• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Barclays PPI claims - gestures of goodwill? Advice please!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barclays PPI claims - gestures of goodwill? Advice please!

Hello

Apologies from a complete newbie, I have just joined the forum hoping for advice regarding two offers from Barclays received today. We claimed for a loan and credit card and have received two letters saying that because no records are held due to the age of the policies, we are being offered £1800 and £500 as a gesture of goodwill. They have enclosed the cheque, and say we should contact the FOS if unhappy. It all seems a bit too "pat" - we had that card for years - the loan was from 2002 to 2004. - the letters don't say which amount applies to which, either! Is it right that we can check further to get info on what we paid? if so, how, please?
    Any info much appreciated...
    Tags: None

Re: Barclays PPI claims - gestures of goodwill? Advice please!

Hi there and welcome to LB.

Have you by any chance tried asking for the paperwork from the Data dept? this is usually separate to that of the complaints dept, and if you can manage to get hold of any information at all in relation of the accounts it may help your case.

What you should get back is what you actually paid of the monthly ppi premiums and the relevant interest.

If you have not requested for any of the information on the accounts, you can optionally do this by sending a subject access request (SAR), where they have up to 40 calendar days to comply.
    With this request you enclose £10 cheque or postal order, one SAR should cover every account you have with one business, so if you taken out several loans and cards with the same business - one SAR is sufficient to cover for it all.

If you have not one this, one of us will be most happy to enclose the SAR template letter, if you wish to do this.

So are they still saying to accept the money you can still complain to the FOS?

Comment

Hello

Thanks for the welcome and reply - we'd appreciate the SAR template, as it would make sense to see what we'd paid rather than just accept £500 or £1800. ?

The letter is quite short, it just says they are upholding our complaint, the standard process would be to offer a full refund together with interest paid, plus 8% per annum simple interest. However as the sale of the policy was so long ago they no longer have any records so it cannot be calculated. So a a gesture of goodwill they offer £500 - if we have any records that will help they will be prepared to consider them. The cheque is enclosed - they say this is their final response to the complaint and if we are not happy, we have the right to refer to the FOS.Within six months.

Nothing about not cashing the cheque, though. (??)

Do you think it's worth applying for the SAR? The card does go back a while, it seems a paltry amount if this is the £500 award - we did use it heavily at times... We think that the £1800 probably does refer to the loan although we can't be certain as they haven't differentiated - it all seems very standardised and general, these letters. We did send them two different forms, but the letters and cheque all came back together, in one envelope.

Thanks again for your help - it is very good of you.

Comment

Hiya

Your welcome.

As they have 40 calendar days to comply, which they HAVE to do by sending all they so still hold, at least that is still giving you time to make your complaint to the FOS if you have to, so if you did come across anything useful in regards of the account, of how much, this and that etc, then they may even consider paying further redress of what could be possibly owed to you.

They do state its the final decision, so whether or not they will still review the case will depend on how lenient they will be I suppose, as every business is different.
        So but wonder if by cashing in the cheque, they will see this as you accepted the offers.

What confuses me on this one is that they already enclosed the cheque refunds without an acceptance from you to sign, so maybe one of the other great folks here will have a suggestion for that one.
        And again, how long can hold on to cheque's these days before cashing them in? a few weeks?? So best to be sure on that one as well.

Maybe one of our folks here will have some useful suggestions on that one in regards of the cheque refunds. If it allows time to wait for the SAR, then all the better, because if no information is enclosed to help any further within the SAR, you will still have time to cash them in.

If you decide to want to still request for a SAR, this is entirely up to you of course. Here is one of our template letters here;

OUR ADDRESS
        YOUR POST TOWN
        YOUR POSTCODE

BANKS NAME
        BANKS ADDRESS
        BANKS POSTCODE

Date

Account No: XXXXXXXX Sort Code: XX XX XX

Dear Sir/Madam

D
        ata Protection Act disclosure request

Under the Data Protection Act 1984 and 1998, and including the right of subject access under these acts, please supply me with all data that your company holds relating to my entire account history. Please include details of all transactions, and a copy of the original contract by which this account is/was governed at the time it was opened including all amendments made to the contract terms since opening the account.

I would also like a schedule of all charges & interest applied to my account(s) including details of any instances that required manual intervention. If you are unable to provide this specific information, copy statements will suffice.

All data, including data held on a microfiche must be provided within a reasonable timescale, a maximum of 40 days.

It seems a lot of banks are also wrongly interpreting the Data Protection Act (DPA) 1998 as a requirement to only disclose six years worth of personal data, and this is also wholly wrong. The DPA clearly states that all information held must be disclosed and it has no correlation to the Limitation act 1980 at all. If you no longer hold data beyond 6 years however, I would like a signed declaration from your data controller and a copy of all documents pertaining to its proper disposal.

Whilst not exhaustive and for the avoidance of doubt I shall list what I require:

* Full copies of all contracts that exist between myself and your organisation; including copies of any documents you hold in support of same.

* Copies of all statements relating to the above accounts.

* Copies of all correspondence, including all letters, faxes, emails and memos sent and received between ourselves, and any other third party in relation to any of the above accounts.

* Copies of any telephone recordings and/or transcripts of these recordings as well as any logs or journals that relate to them.

* Copies of all documents which include any of my personal information including copies of any contracts or invoices, emails or computer records containing my personal information, or any records which pertain to this information.

* Full details and copies of any documents upon which you relied when you have provided my personal or financial information to any individual, organisation or third party.

* Full copies or transcripts of any computer logs or database records kept in relation to myself or in relation to my financial or personal information.

*Details of all systems you currently have in place to ensure my personal or financial information is kept securely, including details of those officers who currently have control of same, and at the time it was held or provided to a third party.

* Where any previous information or records held have been deleted or disposed of, the methods used to do so, including dates, reason for deletion, certificates or references confirming details of destruction. Where you are unable to provide such certificates, please provide a declaration, signed by an authorised officer of your company, confirming the dates and methods of destruction of this data.

I enclose the maximum statutory fee of £10 in the form of a postal order.

You have 40 days to comply with this request.

If you fail to comply fully I shall enter a formal complaint with the Information Commissioners Office which could result in a fine and prosecution.

Yours faithfully,

Your name

.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ..............................

I do hope this is of some help for you, and am sure one of our guys will check on this shortly. ;-)

The best of luck.

Comment

The same thing has happened to us this morning a gesture of goodwill for £500. But, we have provided statements showing the insurance going on the beginning of the loan, its from 1992 for 7 years, but they say they can't find a Policey and because it says "Insurance Premium" and not PPI they don't know what the insurance was for when when just phoned them?

Comment

Hello

Thanks for that - there is an update! Have just received another letter from Barclays - telling us they could not find any details of a policy so cannot up hold our complaint. I was confused until remembering that we'd sent off two forms, one for Credit Card and one for Masterloan - and there were two account numbers for the Card one - so that cheque must be for both of them - and the refusal is for the loan... So that makes a bit more sense!! (I'd thought at first that the cheque was for both cards and loan.)

Yes, the fact that the cheque was enclosed was unexpected, as all the stuff I've read says they give a breakdown and request acceptance of that figure then send the cheque?

So - I think we will send for the SAR to investigate the refused one anyway...! Any further advice from the experts would be most welcome - we do appreciate this.

Comment

[QUOTE=di30;309199]Hiya

Your welcome.

As they have 40 calendar days to comply, which they HAVE to do by sending all they so still hold, at least that is still giving you time to make your complaint to the FOS if you have to, so if you did come across anything useful in regards of the account, of how much, this and that etc, then they may even consider paying further redress of what could be possibly owed to you.

They do state its the final decision, so whether or not they will still review the case will depend on how lenient they will be I suppose, as every business is different.
              So but wonder if by cashing in the cheque, they will see this as you accepted the offers.

What confuses me on this one is that they already enclosed the cheque refunds without an acceptance from you to sign, so maybe one of the other great folks here will have a suggestion for that one.
              And again, how long can hold on to cheque's these days before cashing them in? a few weeks?? So best to be sure on that one as well.

Hello,

I had the same query with Barclays they just put the refund straight into my account as I still bank with them.When I called them they told me was if the account is already settled or closed and the complaint is upheld they will send you the refund. They only time they ask for your acceptance if the account(s) are still active. If I am not happy with the settlement figure I can write to them with further evidence or go to FOS.

Comment

Hello KnightRider

That is interesting Barclays saying they only ask for acceptance if the account is not closed, we are still paying back on these two cards, although this is through a Debt Plan so I suppose they class this as being closed? the card was taken out in 1994 - we still get statements but they are not pre 2005 when we entered the Debt Plan.

I wonder if it would be any good to try for an SAR to see if we could obtain some detail or not, now.?

(Also it was pretty final of them to actually pay the refund straight into the bank with not even the choice of refusing a cheque....! )

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X