• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Tucan Claims

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tucan Claims

Good and bad news.

The bad news is that apparently Tucan is in administration according to the Mirror.

http://blogs.mirror.co.uk/investigat...sed-to-be.html

I'm not sure how their obligation to process refunds under the Consent Order works while they are in administration but I've asked MOJ to clarify.

https://www.claimsregulation.gov.uk/...n%20Notice.pdf

The good news is that, according to an update on the Mirror piece posted above, police have been visiting staff and taking statements.

Comment

''Tucan is also in trouble with Companies House. It failed to file accounts due in October last year and failed to file details of its ownership, due in February this year. These are offences for which it can be heavily fined and struck off. I invited Tucan director James Ryan to comment and to say what had happened to your refund. He said nothing. But this is not quite the end of the story.

When Tucan was so busy collecting fees from customers’ credit cards, the paperwork was done for it by a Danish firm called Cyberbit. It fell out with Tucan in 2010 over complaints from Tucan customers who wanted refunds.''

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/e...#ixzz1vEzCpxXa

Comment

Thanks Exc for the update. I feel sorry for the poor people that may not get their money refunded. I just hope that the directors are NEVER allowed to run a company here in the UK ever again.

Comment

Yes that's the dilemma for the MOJ. If they stop their ability to trade by restricting their authorisation they go into liquidation and kiss their refund obligations good bye.

I've asked the MOJ if the administrators are still bound by the refund obligations of the consent order.

Comment

Originally posted by EXC View Post
            Good and bad news.

The bad news is that apparently Tucan is in administration according to the Mirror.

http://blogs.mirror.co.uk/investigat...sed-to-be.html

I'm not sure how their obligation to process refunds under the Consent Order works while they are in administration but I've asked MOJ to clarify.

https://www.claimsregulation.gov.uk/...n%20Notice.pdf

The good news is that, according to an update on the Mirror piece posted above, police have been visiting staff and taking statements.
            If that is the case, anyone owed money by Tucan should find out who the administrators are and submit their claims asap as they are classed as creditors. If the company has been wound-up by HMRC or BIS, enquiries need to be made with them. Going by the Mirror article, enquiries with the Insolvency Service might also be in order. They may be investigating Tucan and its management team and any information they receive is useful. All is not yet lost.
            Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

Originally posted by bluebottle View Post
              If that is the case, anyone owed money by Tucan should find out who the administrators are and submit their claims asap as they are classed as creditors.
              Indeed but what I want to find out is whether the consent order on refunds trumps the status of a mere creditor.

Comment

Originally posted by EXC View Post
                Indeed but what I want to find out is whether the consent order on refunds trumps the status of a mere creditor.
                If there is anything remotely dodgy about the way Tucan operated, the Official Receiver, Insolvency Service, HMRC and/or BIS are going to be involved somewhere. Speak to the MoJ who regulated Tucan. They might be able to point you in the right direction. The fact the police are taking statements from former employees of Tucan tends to suggest MoJ is the first stop, followed by the Official Receiver/Insolvency Service.

Comment

A recorded message states that customers wanting refunds should go to their credit card provider - a shameless piece of buck-passing that's no good to anyone who paid by cheque or debit card.

This is buck passing I agree and imo Tucan was shameless in every way, but if it gives some people their money back then I am all for it.
                  I personally doubt many paid by cheque, Tucan were too greedy and cunning to give people a remote chance of stopping them getting their grubby hands on the money.
                  As for debit cards if they are Visa then you an claim back but think you only have 120 days to do so.
                  What upsets me most about this is the fact we have known about them for a while as have other sites and they were still allowed to get to a stage where there may be no money to pay back people who have had their money stolen.
                  IMHO there should be a compensation scheme in place paid for by the company and by the regulators jointly and maybe then if they were in danger of losing a little money instead of making mega bucks more would be done to insure these kind of companies were vetted properly and regulated properly.

Comment

This is exactly what we are doing working on behind the scenes -

1.the CMC's should be fully bonded with insurance in place to cover these eventualities when CMC's go broke, this matter will be discussed with the MOJ at the next visit.

2 the MOJ should be making 100% proper checks on the directors of CMC's when they request for authorisation. At the moment they pay there money and have a licence to take money.Even police checks of some sort and previous company dealing. They should be squeaky clean.

3.I have always maintained and will continue to maintain that upfront mont monies are a deposit until such time as there is a valid claim and this money should be kept on a 'client' deposit account as this money is fully returnable in the event that there is no claim. There is no need for the CMC's to use this money until they have evidence that there is actually a claim and when there is not a claim the money should be returnable within 2 weeks which is reasonable. As in my case of Little Miss who recently got back £3k from Lifestyle having paid £3k some 15 months earlier, until she came to me and I helped her she was then able to request the money back, they then took 2 weeks to consider her refund and a further 26 days to get her cheque. In this case Lifestyle knew full well many months earlier there was no valid claim, they had fast tracked her into coughing uip £3k but at never at any time until she pressed them did they say that there was no claim and neither did they of their own volition offer to pay her money back.

4. and lastly, the MOJ not only get a nice fee for authorisation of a company, just for giving a rubber stamp and the authorisation to become a CMC. They on top of this take a percentage of the annual turnover of a CMC, this is what I find most difficult to comprehend as really they are partners with the CMC's as they are deriving their income from them. This is not fair to the general public as the MOJ are not neutral in this matter. The general public get duped by these CMC's with their sales pitches and as in the case of Tucan have targeted and duped many elderly people, some may not even have had any PPI or credit card charges yet Tucan still managed to weedle these pensioners out of nearly £300 a piece. This was daylight robery in my opinion the MOJ knew about it and let it run on until we hounded them from here at LB when they were suspended. I just hope that the majority will be able to get refunds back either from the company or their credit cards. The later can only be done once it is confirmed that they are in liquidation/administration and this notice will have to come from the MOJ.

Sorry to rant on, but this matter as you all know is very agrevating to me as I have witnessed first hand the sales tecniques when they phoned me initially some years ago and lied to get me to part with some money. Fortunately I did not part with any money and it has become the vein of my life and I intend to try and make sure that we secure from the MOJ on behalf of the the public a safer way forward. Even last week walking through my local shopping centre Reclaim Charges have a stand and I heard the salesman say to the lady behind me we can claim back bank charges for you.... well that rattled me and I turned round and said can you now are you sure, he said ohhhh I meant credit card charges and then he said are these not the same thing? my case rests..........

Originally posted by enaid View Post
                    A recorded message states that customers wanting refunds should go to their credit card provider - a shameless piece of buck-passing that's no good to anyone who paid by cheque or debit card.

This is buck passing I agree and imo Tucan was shameless in every way, but if it gives some people their money back then I am all for it.
                    I personally doubt many paid by cheque, Tucan were too greedy and cunning to give people a remote chance of stopping them getting their grubby hands on the money.
                    As for debit cards if they are Visa then you an claim back but think you only have 120 days to do so.
                    What upsets me most about this is the fact we have known about them for a while as have other sites and they were still allowed to get to a stage where there may be no money to pay back people who have had their money stolen.
                    IMHO there should be a compensation scheme in place paid for by the company and by the regulators jointly and maybe then if they were in danger of losing a little money instead of making mega bucks more would be done to insure these kind of companies were vetted properly and regulated properly.

Comment

Had this statement from the Compliance Unit at MOJ although they said that the situation is ''developing''.

"Tucan Claims has applied to enter administration, but they have not yet completed this process.

Their condition of authorisation still apply, but in reality they are not being carried out as all the company's assets have been frozen pending the decision of the judge as to whether the company can enter administration."

Comment

I would be gutted if these people walked away from this Scot Free I really would.

Comment

Does anyone know if the Office of the Official Receiver and the Insolvency Service are involved in Tucan's case? If so, that is good. The Insolvency Service investigate why a company has collapsed financially and whether the directors had a hand in it, whether through incompetence, gross negligence, failing to exercise due care and diligence, breach of fiduciary duty or just plain crookedness. If they find a company has collapsed due to the directors, they can hold them financially liable, which means they have to pay any creditors out of their own assets, and/or they can recommend that the directors be proceeded against with a view to a Disqualification Order being sought against them. Any criminal behaviour has to be reported to the police, SOCA or the SFO, depending upon how much money is involved.

Comment

Now gone into administration by the looks of it.

Tucan claims goes into administration

Comment

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/60165/notices/1603687/

Date: 7 June 2012
                              Issue Number: 60165
                              Page number: 10909
                              Publication Date: Thursday, 7 June 2012
                              Notice Code: 2410

Appointment of Administrators

In the High Court of Justice, Chancery Division
                              Bristol District Registry No 511 of 2012

TUCAN CLAIMS LIMITED

(Company Number 07140556)
                              Nature of Business: Other financial intermediation.
                              Registered Office of Company: Coptic House, 4-5 Mount Stuart Square, Cardiff Bay, Cardiff, CF10 5EE.
                              Principal Trading Address: 160 Aztec West, Almondsbury, Bristol, BS32 4TU

Date of Appointment: 28 May 2012.

Joint Administrators' Names and Address:

John Dean Cullen and Freddy Khalastchi (IP Nos 9214 and 8752),

both of

Harris Lipman LLP,
                              Coptic House, 4-5
                              Mount Stuart Square,
                              Cardiff Bay,
                              Cardiff,
                              CF10 5EE

Further details contact: John Dean Cullen, Email: mail@harris-lipman.co.uk, Tel: 029 2049 5444.

Comment

Well it looks like tucan are now tucant.

I just hope that all the people they scammed and now owed money for the upfront feees have now been repaid, or is that to much to ask for. Most of those people were pensioners and got sucked in.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X