• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Not sent hearing link, now I am being chased for money

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not sent hearing link, now I am being chased for money

Following a non-fault accident last year I was given a hire car (through a claims management company) whilst mine was being repaired. The other party disputed the cost of the hire car and the case ended up in court. I fully co-operated throughout. I was given a court date but each letter from the CMC started with a phrase along the lines of 'don't worry these claims almost always settle out of court'. By the date I had not heard from the CMC for 2 months and no hearing pack was received or any contact for a 'court briefing'. I did not receive the Teams link from the court either. I had been given a time of 10am.
    At 1015 I went to work - No contact for 2 months, no pre-hearing briefing, no hearing pack, no email from court.
    Shortly thereafter the case handler called home and spoke to my wife asking my whereabouts. She explained I had gone to work.
    I am now being billed by the CMC as the case was "struck out' by the judge.
    My wife was not given the opportunity to contact me at work to conduct the hearing from there. Apparently an email was sent (which they sent to me subsequently, with the correct email address and timestamp showing) containing the hearing pack, that I did not receive. No idea what happened to the court email with the hearing link.
    I say I could have been part of the hearing had they allowed my wife time to contact me at work. I fully complied throughout. Since no emails for two months before the hearing and no telephone contact and 10am had passed I assumed case settled.
    They say since no email expressly informing that case had settled I was liable for not co-operating.
    I say the terms of the agreement were that I co-operate in the case which I did.

Am I completely wrong or do I have a defence?

Thank you
    Tags: None

Hi Pete

I would gather the evidence, write a Formal Letter of Complaint, mark it as such. Follow the CMC's complaints procedure. If you are still unhappy when you get their final response. Lodge a Complaint with the Claims Management Ombudsman. There will be a 'Code of Conduct' which you can check against to see when the 'shortfalls' of service from the CMC has occurred, highlight them in your Complaint.

https://cmc.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/

EXC Can you please take a look and advise, many thanks.

Comment

Thank you, ECHAT11. That is useful and I will spend a bit of time reading up on that.

Based on the disjointed info I have provided do you think that I have not co-operated and should be liable?

Comment

Originally posted by petetanner View Post
        Thank you, ECHAT11. That is useful and I will spend a bit of time reading up on that.

Based on the disjointed info I have provided do you think that I have not co-operated and should be liable?
        If they haven't done these things 'No contact for 2 months, no pre-hearing briefing, no hearing pack, no email from court', no.

Comment

Hiya

I would take ECHAT's advice but the only potential issue is that The Financial Ombudsman Service won't accept complaints that have been or are the subject of legal action. However I would call FOS (they're usually pretty helpful) and explain the situation to see if they would take it on. I think you can argue that you're not complaining about the issues that were the subject of the court case but the service from the CMC in the lead up to the hearing. In other words it's a service issue.

Comment

Thank you to both posters for encouraging and enlightening information

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X