• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Statute barred and PPI

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Statute barred and PPI

Hi

Can anyone advise please?

Before the PPI deadline I filled in some details with a PPI claims company.

I only did this as I was convinced that I never had any PPI - I checked my paperwork carefully and am also from a financial background!

The company responded saying that I had PPI with an RBOS card - around £200. My question is that the debt is now statute barred as it was from the 'unenforceable agreement' time. I have not claimed or responded to this as - am I correct in believing that if I do accept this they will simply take it off the outstanding statute barred debt? and I will have to still pay the PPI company?

My second one is a Lloyds card from a few years ago - they issued court proceedings but then discontinued them. Will they still take the PPI refund amount off the remaining balance?

Will either of these count as making a payment? As, if so, these will surely count as a payment to an otherwise statute barred debt and acknowledging it all over again?

Thanks
    Tags: None

Originally posted by Foxyflugel View Post
    Hi

The company responded saying that I had PPI with an RBOS card - around £200. My question is that the debt is now statute barred as it was from the 'unenforceable agreement' time. I have not claimed or responded to this as - am I correct in believing that if I do accept this they will simply take it off the outstanding statute barred debt? and I will have to still pay the PPI company?

Thanks
    RBS would most likely off set it, yes. Most, if not all CMCs have clauses in their contracts that require you to pay their fee regardless if any compensation is off set.

My second one is a Lloyds card from a few years ago - they issued court proceedings but then discontinued them. Will they still take the PPI refund amount off the remaining balance?
    Most probably.

Will either of these count as making a payment? As, if so, these will surely count as a payment to an otherwise statute barred debt and acknowledging it all over again?
    Tough to say. You could argue that if the bank off sets a PPI award then strictly speaking it is they and not you who made the payment regardless of whether it used your money to do it.

Most credit card PPI awards don't amount to much (in comparison to loan PPI etc) so my advice would be not to rock the boat and sleep easy. Have you actually signed up with a CMC and what CMC are you using?

Comment

Hi

Thanks for your reply.

Lloyds have sent me a cheque!Â*

I'm wondering if I should try and get the RBS refund now? They no longer send me statements as they were doing and it is well over 6 years - would they still have my account on record?

The CMC is called Reclaim PPI.

Thanks for your help.

Foxy

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X