• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Barclaycard/egg refusal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barclaycard/egg refusal

Hi, I'm new hear and looking for some help.

Many years ago I had an egg card with PPI, 2003 to be exact and I paid off the balance in and around 2008/9. As you probably know Barclaycard bought over the credit card part of Egg, I received a barclayrcard but didn't use it.

To cut a long story short I applied for a PPI refund but Barclaycard have refused on the grounds that it was a 'postal application' and I was, apparently, told the PPI was optional. Maybe I'm being thick here but how would I have been told anything if it was postal? Anyway, the application, was, I'm 99% sure, done online but I definitely did speak to a call centre advisor, there's no way I would have taken out a brand new credit card online with no other contact whatsoever. I was advised by a customer service advisor that I would be better taking PPI because it would 'put up my credit rating' lol. God I was green then. To be fair though it was before banks started throwing money at everyone and it was harder to get credit, those were the days we were made to feel banks were doing us plebs a favour by lending us money.

I note that Egg were fined in 2008 because of PPI mis-selling practices prior to that, especially in the earlier days before Citigroup bought it over in 2007 yet Barclaycared have actually said that I 'wasn't pressured' into taking it. They did refund me about £100 because they have addmitted the commission rate was high, over 50% of the premium. What's the best way forward? How can I prove that there was a phone call as I assume those records wouldn't be available now, plus I hadn't an account number when the call took place?
    Last edited by marsbars; 4th October 2018, 08:39:AM.
    Tags: None

In 2003 it wouldn't have been an online agreement, it couldn't have been digitally signed until end of 2004 as the regulations didn't allow it so it would have been an agreement sent to you to sign.

Do you have a copy of the actual credit agreement ?

if Barclaycard have said that is their final response you can take the complaint forward to the Financial Ombudsman.
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

I don't have any copies, I can't remember at this stage the exact details but I do remember typing in details on the PC although I may have filled the forms out on computer and printed, signed and posted off. Just emailed barclaycard with a SAR to see exactly what they have.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X