• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Can I claim PPI for a deceased person?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I claim PPI for a deceased person?

Hi Everyone. I hope there is someone who can help me.

My mum suffered a stroke in 2005 and later died in February 2007. At the time of the stroke she has a large credit card balance and PPI. I contacted Abbey National about her situation, e.g. she was ill and therefore unable to pay the credit card balance. I was told that interest would still be added to the balance and payments would still be needed.

Between myself and my dad we paid off her credit card. We obviously had no idea she would die so soon after the stroke. It was only later that we were made aware that if we had left the balance and she had died the debt would have been wiped out.

Am I in a position to claim the PPI and the credit card balance we paid off? She didn't have a will so everything she had went to my dad (which wasn't much).

Any help would be gratefully received. I don't have the credit card statements anymore as we shredded them after we paid the final bit. Can I write to Santander (formerly Abbey National) for details of my mum' account or does it need to be my dad as he was her next of kin?
    Tags: None

Re: Can I claim PPI for a deceased person?

Did you make a claim against the PPI? If so why did the PPI not pay the payments whilst she was ill?
    Is no longer here

Comment

Originally posted by MrsBH View Post

My mum suffered a stroke in 2005 and later died in February 2007. At the time of the stroke she has a large credit card balance and PPI. I contacted Abbey National about her situation, e.g. she was ill and therefore unable to pay the credit card balance. I was told that interest would still be added to the balance and payments would still be needed.

Between myself and my dad we paid off her credit card. We obviously had no idea she would die so soon after the stroke. It was only later that we were made aware that if we had left the balance and she had died the debt would have been wiped out.

Am I in a position to claim the PPI and the credit card balance we paid off? She didn't have a will so everything she had went to my dad (which wasn't much).

Any help would be gratefully received. I don't have the credit card statements anymore as we shredded them after we paid the final bit. Can I write to Santander (formerly Abbey National) for details of my mum' account or does it need to be my dad as he was her next of kin?
      Personally speaking, I can see no reason as to why you and your father cannot re-claim the money owed to your late mother under the mis-sold PPI.

As your late mother died intestate, the monies owed would become part of her estate.

My sincere condolences to you and your father.

Comment

When I phoned Abbey National I was told that she still had to make payments each month and interest would still be added to the balance. We trusted that the customer services knew what they were talking about. Obviously not!

As it was quite an upsetting time for all of us - we didn't want her to worry about this so we sorted it.

I'm going to pursue this - and I'll let you know how I get on.

Thanks for the replies.

Comment

Mrs BH,

As a stroke survivor of some 20 yrs I just want to give you my condolences.

Was your dad a joint holder of the credit cards?
          If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of payments.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MrsBH View Post

I,m sorry to hear about your sad loss,Like p.f i too had a stroke in 2009 if i can help you with anything or you just want a chat please feel free to send me a personal message on here.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X