• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

New to PPI

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to PPI

Hi

I have had credit cards and a loan in the past from Halifax and Capital one and would like to find out if I had PPI sold/mis sold by requesting original agreements/documents as I no longer have them. I found the template below on the Moneysavingexpert and I'm a confused as to whether I can use this template and pay £1 or file a SAR which I believe costs £10? Also, I contacted Halifax and Capital and was informed that I don't/didn't have PPI on my credit cards, should I take their word for it or still pursue?

Any advice would be most appreciated :-)

"I am writing to request a copy of the credit agreement for the above account under sections 77−79 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974. I enclose payment for £1. I would also like to request a copy of the terms and conditions that were applicable to the above account at the time I took out my agreement [enter date agreement started if known in [insert date]], as I no longer have a copy and would like to check some of the details".
    Tags: None

Re: New to PPI

Hello and welcome to LB!

You are in just the right place or go for your enquiry and i know just the people to help you,,... I'll give them a shout for you.

Sit back and relax, and welcome to the mad house

p

Comment

Originally posted by smartgirl View Post
      Hi

I have had credit cards and a loan in the past from Halifax and Capital one and would like to find out if I had PPI sold/mis sold by requesting original agreements/documents as I no longer have them. I found the template below on the Moneysavingexpert and I'm a confused as to whether I can use this template and pay £1 or file a SAR which I believe costs £10? Also, I contacted Halifax and Capital and was informed that I don't/didn't have PPI on my credit cards, should I take their word for it or still pursue?

Any advice would be most appreciated :-)

"I am writing to request a copy of the credit agreement for the above account under sections 77−79 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974. I enclose payment for £1. I would also like to request a copy of the terms and conditions that were applicable to the above account at the time I took out my agreement [enter date agreement started if known in [insert date]], as I no longer have a copy and would like to check some of the details".
      Hello and welcome

I have known a few to be told NO ppi only later to find out there was.

So by requesting for a copy of the agreement is a start, that should take about 12 maybe 14 days to arrive, any ppi should be disclosed on the agreement.

However, please be aware if the account is closed, it is also known they may write back and say they are not obliged to sent, as the account is no longer active.
      But........
      if you request a SAR (Subject Access Request), they MUST comply by 40 calendar days.

If you require a full SAR template please give us a yell.

Comment

HI Dizzy Di and thanks so much for that info.

I have a couple more questions if you don't mind answering them.

The loan I got from Halifax was in 2005 and paid off in 2009, is this too late to claim PPI on this?

Do you know of anyone who has claimed against First National or know anything about the company. I bought a sofa on HP from Harveys and FN was the finance company they used at the time. I think PPI may have been added onto this as well.

Many thanks again for your help. :tinysmile_grin_t:

Comment

HI Dizzy Di and thanks so much for that info.

I have a couple more questions if you don't mind answering them.

The loan I got from Halifax was in 2005 and paid off in 2009, is this too late to claim PPI on this?

Do you know of anyone who has claimed against First National or know anything about the company. I bought a sofa on HP from Harveys and FN was the finance company they used at the time. I think PPI may have been added onto this as well.

Many thanks again for your help. :tinysmile_grin_t:
          Hiya

You are very welcome.

That is fine, I have made many successful reclaims from old accounts taken out in the 90's.

I have probably over the years came across others who have possibly made a reclaim against First National, but as there are so many businesses we complain of I cannot recall on what the business are like, but not a problem, what you would do here is pursue the ones who set up and sold you the finance.

Comment

Hi and thanks again for the really helpful advice.

I was about to send my SAR's off today recorded delivery but was wondering if I have had two accounts with Halifax, one being a credit card and the other a loan, does that mean I have to pay £20 instead of £10. Apologies if that's a really stupid question. :tinysmile_cry_t:

Comment

No--Quote both account numbers if you got em--Only £10 for an SAR that covers EVERY account (including those you may have forgotten about)

If you had just done the CCA request at £1--then you would have needed several at £1 each

ie----The SAR approach at £10 is the one to go for

Turbs

Hi and thanks again for the really helpful advice.

I was about to send my SAR's off today recorded delivery but was wondering if I have had two accounts with Halifax, one being a credit card and the other a loan, does that mean I have to pay £20 instead of £10. Apologies if that's a really stupid question. :tinysmile_cry_t:
              Last edited by Turboman; 26th October 2012, 19:20:PM. Reason: First line wrong

Comment

Hi as Turboman says, just one SAR.

If you banked with them and apply your bank account number they should provide you with all data they hold on you, of what finance you have taken out with them.
                So one payment with one SAR letter will cover all.

You can of course if you wish to, apply the account numbers on the same letter, so that they don't miss anything, but they should enclose everything.

Comment

Hi again

I received a letter back from Harveys furniture store (who I bought my sofa from on HP) together with a copy of the invoice that states they have a record of an agreement raised between myself and GE finance in 2006 but, since this time the company have changed ownership several times and any records should now be held with Santander. I called Santander and they informed me that they would not have any record of an agreement that I had with GE finance.

I'm anticipating a similar response from Morgan Stanley who I had a credit card with for several years and am still paying off, who I understand have been taken over by Barclays....arrgghhh!!!

Can anyone please advise on what happens to electronic/hardcopy records when companies change ownership? Is there some kind of parallel universe/Bermuda Triangle for lost records that I can contact?

It seems a bit strange that Harveys would have a copy of the invoice, a "record of an agreement" with GE finance but no copy of the actual agreement.

Any advice would be really appreciated.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                  Working...
                  X