013
    It should be noted that prior to 2005 the sale of PPI was not regulated by the financial services authority (FSA), However, \we were members of the association of British insurers (ABI), which expected its members to conduct business with upmost good and faith and integrity.
    In addition,the sale was made on a non-contract basis and as such, we were only required to provide you with information designed to ensure that you could then make an informed decision as to whether the policy met your personal requirements. it was ultimately your decision to purchase the policy.
    That said I have still conducted a full investigation into the sale of your PPI so as to ensure we met our obligations to present the information in a fair way.
    All your complaint points have been fully considered. For clarity, I have addressed your allegations under the following headings.
    *Eligibility-Were you eligible for your PPI policy?
    *Policy features and limitations- Were the policy benefits and exclusions explained to you to clearly?
    *Information and disclosure- Did we give you enough information and help so you could make an informed decision? Were our services and status explained correctly?

Eligibility

The evidence detailing your status at the time of sale, confirms that at the time of sale, you were eligible for the PPI policy you bought.
    Policy features & limitations- Relating to complaint point - 1,2
    The documentation that you were provided with both at the point of sale and after purchasing your PPI policy, such as a summary of the policy and policy booklet, fully explained the benefits and limitations of the policy.
    In particular, I have reviewed the information that we give you about the exclusions and limitations of the policy and I have concluded that these were explained to you sufficiently clearly and you were not significantly affected by them.
    Having considered all the available evidence,I have come to the conclusion that the features of the policy were adequately presented to you so that you cold make an informed choice as to whether or not you wished to purchase the PPI policy.
    Information and disclosure- Relating to complaint point- 3,4
    I can verify that there was no alternative policies available at the time of sale.
    When considering the information available I can conclude that the documentation was provided to customers at the time contained sufficient information to ensure you could make an informed decision as to whether the policy met your personal requirements
    It cannot therefore be concluded that the information and disclosure given was inappropriate in the circumstances.

Conclusion.

In light of my findings I am unable to agree that your complaint should be upheld.
    I believe that the information provided at the time of the sale was a fair presentation of the features of the policy and explained the exclusions and the total cost of the insurance. I am also of the opinion that it was clear, fair and not misleading therefore allowing you to make a fully informed choice.
    My review has not highlighted any failings with the sale that would lead me to believe your decision to purchase the PPI policy would have changed.
    I trust that I have clearly explained the reasons for my decision.However, if you not agree with with my decision please contact us on 08456014034 or write in providing further supporting evidence to support your claim. I will consider any additional information and advise you whether I change my decision. If I do not here from you within twenty eight days of the date of this letter, I will close your complaint and consider it resolved.
    In the event that you remain unhappy with my decision , you have the right to refer your complaint to the financial ombudsman service (FOS), Any referral to FOS must be made within six month of the date on this letter. I enclose a copy of the FOS's leaflet about its service
    Your sincerely
    xxxx xxxxxx

Customer services
    Tags: None

Re: Halifax PPi claim rejected! Anyone help please

Hi and welcome

Give me a few mins, having a read and will come back to you ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by 2-cats View Post
      Hi my name is Ian, I have just found your website and hope very much that somone can help me with my PPI claim.

After making a successful ppi claim in Jan 2012 on one of my Halifax credit cards, I have made a second ppi claim on my other Halifax credit card but this claim has been rejected. With the claim last year all I had to do was make one call and that was it but this time after I made a call to the Halifax I also had to fill in a questionnaire and I was also called back by the Halifax.

I have been self employed since 1991 as a taxi driver and my claim relates back to March 1996.

I have seen that a lot of PPI claims recntly have bee rejected in the first instance. Do you think the letter i have recived is a standerd reply of rejection.
      I wonder if they is anything you could pick up on in the letter of reply from the halifax to my complaint and if they is anything i could add to my reply to strengten my case?

Below is a copy of the findings from the Halifax.

Thank you, Ian.

Dear Mr xxxxx
      Credit card number xxxxx

After considering the evidence and any documentation or information or information available to me, I have not found sufficient evidence to agree with your allegations that your PPI policy was mis-sold, As such I am unable uphold your complaint.
      As part of my review, I have considered whether you were eligible for the policy and whether the policy was suitable for you. I have also taken into account each of the concerns you raised with us in your complaint and I can confirm that I did not identify any other issues when reviewing your file.
      Having completed all of these steps,I went on to look at your complaint as a whole to ensure that we acted fairly towards you in relation to the sale of your PPI policy, giving appropriate weight and balanced consideration to all available evidence, including any further information supplied by you.
      I am sorry that you felt the need to complain about your PPI policy and appreciate that my decision may be of disappointment to you. However I can assure you that I have fully investigated your complaint and all the surrounding circumstances.
      Your complaint
      You contacted us on 1 march 2013 expressing dissatisfaction about your PPI policy. we duly wrote to you to acknowledging your complaint and our understanding of it.
      During your telephone call on 1 March 2013, you were dissatisfied that:
      1) Before you purchased the policy , you were not advised that you were not eligible for parts of it.
      2) You were not advised of the main features, exclusions or limitations or the PPI policy
      3) Before you purchased the PPI policy, you were not advised about any exclusions or limitations that were specifically relevant to your situation
      4) You were not asked if the PPI policy was suitable for you

Findings

In order to address the concerns you have raised, I have reviewed all the available sale related evidence. I have established that you applied for your credit card PPi policy on the 8 March 1996.
      To further assist my investigation I have also taken the following into consideration
      * Your consumer credit card agreement (CCA)
      * Telephone call call made to you on 22 March 2013
      It should be noted that prior to 2005 the sale of PPI was not regulated by the financial services authority (FSA), However, \we were members of the association of British insurers (ABI), which expected its members to conduct business with upmost good and faith and integrity.
      In addition,the sale was made on a non-contract basis and as such, we were only required to provide you with information designed to ensure that you could then make an informed decision as to whether the policy met your personal requirements. it was ultimately your decision to purchase the policy.
      That said I have still conducted a full investigation into the sale of your PPI so as to ensure we met our obligations to present the information in a fair way.
      All your complaint points have been fully considered. For clarity, I have addressed your allegations under the following headings.
      *Eligibility-Were you eligible for your PPI policy?
      *Policy features and limitations- Were the policy benefits and exclusions explained to you to clearly?
      *Information and disclosure- Did we give you enough information and help so you could make an informed decision? Were our services and status explained correctly?

Eligibility

The evidence detailing your status at the time of sale, confirms that at the time of sale, you were eligible for the PPI policy you bought.
      Policy features & limitations- Relating to complaint point - 1,2
      The documentation that you were provided with both at the point of sale and after purchasing your PPI policy, such as a summary of the policy and policy booklet, fully explained the benefits and limitations of the policy.
      In particular, I have reviewed the information that we give you about the exclusions and limitations of the policy and I have concluded that these were explained to you sufficiently clearly and you were not significantly affected by them.
      Having considered all the available evidence,I have come to the conclusion that the features of the policy were adequately presented to you so that you cold make an informed choice as to whether or not you wished to purchase the PPI policy.
      Information and disclosure- Relating to complaint point- 3,4
      I can verify that there was no alternative policies available at the time of sale.
      When considering the information available I can conclude that the documentation was provided to customers at the time contained sufficient information to ensure you could make an informed decision as to whether the policy met your personal requirements
      It cannot therefore be concluded that the information and disclosure given was inappropriate in the circumstances.

Conclusion.

In light of my findings I am unable to agree that your complaint should be upheld.
      I believe that the information provided at the time of the sale was a fair presentation of the features of the policy and explained the exclusions and the total cost of the insurance. I am also of the opinion that it was clear, fair and not misleading therefore allowing you to make a fully informed choice.
      My review has not highlighted any failings with the sale that would lead me to believe your decision to purchase the PPI policy would have changed.
      I trust that I have clearly explained the reasons for my decision.However, if you not agree with with my decision please contact us on 08456014034 or write in providing further supporting evidence to support your claim. I will consider any additional information and advise you whether I change my decision. If I do not here from you within twenty eight days of the date of this letter, I will close your complaint and consider it resolved.
      In the event that you remain unhappy with my decision , you have the right to refer your complaint to the financial ombudsman service (FOS), Any referral to FOS must be made within six month of the date on this letter. I enclose a copy of the FOS's leaflet about its service
      Your sincerely
      xxxx xxxxxx

Customer services
      Hi again

First of all, I would like to state that there does seem to be a lot of rejections in regards of Halifax PPI complaints, and I'm sure there are a few on this site.
      Hopefully someone who have had dealings directly with them will post up of their own experience, and possibly say if they had a similar letter or not.

But I note you do have the opportunity to write again further before you complain to the FOS.

I would personally write back with any possible further information, and ask them to review your complaint with the further information provided.
      I would say that you believe they overlooked your complaint, because if you didnt think you had reason to reclaim and make a reclaim in the first place then you would not be on to this now.

For the fact that you were self employed, do you know if they covered for that? (As some do and others do not).
      If the policy does not cover for self employment, I would say that the fact that this would not have covered you, you were not informed of this at the time, and if this was sold correctly to you at the time, then obviously you would not have been sold the policy. So in this case the adviser sold you a policy worthless to you.

Was there any pre med conditions at the time when it was sold to you, that you didnt include on the complaint?
      If there were any pre med conds at the time of being sold the policy, for eg, back condition, asthma and so on, then they will not have paid out on a sickness claim.

I would give them any further info you may have that was not included on the first letter of complaint
      Also ask the to provide concrete evidence they do have which helped them come to the decision to reject your complaint, for instance, how would they know it was literally sold directly to you, as they were not present at the time of the sale.

I would also send the chief executive officer (CEO) a copy and make the complaints team aware of this at the same time, as you don't feel your complaint been thoroughly investigated, not your genuine reasons taken into account.
      When you send a copy to the CEO, make him or her aware that your not happy with the way your complaint been handled, and do feel it was overlooked/ignored, and you want this matter re-visited by taking into account your reasons on why your making a complaint.

Do keep at them ;-)

Good luck and ask for further help if required x

Comment

Hello and thank you Di for taking the time to reply.

I am now in the process of writing a reply to my mis sold policy that was rejected.

I am not sure what more I can add to to my complaint but will mention that that I did and still have a pre existing medical condition. I did at the time and still do take prescription medication for my asthma.
        I also wonder if I should state that to the best of my knowledge they is no difference in the way I was mis sold this policy to another credit card policy which i was mis sold to me by the halifax? (I had a complaint upheld in january 2012 on my other credit card)

I wll send a copy to the CEO of the halifax. Sholud I also state that if they do not uphold my complaint on this occasion I will have no choice but to make a complaint to the FSO.

Thank you again Dii

Ian.
        Last edited by 2-cats; 2nd April 2013, 10:43:AM.

Comment

Ian, I have had the same identical letter of rejection from the Halifax and LLoyds TSB re a credit card. I wrote back to them and provided further evidence, highlighting that they cannot be certain the policy was sold directly to me and I was aware of all its inclusions and exclusions as they were not there to confirm anything. Basically, they wrote back rejecting me again. I wrote back for the second time and still they would not budge. I forwarded the matter to the FOS and it is now in their hands. I am certain lenders have smartened up on the matter and from the way rejections for PPI claims are now made immediately by the lenders they are not at all worried about us contacting the FOS. In fact I now feel the FOS is also softening on the complaints. I believe we are nearing closure of the PPI claims.
          Anyway, I have another claim with the Halifax which again they rejected and claim I had no PPI policy on the second card. I have now requested an SAR and am waiting. I will certainly keep you posted on the all developments with my Halifax case. One thing I will encourage you to do is do not give up and continue with your resilance. They want us to give up and stop, I believe those of us who have a strong case should persist in coming back and continue to disagree to the refusal. Good luck with you and share your updates on the forum.

Comment

Originally posted by 2-cats View Post
            Hello and thank you Di for taking the time to reply.

I am now in the process of writing a reply to my mis sold policy that was rejected.

I am not sure what more I can add to to my complaint but will mention that that I did and still have a pre existing medical condition. I did at the time and still do take prescription medication for my asthma.
            I also wonder if I should state that to the best of my knowledge they is no difference in the way I was mis sold this policy to another credit card policy which i was mis sold to me by the halifax? (I had a complaint upheld in january 2012 on my other credit card)

I wll send a copy to the CEO of the halifax. Sholud I also state that if they do not uphold my complaint on this occasion I will have no choice but to make a complaint to the FSO.

Thank you again Dii

Ian.
            Hi Ian

Yes include details of your asthma and tell them that you did not realise that you would have been excluded from making a claim, as it appears that you now also realise that a pre med condition (that you had then and still have now) would have stopped you making a successful claim for this reason.

Yes, mention that you recently succeeeded in another complaint for the same reason as well. It all helps.
            And state that if you hear nothing by 14 (or 21 days maximum from the date of your letter) you will be taking the matter further with your evidence of your complaint.
            I would send the letter to both complaints who dealt with it and the CEO.

Good luck ;-)

Comment

Hi Ian
              i had exactly the same rejection letter from halifax , almost word for word.
              Im still fighting my case and currently waiting for my sar from them which they seem to be holding out till the last minute.
              Good luck with your claim and keep hounding them

john

Comment

By the way Ian keep in touch with Di and keep her up to date , She gives sound advice .

john

Comment

Hi all. I too received a similar generic letter for my claim. Modifying a template posted in another thread, I sent a letter straight back to Halifax arguing my case. They called me for more info, not sure why since all the info was clearly stated in the letter and form. And then the letter came, again rejecting my claim. I simply can't understand why they are rejecting the claim, because my situation is similar to others who have been successful at claiming - with Halifax!!!!! In a nut-shell, I was told having MPPI was a requirement for taking out a Halifax mortgage, and I was not informed that I could take out a MPPI with another provider - according to what I've read, both are grounds for mis-selling. I guess its of to FOS now, I'm just worried that they'll reject it also after reading some earlier comments..... Any ideas for aiding the FOS approach??

Comment

Originally posted by austinp View Post
                    Hi all. I too received a similar generic letter for my claim. Modifying a template posted in another thread, I sent a letter straight back to Halifax arguing my case. They called me for more info, not sure why since all the info was clearly stated in the letter and form. And then the letter came, again rejecting my claim. I simply can't understand why they are rejecting the claim, because my situation is similar to others who have been successful at claiming - with Halifax!!!!! In a nut-shell, I was told having MPPI was a requirement for taking out a Halifax mortgage, and I was not informed that I could take out a MPPI with another provider - according to what I've read, both are grounds for mis-selling. I guess its of to FOS now, I'm just worried that they'll reject it also after reading some earlier comments..... Any ideas for aiding the FOS approach??
                    Hi and welcome.

Yes you are in your right to complain to the FOS now, but what I would first consider is emailing/writing to the Chief Executive officer (CEO), and say your not happy with the complaints team rejecting your complaint, as it appears you have received a basic generic letter (and aware of many others in the same position receiving exactly the same letter from word to word), this is poor customer service and you now don't believe your complaint have even been looked into but just automatically rejected without taking your complaint seriously.

I would ask the CEO to look into this matter, as you believe you have grounds to complain with the reasons you applied in your complaint, but feel badly let down. Confirm if you did not have reason to complain in the first place then you would not have wasted your valuable time in doing so. Say you want your complaint re-visted, and for them to get back to you by 14 days in order for you to consider taking further action with your complaint.

(If you hear nothing by 14 days, then complain to the FOS).

Hope this helps, good luck.

Comment

Hi Di :-)

Many thanks for your message, I'll certainly contact the Halifax CEO before FOSing ;-) A question you probably get asked a lot, how do I find the CEO's name and address detail?

Once again, many thanks.

Phil

Comment

Hi Austinp

This is the CE David Nicholson and the email adress. email davidnicholson@halifax.co.uk

Good luck I have some good resaults when contacting the CEO as a last resort.
                        Gill x

Comment

Hi Austinp
                          I forgot to add the adress OOOOPS! here it is.....
                          Mr David Nicholson. Managing Director. Halifax. PO Box 548. Leeds LS1 1WU
                          Gill xc

Comment

**Claim update**

Well here we are 1 Year 11 Month since i asked for help on here.

After reviving letters at 12 month and again at 18 month from the Ombudsman stating that my PPI i claim is still in there hands i finally revived a reply from them late November 2014 stating that my complaint should be upheld and that they have wrote to the Halifax stating there findings and give the Halifax 21 days to reply (which they did not) but the Halifax did reply to Ombudsman a week later,

In the middle of January i received another letter from the Ombudsman stating that the Halifax now agree with the findings of the ombudsman and i was informed that the Halifax would be in touch in 6-8 weeks.

On the 3rd February {boy that was quick) i revived a letter from the Halifax stating that "I HAVE DECIDED TO UPHOLD YOUR COMPLAINT" It also stated a final offer payment which will be put in my bank account within 28 days. On the 9th of February (6 days after the final settlement letter) my bank account was credited with £827 from my PPi claim:dance:

Not a much a my other PPI claim from a payment i received for another card but but its still better in my bank than the Halifax trying to hold on to it!!

The moral of the story i guess is don't be put off by the standard letters that they send out trying to put you off from perusing your claim. OK i has took me just under 2 year to get some susses but its been worth it :first:

Good luck to you all who have claims pending and stick with them.

Ian.

Comment

Dear Ian, congratulations! Well done, pursuing your case!
                              I agree with every word. You are absolutely right.
                              This Forum is really very special, people here are wonderful, most helpful and supportive.
                              Thank you, everyone, for fabulous job you do, helping people.
                              Thank you, Ian, for such a good news. It will be an inspiration for others.
                              Once again, bravo and congratulations!
                              Victoria

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X