• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Reclaiming PPI - old Goldfish card / CPP

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reclaiming PPI - old Goldfish card / CPP

Hi
    I’m helping my dad reclaim ppi against an old Goldfish credit card. The card and accompanying protection was opened in 1997 and Ive attached the relevant document. My dad has spoken with Barclaycard who took on the Goldfish accounts and was advised to follow up his claim with Card Protection Plan (CPP).

Upon doing so my father received correspondence from CPP stating that they had sent a scheme of arrangements (SOA) to my dads (very)old address offering an opportunity to claim misell. CPP state that under SOA the last date claim forms could be received was February 2015 and the claim time is bared.

I know vey little on PPI SOA and it strikes me as unfair that correspondence was sent to an address my father hasnt lived at for about 16 years. I d be grateful for advice in next steps, my dad has sooke with the ombudsmen and again correspondence enclosed.
    Last edited by andy1ad; 19th February 2018, 12:31:PM. Reason: Adding the missing attachments
    Tags: None

Attachments added
    Attached Files

Comment

Hi has anyone got any help they can offer on this one please?

Comment

Hi Andy, Sorry I've missed your post before, just having a read through xxx
        #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Okay, In their letter they say the CPP has been set to cancel from March 2018 ? Does this mean that your Dad still has the account that started off with the Goldfish card and is still currently being charged CPP ? This would also mean they have your Dad's current address and there would be no reason for them to have sent the letter about misselling claims to a 16 year old address.... the only reason that would be legitimate is if your Dad had closed the account over 16 years ago and never given them an updated address, so I reckon they can't just give an arbitary time limit on claiming - the limitations act would give him 6 years (or 3 if you agree with that time limit - I don't ) from when he found out about the CPP having been missold, which it seems wouldn't have been until he spoke to Barclaycard about PPI and they told him the CPP may have been missold.
          #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
            Okay, In their letter they say the CPP has been set to cancel from March 2018 ? Does this mean that your Dad still has the account that started off with the Goldfish card and is still currently being charged CPP ? This would also mean they have your Dad's current address and there would be no reason for them to have sent the letter about misselling claims to a 16 year old address.... the only reason that would be legitimate is if your Dad had closed the account over 16 years ago and never given them an updated address, so I reckon they can't just give an arbitary time limit on claiming - the limitations act would give him 6 years (or 3 if you agree with that time limit - I don't ) from when he found out about the CPP having been missold, which it seems wouldn't have been until he spoke to Barclaycard about PPI and they told him the CPP may have been missold.
            Hi Amethyst, Apols for delay. Update as follows:

I checked the details my Dad had provided again and started to wonder.... The CPP stuff is actually nothing to do with PPI; rather it relates to card protection for theft or the card and things like that. CPP had responded because they presumed my Dad was claiming against miselling of this particular product. There have been cases of this in the past; the Financial Ombudsman who once considered them closed this scheme in 2014.

https://www.fca.org.uk/news/news-sto...scheme-closure

The CPP letter was useful for one thing though - it enabled me to estimate when my Dad first opened the credit card account (Q1 1997).

This is important because Goldfish has passed hands several times so this needs to be established to understand who the claim needs to be directed to. My assumption is that HFC Bank would have been the owners of Goldfish accounts at that time and therefore the sellers of PPI so I'm thinking of sending a CCA/SAR to them. I'm not sure though and need some help to both validate these understandings and to take the appropriate next action.

Thanks,
            Andy

Comment

Originally posted by andy1ad View Post

Hi Amethyst, Apols for delay. Update as follows:

I checked the details my Dad had provided again and started to wonder.... The CPP stuff is actually nothing to do with PPI; rather it relates to card protection for theft or the card and things like that. CPP had responded because they presumed my Dad was claiming against miselling of this particular product. There have been cases of this in the past; the Financial Ombudsman who once considered them closed this scheme in 2014.

https://www.fca.org.uk/news/news-sto...scheme-closure

The CPP letter was useful for one thing though - it enabled me to estimate when my Dad first opened the credit card account (Q1 1997).

This is important because Goldfish has passed hands several times so this needs to be established to understand who the claim needs to be directed to. My assumption is that HFC Bank would have been the owners of Goldfish accounts at that time and therefore the sellers of PPI so I'm thinking of sending a CCA/SAR to them. I'm not sure though and need some help to both validate these understandings and to take the appropriate next action.

Thanks,
              Andy
              Hi, Any advice on next actions in lieu of the above appreciated. This seems relatively simple query so hopefully not too arduous to understand and advise(?)
              Thanks
              Andy

Comment

Hiya, If you put a @ symbol by my name then I'd get a nudge to pop in and read - posts can get drowned sometimes and missed, my apologies.

The PPI claim is indeed separate from the CPP - CPP is likely to be a much smaller sum and those letters from FOS only relate to the CPP.

It isn't of any relevance to the PPI claim and you should proceed with that. When your dad spoke to BC and they said to look at the CPP, was that because they were saying there wasn't any PPI on the card?
                #staysafestayhome

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
                  Hiya, If you put a @ symbol by my name then I'd get a nudge to pop in and read - posts can get drowned sometimes and missed, my apologies.

The PPI claim is indeed separate from the CPP - CPP is likely to be a much smaller sum and those letters from FOS only relate to the CPP.

It isn't of any relevance to the PPI claim and you should proceed with that. When your dad spoke to BC and they said to look at the CPP, was that because they were saying there wasn't any PPI on the card?
                  Amethyst
                  No problems, I was delayed in replying ot your response higher up and you have helped me a lot in the past!

Anyway, to answer your questions... I'm not sure about the conversation between my Dad and Barclaycard as I was not present, sadly. Its likely he was unclear in the conversation and has spoken about CPP in total ignorance that its totally unrelated to PPI and therein, that's created the confusion.

I believe he did have PPI and I also think that I need to send a CCA/SAR request (not sure which is best) to the original provider of the card way back in 1997. I assume this to be HFC Bank. Not sure if its worth sending similar requests to Barclaycard who absorbed Goldfish into the portfolio (this after the Goldfish accounts changed providers a few times in between).

Comment

If BC took over Goldfish they are likely to hold all the documentation too so I would SAR BC first of all.

But you (well, your dad) could put a complaint about the PPI in direct to HFC ( via HSBC )

from HFC's website...

Please click on the following link for information on Payment Protection Insurance - complaints handling.

PPI - complaints handling

from what you have said it sounds like BC waylaid your Dad by mentioning the CPP and a claim was made for CPP and not for the PPI. My first thought is that was because when he called about PPI they found there wasn't any ( on their records) but prompted him to claim CPP as they could see that had been paid on his account... maybe?

Have you seen any old statements to see if PPI was actually paid on the accounts?
                    #staysafestayhome

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                    Working...
                    X