• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Help with Santander PPI complaint

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with Santander PPI complaint

Good evening,

First time poster on this site looking for some advice after my PPI complaint with Santander was rejected. Any help / experiences will be gratefully received.

I took out a Debenhams store card in store in 1997. It was offered to me as part of an in-store promotion giving me 10% discount on purchases I was making.

Santander have just investigated the claim for the insurer, Axa and for themselves.

Axa rejected the complaint and Santander said it was time-barred. I was however offered £200 by them for them not disclosing commission on the PPI.

In the rejection letter the PPI sale was classed as a non-advised sale so the fact I had excellent employee benefits and income protection was not taken into account as it wasn’t the store workers responsibility to see if the policy was appropriate for me.

I have read when researching non-advised sales that most store card complaints are upheld at FOS due to optionality, lack of information provided to you and the costs not being disclosed.

Also, I found that for a non-advised sale the obligation is on firms to provide the appropriate information to customers in good time before the sale to enable the customer to make an informed decision as to whether the insurance is necessary or suitable. Where companies have been found to have mis-sold PPI, important information about the insurance was not provided to all customers in good time before the conclusion of the contract; and in some instances customers were provided with inaccurate or misleading information about the insurance.

From my recollection when I got the store card I don’t remember receiving any information about PPI. I don’t remember being told what the product was and was definitely not told if other products were available from other sources. Also, no information was given as to the flutuation or rise in insurance in realtion to the balance of the card.

As this has been investigated by Santander and it is their final response should I now refer the complaint to FOS or should I try emailing the CEO of Santander as some people have done?

I have one other question. Included in the explanation from Santander were these 2 sentences:

“We have on file a copy of a store card agreement you were asked to sign when opening the account. This has an optional, separate place to indicate the inclusion of PPI.”

To me it sounds like they are describing what would have been signed at the time but that they don’t have my signed agreement form. Unless it is poor wording on their part?

If anyone has any advice about what my next step should be, I would be most grateful.

Thank you.

Tags: None

Hello did you get anywhere with this. In exactly the same boat. Seams to me If it’s your luck or not if they pay out. It’s really annoyed me this one to be honest as the interest rates on these cards are higher than the credit cards that we have been successful in claiming.

Comment

Hello* I have had same response - any advice please?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X