• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

PPI against Car Giant

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PPI against Car Giant

Hi All, hope all members are well!

If anyone has read my other threads you will remember I have issues with claiming back under hardship grounds for my bank charges. I decided to submit a claim and just wait and see. Will keep you posted. I discovered being a compulsive gambler is classed as a illness and going down that route. I consider having an illness for 17 years. Unique claim but we will see.

I have another claim with Car Giant who sold me PPI insurance almost 3yrs ago. I never even knew I had this insurance until I started getting my finance sorted out. I have been paying an extra £41 a month ontop of my premium for my car. I checked out the paper work and there was a charge for £1420 charge for PPI. I never asked for this. Im 100% sure of this.

I sent a letter to Capital Bank/RBS disputing the insurance, they palmed me off to Car Giant claiming it wasnt them who sold it but Car Giant. I submitted a standard claim letter from MSE site.

I decided to call today to find out the status of my claim, I got some rude arrogant person who told me my claim is rejected and he cannot discuss it over the phone and he will send out a letter detailing the reasons, and this letter should also serve as the final response over the issue and then hung up on me.

I am a bit shocked because I dont remember ever taking it, I only ever got 1 statement from Capital bank and it was for final settlement of the account but nothing showed up the PPI, only after I fished out the originals I noticed it.

I did notice in your articles several car dealers have been fined for the exact reason.

Any help?

Thanks
    Stew

Re: PPI against Car Giant

Do you have the original agreement and can you scan it in. There are a few ways they sneak PPI into car finance agreements which you can use to assist you in reclaiming it if they have been a bit naughty. You can also go through FOS for PPI if this final resolution letter is as pants as it sounds.
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Hello all!

I have a few questions I need advise, I am checking through the PPI policy I have with another loan, not Car Giant and it states that in order for me to be able to claim I should be in full time employment for more than 24 months. Is this a standard term in most PPI contracts? And if I was not in employed for the full 24 months prior to signing the the agreement, is it valid?

Thanks
      Stewie

Comment

Its probably valid but missold, unless you fibbed to them and said you were employed for 24 months which I doubt......thus hence you could claim it back.
        #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Hi Amethyst,

I am checking PPI on everything I had. I cant believe how many policys I had this on!

I am waiting for the Terms to come back from Car Giant so I can post them up. I have another one with Welcome fiance and it is a joint loan with my wife. She was not in full time employ for 24 months prior to us taking the loan. This is why I have the questions. I have always been in full time employ but she hasnt. If I had to make a claim would they have honoured the agreement?

The Welcome Finance loan is a biggggggggg one and covers two loans over the past 2 yrs at £296 a month just for PPI by the looks of things without interest. The loan is at 22% so I hope I can get some of this back. If I knew it was that price a month I would never ever have agreed to it.

So I think they will be next on my list.
          Last edited by stewie082; 5th September 2008, 16:23:PM.

Comment

Hi all,

Firstly I am not allowed to cancel the GAP insurance and PPI according to Car Giant, then he changed his mind and said I can cancel my insurance policy on the vechile but I will still have to continue to pay for it. I was only entitled to cancel within 14days of the purchase of the car. Then continued to explain the importance of having GAP insurance and how fortunate I am to have it?

So basically I am paying for a policy that I cannot claim on and is cancelled and will run for the next 6 months.

Excellent!!!

I dont understand these people. Im sure I can use imcompetence as a reason to give me back my hard earned pennys!

Comment

Have you got a copy of the GAP insurnace policy? to see what the cancellation procedures entail.

You do know that this is totally different to PPI and isnt based on your income etc as is the case with PPI

Guarenteed Asset Protection Insurance

It is an insurance to cover the shortfall between what you owe on your car finance and what you recieve from your car insurance if your vehicle was to be written off

If you cancelled your car insurance policy, you would have to pay a certain percentage of the outstanding amount. You couldnt just end it and not pay anymore (have a read of LittleSally's thread on this). YOu would also have to give notice as well

So you couldnt really expect to just cancel this policy with no financial penalties.

PKea
              Last edited by Paule; 8th September 2008, 11:06:AM.

Comment

Hi Pkea,

Thanks for the feedback, I still dont think the policy is worth it. The GAP doesnt justify the cost per month.

I will stick to the PPI claim I had. I used a template letter from MSE and I didnt remove certain items. So basically my whole claim has been shot down by them as totally contradictory and rejected.

Its acctually a 5 page reply full of holes. According to them I walked into the showroom, selected the car I wanted and signed all the documents within 6 minutes, and had the finance approved. Thats pretty quick!

I wish I had come here first and posted up the original complaint!

Is there a process of re-submitting and claim or retracting certain items?

Thanks
                Stewie

Comment

Hi All,

I scanned the complaint I submitted and the reply. But seems I have run out of space

Any ideas how I can upload more information?

Thanks
                  Stewie

Comment

Thats one for Ame or Tools I would imagine, no doubt they will be along shortly

Comment

Helllo all!!

I have uploaded Gar Giants final responce to my claim. Feedback would really help. I think Ive been told off in a big way. Sorry its in so many parts.

http://i448.photobucket.com/albums/q...e/0e0c76a2.jpg
                      http://i448.photobucket.com/albums/q...e/027ab339.jpg
                      http://i448.photobucket.com/albums/q...e/c272eadb.jpg

Summary of everything...

Basically I bought the car on the 6th Jan 2006 and walked into the showroom and selected the car I wanted. After this I filled in a bunch of papers, I really didnt pay attention to anything and I was really under the impression it was all part of the loan, I had no idea this was an option that I could refuse or ask for alternative pricing. I had only been in the country for 5 months and it was the first hire purchase I had made and only my second car. I didnt have a clue how the "system" works.

I did get some faxes from Car Giant a few days after I took delivery off the vechile. You can see the dates on the fax sheets.

I was aware of added insurance but didnt know the process and it was pushed onto me like it was something I needed to have and was important. I didnt know any different. There were two sales people involved. The first gent was the Senior manager and he left half way through and was replaced by a Junior sales person.

I made the mistake of using a generic template when requesting my PPI back and I think this was a mistake as now I am being ripped apart by the argument they have put up.

I hope someone can help.
                      Thanks everyone!!

Comment

Originally posted by stewie082 View Post
                        I made the mistake of using a generic template when requesting my PPI back and I think this was a mistake as now I am being ripped apart by the argument they have put up.
                        I have to agree with this beacuse your first points relate to the knowledge when it was being sold to you, then a further point denies any knowledge of it being sold to you.

Now you have their final decision you can go to the FOS, but I'm unsure whether that would be sucessful or not, as you would have to produce all these letters and correspondance to them, you couldnt redo letters as if it was a new claim.

PKea

Comment

I kind of agree with them to, It was kind of contradictory. I used a standard template letter from another site and didnt take out some of the points. Just basically filled in my details.

I would like to give it a go, even if I loose whats the worst that can happen?

Stewie

Comment

Originally posted by stewie082 View Post
                            I would like to give it a go, even if I loose whats the worst that can happen?
                            If you go down the FOS route, nothing except your time and resources

If you go to court, your costs plus they may counterclaim against you for costs.

Comment

Hi Pkea,

I want to take this forward. I really do think I am in the right and the mistake on the initial complaint shouldnt effect the total claim.

Do you suggest I go forward to the FOS first then the courts or directly to court. The reason im asking is, I called Car Giant today and they were so rude it really got my back up.

Thanks for your advice its appreciated.

Stewie

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X