• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Help needed digital signature

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help needed digital signature

Does anyone have experience of this company? It is based in altrincham, Manchester and seems to be behind a facebook advertisement pba-checker. I filled in what I believed to be an enquiry (yes I know, now feeling very stupid!) Via facebook and then the company appear to have submitted a claim on my behalf which has been successful. I have received just over £2000 and I have now recieved a bill for £818 from this company. I have received nothing in writing from the company, had no communications other than a few text messages to say they had submitted my claim. I have signed nothing and to my knowledge no display of fees was supplied or information actually stating who was behind pba checker until I received texts from Legal UK Services. I would really appreciate any assistance - I have asked them to send me proof of contract and to explain the high fee. What do I do??
    Last edited by ULA; 23rd September 2020, 16:09:PM.
    Tags: None

Originally posted by Rach5162 View Post
    Does anyone have experience of this company? It is based in altrincham, Manchester and seems to be behind a facebook advertisement pba-checker. I filled in what I believed to be an enquiry (yes I know, now feeling very stupid!) Via facebook and then the company appear to have submitted a claim on my behalf which has been successful. I have received just over £2000 and I have now recieved a bill for £818 from this company. I have received nothing in writing from the company, had no communications other than a few text messages to say they had submitted my claim. I have signed nothing and to my knowledge no display of fees was supplied or information actually stating who was behind pba checker until I received texts from Legal UK Services. I would really appreciate any assistance - I have asked them to send me proof of contract and to explain the high fee. What do I do??
    Let's have a look.

They're actually not a Claims Management Company, the FCA have them listed as a solicitors, regulated by the SRA https://register.fca.org.uk/s/firm?i...0000042tLBaAAM

Looking at their site 'they' appear to be a personal injury lawyer https://www.pisupport.co.uk/

You should complain directly to them and if they don't play ball you can then go to the Legal Ombudsman.

Comment

Hi Thanks for your response. I have now recieved a copy from them of the agreement I supposedly signed, which seems to have a digital signature on. I have never seen this document and believe they have taken my signature from the facebook advert I responded to which I thought was authorising them to investigate if I might have a claim, not to sign a contract which I have not seen before. There is a glaring error on the form which says that they sent a retainer letter to me dated February 24th 2020, when I did not even contact anyone or consider any claims...it was early July. Also the contract was allegedly signed on July 3rd which is the same day that I got a text from them to say that the claim had been submitted to the bank...if they had already done the work then how could I then have 14 days to cancel with them which I should have had under FCA and distance regulations. I believe they have breached distance selling rules the same as allay have recently been pulled up for. Is there any way of sending the communication through to someone to look at to see?

Comment

Yes it does sound a lot like the Allay issue, the difference being that Legal UK Services Ltd are apparently regulated by the SRA as a solicitors which would in theory be even more heavily regulated. But I'm sure distance regulations would still apply.

By all means send what have to me at nick@legalbeaglesgroup.com

Comment

Originally posted by EXC View Post
          Yes it does sound a lot like the Allay issue, the difference being that Legal UK Services Ltd are apparently regulated by the SRA as a solicitors which would in theory be even more heavily regulated. But I'm sure distance regulations would still apply.

By all means send what have to me at nick@legalbeaglesgroup.com
          The same regs apply to solicitors too. If they have done the same as Allay did, then they will face the same problems.

If you need a hand with anything just holler.
          I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

If you need to contact me please email me on Pt@roachpittis.co.uk .

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

You can also follow my blog on consumer credit here.

Comment

Here's thier PBA claiming site for ref https://legalukservices.com/

Comment

Thank you all. I am heartened that they are solicitors as I am sure that they can answer my questions and having checked their website they seem to have a very robust complaints procedure and clear information of who to speak to, and they have been extremely prompt in responding to my emails. It may just be that I have been very foolish, but I just find it strange to end up in this situation when I have no contract myself to show for it either in digital format or writing.

Comment

but I just find it strange to end up in this situation when I have no contract myself to show for it either in digital format or writing.
                Indeed, that doesn't bode well.

Comment

Hiya

Thanks for sending the docs, very interesting.

You're right to point out to them that the Damages Based Agreement references a retainer letter sent 24 February 2020 but further on in the DBA it dates the retainer letter as 23 January 2018!

Click image for larger version

Name:	one DBA.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	17.4 KB
ID:	1547227

Name:	two DBA.JPG
Size:	16.0 KB
ID:	1547228

Also there's a bit of an anomoly over when the 14 day cancellation period starts from and what it applies to. In the Terms of Engagement it says 14 days from the date you entered into the retainer. But in the Damages Based Agreement it says 14 days from date the DBA was entered into.

Name:	three TOE.JPG
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	1547229

Name:	four DBA.JPG
Size:	14.9 KB
ID:	1547230

My advice would be not to pay them anything, certainly for the moment, as you clearly have good cause to question the validity of the contract. You've done the right thing requesting an SAR. When you get that we can draft a formal complaint. It's really important we get the complaint as bullet proof as possible as if they reject it it'll be the same complaint that you have to take to the Legal Ombudsman.

Do forward any further correspondence you get from them.

Comment

Thank you, I have had nothing further from them other than an automated text message to say that my payment is not overdue. Do I need to request the SAR in a more formal way or should my request via email be sufficient?

Comment

Now overdue that should say

Comment

Thank you, I have had nothing further from them other than an automated text message to say that my payment is not overdue. Do I need to request the SAR in a more formal way or should my request via email be sufficient?

Email is fine but I would send something like the following just in case:

Dear Sirs

You will be aware that I made a Subject Access Request to you on 22 September.

I would be grateful if you would acknowledge receipt of such and confirm that my request will be complied with in full in one calendar month.

Yours

xxx

If you're getting concerned about them pressing you for payment, add the following:

As you will also be aware I have raised genuine concerns about the validity of the contract you allege I signed. Until such time as I have had the opportunity to review the data you are due to provide in response to my Subject Access Request, it would be inappropriate to continue to request payment from me

Comment

That's great, thanks for your help

Comment

I wrote to the principal solicitor on the 3rd October following their own complaints procedure which I was directed to by one of their employees from the credit control department. I asked for a SAR in order to lodge a formal complaint. No one has contacted me or acknowledged my email. I am no longer receiving emails from credit department, however I am receiving daily texts asking for payment. Is there anything I should do now?

Comment

As you sent the original SAR on 22 September they are supposed to respond to it in one month, so if you don't get it by the end of the week you should make your formal complaint and add the lack of the SAR response to it. I'll help you draft it.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X