• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Latest Update on PPI Judicial Review - NO APPEAL - get your claims in......

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Latest updates on PPI Judicial Review and claims on hold

Nothing different as such or to what we already know - but this was posted on 18 March about banks intentially delaying PPI reclaims.

http://www.artsgrantsfinder.com/fina...ng-ppi-claims/

Hundreds of thousand of ppi claims from loan insurance will be put on hold for many months until legal battle ends. The British Bankers’ Association has announced that banks will postpone the old ppi claims relating to the sale of payment protection insurance (PPI). The cases is going to be dealt only if the conclusion of a judicial review has completed. The Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS) has revealed that ppi claims topped the list of complaints in the last financial year.

In August 2010, the Financial Services Authority (FSA) released a crackdown on the way banks along with other financial firms have been managing complaints about the mis-sold ppi policies. The City watchdogs required that banks along with other lenders will have to review old complaints about ppi claims and other ppi related issues. It ordered to follow fresh rules which were added on December 1.

The FSA expects its new rules to force financial services industry to deal with 2.75 million ppi claims and ppi associated cases and claimants could be refunded just as much as ¡Ì2.7bn. However, the British Bankers’ Association (BBA), which represents the High Street banks, called the new rules illegal and retrospective by applying new standards to their old sales. It announced lately that it was seeking a judicial review.

The BBA then states that any case that may be affected by the results of the said judicial review which can not be heard in the High Court until earlier this year will be put on hold. The BBA mentioned in its statement that the evaluation of the complaint will not be affected by the judicial review and these complaints will be handled in a normal way. However, if the complaint will be impacted by the judicial review, and cannot be resolved at this time, then banks will write to notify their customers.

FSA’s rules allowed these cases to be put on hold until the case was over. There also been no application for a waiver similar to the official hold on cases set up during the past legal arguments over unauthorized bank charges. However, this move is likely to add an additional aspect to the dispute, with the FSA saying that firms will be expected to continue handling ppi claims and other complaints while this process is ongoing. Also, complainants would still be eligible for take their cases to the Financial Ombudsman Office if the bank has not dealt with it within eight weeks of the initial complaint, even if the case is on hold.

The banks assume that FSA is acting beyond its powers in ordering them to offer compensation to their customers for past mis-selling under its general rules referred to as Principles of Business Sourcebook.

Comment

The Competition Commission have published their final order banning the selling of PPI at the point of sale.

Article
      Competition Commission confirms PPI sales ban - IFAonline

Order
      http://www.competition-commission.or...%282011%29.pdf

Graphic illustration
      Last edited by EXC; 25th March 2011, 15:14:PM.

Comment

The CC have also updated their Q&A document on issues raised during their investigation which serves as quite a useful summary of the final order.

http://www.competition-commission.or..._PPI_Order.pdf

Comment

I've spoken to Egg again today and was told that my complaint is still on hold until the outcome of the judicial review is known. Egg apparently thinks the nature of my complaint (being self-employed) is caught by matters being challenged in court - I don't really understand why. Can anybody summarise it for me?

It's been almost 12 weeks. Should I just go to the FOS now? I've heard it's better to get complaint in to the FOS before the JR outcome, because the FOS would be forced to use existing rules to handle all outstanding complaints - is that true?

Comment

I am self-emplyed diabetic and was at the time my bank hammered my account with over 12ks worth of PPI. My case is somehow affected by the JR too.

Comment

Originally posted by mids View Post
              I am self-emplyed diabetic and was at the time my bank hammered my account with over 12ks worth of PPI. My case is somehow affected by the JR too.

i think the banks are using it as an excuse now they seem to be putting everything on hold.

Comment

Originally posted by cappo View Post
                i think the banks are using it as an excuse now they seem to be putting everything on hold.
                I don't, I think most are following BBA Guidelines set out since the FSA wrote to all firms with regards to progressing claims.
                "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
                (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

Found this whilst researching, a letter from the FOS to a company, which I assume most complainants received.

http://www.crystallegal.com/blog/wp-...S-Document.pdf

This one was dated 15 March 2011

I've not heard from the poster over at MSE either, that was meant to post up his letter from word to word, when he states he also received £100 from the FOS for the distress and inconvenience.

Comment

Hello all.... should be fast tracked.. apparently.

Hold in there.

Comment

Originally posted by NLP View Post
                      Hello all.... should be fast tracked.. apparently.

Hold in there.
                      hi nlp any news, have you heard anything on the grapevine at all.:tinysmile_hmm_t2:

Comment

Is NLP being sarcastic perhaps, judging by previous threads!
                        ------------------------------- merged -------------------------------
                        Is Justice Ousley back from his 2 month holiday?
                        Last edited by Danlaw; 26th March 2011, 21:09:PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by Danlaw View Post
                          Is NLP being sarcastic perhaps, judging by previous threads!
                          ------------------------------- merged -------------------------------

lets be nice guys the greedy bankers are the one,s we shouid be mad at not each other if it wasn,t for the greed of these financial institutions no one wouid need to post on forums about them

Comment

If you had been following the administration court list you would see that Mr Justice Ousley has been very busy hearing cases and handing down judgements.

A holiday far from it
                            If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of payments.

sigpic

Comment

High Court PPI case to end but refund struggle will go on

By Richard Dyson
                              Last updated at 9:55 PM on 26th March 2011

Judgment in the court case over complaints about payment protection insurance is expected shortly. But whatever the outcome, victims are still expected to face a struggle to get refunds.
                              PPI policies were mis-sold in their millions, mainly alongside personal loans, with banks being the biggest culprits as they chased the vast profits built into the deals.
                              PPI premiums, occasionally exceeding £10,000, were simply added by lenders to borrowers' loans. Sometimes the PPI, which is supposed to meet borrowers' repayments if they lose their income, has proved useful. But often borrowers were ineligible for the cover or didn't even know they had been sold it.

This led to hundreds of thousands of complaints, many of which were rejected by banks. But complainants who took disputes to the Financial Ombudsman Service usually won.
                              Delays: Chief Ombudsman Natalie Ceeney says that some banks are being less co-operative

Last October, the banks, fronted by trade body the British Bankers Association, took the FOS and the Financial Services Authority to court. The BBA claimed the FOS's findings in PPI disputes were unfair. The High Court is now close to reaching a judgment, according to the parties involved.

The best outcome for consumers would be a clear ruling in their favour, ending the need for so many to seek recourse to the FOS.
                              'Some banks are clearly using the court case as a reason not to process claims,' says Chris Warner, of lobby group Which? 'If the BBA is told it does not have a case, banks will have to get on and deal with complaints.'
                              But even with that outcome consumers might be stymied, Warner points out, if the BBA decides to appeal.
                              A less clear-cut outcome, which some expect, would see confusion persisting and a continued high level of cases going to the FOS.
                              But the key point for complainants, according to the FOS, is that cases can still be referred to it as usual.

So even though banks are writing to complainants saying they will not look at the cases until the judgment is issued, complainants are entitled to refer their cases to the FOS after the eight-week 'deadlock' period after the initial complaint has passed.

A spokeswoman says: 'Don't be put off making complaints. We're still dealing with PPI cases, but it is taking longer.'
                              The increased time in dealing with cases is due partly to the legal case and to the large number of complaints, which continue to grow.
                              About 70,000 PPI cases are under consideration. The FOS expects a further 70,000 during the next 12 months. But the FOS, overseen by Chief Ombudsman Natalie Ceeney, also says some banks and other firms are taking a 'less cooperative stance in progressing PPI cases', adding further to delays.
                              REFORMS: Sales rules change

On Thursday, the Competition Commission published the final rules on how scandal-hit payment protection insurance should be sold in future.
                              PPI will not be allowed to be sold alongside a loan until at least seven days after the loan is agreed.
                              And borrowers will have to be given a personalised quote, detailing costs and cover.
                              On top of this there must be wording saying that PPI is an optional add-on to a loan.
                              In the past, bank staff routinely lied to borrowers, or misled them into believing they would not get a loan unless they bought expensive PPI.
                              This ploy was effective where borrowers were desperate for credit, or had little choice of loan provider.
                              The order contains a further useful proviso that will require all PPI sellers to reveal how many customers were successful in claiming on their policies.

Comment

Originally posted by leclerc View Post
                                I don't, I think most are following BBA Guidelines set out since the FSA wrote to all firms with regards to progressing claims.
                                The FSA letter has had no impact at all. They are treating the regulator like a little lap dog....fact of the matter is this.

Virtually all claims from L/TSB banking group, HSBC, Barclays, RBS and MBNA are on hold regardless whether they have broken ICOB/ICOBS or the gen law.

We had one last wk where the client is reg disabled and was out of work at the point of sale. And guess what, L/TSB say this is effected by the JR!!!

I'm sorry ICELERC, but if you gen believe that, then you really do need to wake up and smell the coffee.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X