• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Full and final settlements

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Full and final settlements

Basically i would like some advice. I have about 120k of debt and have 80K of equity in my home which i am in the process of selling.

If the two creditors i owe take me to court i will have to enter an IVA and they may get 30-40% after 5 years, if i offer a fair proportion of the £80k split between them they will get 56%. Are they likely to accept based on anyones experience??

doeas anybody have experience in the best way to go about this in making an offer and what info they may request upon writing to them and making the offer. Bank statements? Valuations ect.

The property is in joint names so can only have the £80 if they persue through to making me bankrupt, and led to believe that one of them can not take a charge as this would discriminate the other creditor, is that right?

Any help apreciated
    Tags: None

Re: Full and final settlements

Originally posted by MBC View Post
    Basically i would like some advice. I have about 120k of debt and have 80K of equity in my home which i am in the process of selling.

If the two creditors i owe take me to court i will have to enter an IVA and they may get 30-40% after 5 years, if i offer a fair proportion of the £80k split between them they will get 56%. Are they likely to accept based on anyones experience??

doeas anybody have experience in the best way to go about this in making an offer and what info they may request upon writing to them and making the offer. Bank statements? Valuations ect.

The property is in joint names so can only have the £80 if they persue through to making me bankrupt, and led to believe that one of them can not take a charge as this would discriminate the other creditor, is that right?

Any help apreciated
    Hello
    If a bankruptcy petition is commence then all creditors would be notified and the receiver would dish out the estate on a pro rata basis. So it would really make no difference.
    In my opinion the best way forward is to present a third party repayment offer.
    This means that you would approach each of the creditors with the proposition that a third party will pay a full and final for you.
    This is a legal device that creates a new contract between your creditors and the party paying the bill and stops them chasing you for the balance at a later date.
    You could transfer the cash to the third party, (a relative or friend) and they would issue the payment.
    This is a very tricky area of law I will try and dig up some reading for you
    LL

Comment

Re: Full and final settlements

HI
      Sorry
      I just noticed you mentioned a charge on the property.
      This could be obtained after a court judgment (ccj), and yes you could contest the issuance of a charging order on the grounds that it would prejudice other creditors, amongst other things.
      LL

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X