• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Yorkshire Bank runaround

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yorkshire Bank runaround

Hi,

I am trying to find out if an old Yorkshire Bank credit card had PPI on it, I suspect it did as it was taken out the same time as my loan (had a lovely payout of £4568 in June - all done by my own fair hand on the loan )

The card was held from June 2005 - around Nov 2010 but I no longer have any of the details of the card as I have since moved house. I have tried ringing the YB customer service (non)helpline to be told they don't hold information on closed accounts, and to write to my Branch Manager, I did this over a month ago, but have heard nothing back from them, called the PPI claims line (YB have their own dedicated PPI department) to be told that they dont hold information on a closed account and to write to my Branch Manager, I rang my branch to be told that they dont hold records .... you get the picture, and to write to the communications department but they convieniently cut me off before giving me said address ... this has now happened on the 3 occasions I have managed to actually get through to them (miraculously once I have explained what I require and why, the line goes dead) ....Does anyone have the address of the communications department, Yorkshire Bank please?

Also, probably wishful thinking, but how far back does PPI go? I took out a BarclayCard many many years ago - 1980(ish), only closing the account in 2011, I dont suppose there would have been PPI back then??
    One life - Live it!
    Tags: None

Re: Yorkshire Bank runaround

Hi there
    Have you actually a local branch nearby?
    It maybe worth popping in, as it maybe a different matter if dealing directly with the business.

If the account was still active in 2010 or even settled in 2010, with it only being 2 years ago approx, they should still hold data.

Have you requested this in writing a Subject Access Request (SAR) letter to the Data protection dept of the business?
    They MUST comply by the Data Protection Act (DPA) and provide you with details of the account, going back at least 6 years, and they may even hold data going back prior to that.
    With that you have to enclose the one off fee cheque or postal order of £10, and they have up to 40 calendar days to comply.

Let us know if you would like us to post up a SAR letter template for you.

It could be that they have not bothered checking the data protection unit, or they maybe even trying to fob you off.
    Any problems, you can inform them you will be contacting the Information Commissioners Office (ICO) to complain about this matter.

If you no account number of the card to apply to the SAR letter, give them as many details as possible, full names and if any other names you were under when the card was active, addresses and so on, also your Date of birth should help.

I have been successful with reclaiming PPI with finance taken out from the mid 90's and others I've heard even earlier years.

It appears that years ago, that insurance seemed to have just been automatically added (moreso) I expect back then.

Do give it a go if you feel you have grounds to complain and reclaim.

Good luck.

Comment

Re: Yorkshire Bank runaround

Thanks for that Di, I dont have the card number anymore, all my paperwork was left behind when I walked out on my ex, I assume that they should be able to find the card details through my name, address DOB etc?

I dont have a "local" branch anymore as I now live in Kent,and the YB tends to be more "Northern" the nearest one is in Piccadilly, London and is part of the larger Clydesdale Branch, so dont expect much help from them.

I will give the SAR a go - and also try Barclaycard for the old card, you never know!

I made a claim on the Barclaycard when I became ill and unable to work for several months in 2003, will the fact that I made a claim on it mean that I can't now reclaim the PPI? I was only 18 when I took out this card and don't remember insurance ever being discussed, just told to sign in the appropriate places. The insurance only came to light when I called to ask if I could make reduced payments and they told me I was covered for sickness, unemployment etc, this sounds like PPI although they didn't call it that.

Thanks,

Kit
      Last edited by Kitiara; 19th November 2012, 10:39:AM. Reason: more info
      One life - Live it!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X