• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Bank Smart Breach of Contract for unwanted work performed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bank Smart Breach of Contract for unwanted work performed

Hello,

I am writing on behalf of my husband who engaged with Bank Smart in 2014 to claim potential PPI on his mortgage. Here starts the trouble and 6
    year saga. I will attempt to schedule the events as they occurred but as it was so long ago some information may not be absolutely accurate.

Timeline-

January 2014- Enquired about claim for potential PPI on mortgage with Redstone. Advised Bank Smart could assist on no win no fee basis- signed LOA.

December 2014- contact Bank Smart for update as no correspondence received in almost a year and considering going to another company. Advised that if claim is cancelled, would be subject to fees. Decided to proceed with claim.

Early 2015- bombarded with forms and requests for information for accounts other than Redstone. Ignored as did not want these pursued.

Between August 2015- June 2016- Recieved letters from Mortgage company to say no PPI was applied. Assumed case would be closed. However during this time was still being sent multiple letters requesting information for other accounts. Very stressful, very confusing (I believe this is a deliberate tactic). After receiving invoices, questioned Bank Smart what they were for. It was for not supplying information and evidence requested in relation to additional claims. Sent e-mail clearly stating this was unwanted work performed and requested phone call to "close the case". Was advised/ coerced to sign LOA's to to avoid charges. Proceeded to reluctantly sign LOA's as could not afford to pay fees- big mistake!

June 2016- started to receive invoices again for breach of contract. E-mailed Bank Smart to enquire what these charges were. Again was told for not sending in requested information although had been cooperating and sending back whatever was asked *note at this stage it was extremely confusing with the sheer volume of letters and what was required as multiple letters were sent requesting the same information, admittedly completely lost track of what was going on*. Replied and reiterated information was sent despite the fact that this was for work that was not requested and unwanted claims. E-mail ignored.

July- August 2016- Email received from Bank Smart to request proof of address so invoices of breach of contract can be cancelled. POA sent.

August- October 2016- One claim outcome successful. Invoiced for fee- 25%+ VAT. At this point had conversation with advisor that all further claims be closed once this invoice is settled. Invoice paid.

No further communication from Bank Smart.

May- June 2019- 3 years on, after believing everything had be settled, receive requests for information again. Ignored as thought to be attempt to get claim started again.

February 2020- received letter from MIL Collections for £1560 for unpaid fees to Bank Smart. Log onto Bank Smart account- fees for breach of contract!!

I have written to MIL Collections to stop contact for payment as this is disputed.

Now preparing to write formal complaint to Bank Smart on the grounds that:

1. Initial LOA and reason to engage Bank Smart was solely in relation to Redstone. All other claims pursued were unwanted and on at least two occasions explained this to Bank Smart advisors but was ignored.

2. Mislead and misadvised by advisors into signing further LOA's and reply to requests to avoid having to pay charges even after explaining this was unwanted.

I have e-mail correspondence between my husband and several advisors, however my husband is not the most articulate communicator and they are quite informal but nonetheless you can get the gist of the situation. Unfortunately, some of the conversations where he asked for claims to be cancelled/settled were over the phone and so long ago that they cannot be completely recollected.

My question is; are the grounds I am disputing on likely to uphold should this be taken to the Legal Ombudsman or court? Especially as he did end up signing LOA's albeit under pressure.

Thank you for any help in advance.

Tags: None

Hiya

I must say this is a well documented and articulate account of your husband's experience with Bank Smart and sadly typical of their MO.

My question is; are the grounds I am disputing on likely to uphold should this be taken to the Legal Ombudsman or court? Especially as he did end up signing LOA's albeit under pressure.
    We always advise a formal complaint to Bank Smart first and then the Ombudsman if necessary. The reasons are that the Ombudsman will take account of what is fair & reasonable but the courts will only look at the legal position. Clearly, telling your husband to comply with demands for information or pay up isn't fair or reasonable. Additionally if you were to take it to court first and lost you couldn't subsequently go to the Ombudsman as they won't touch cases that are or were the subject of legal proceedings, but you can do it the other way round so in effect you get 2 bites of the cherry.

In my view you have a fair shout of Bank Smart upholding a complaint directly to them and, if not, good prospects of the Ombudsman finding in your favour. In my experience it's all down to how well drafted the complaint is.

You're right about Bank Smart making things complex and confusing and I share your belief that this is a tactic. We've got a case with the Ombudsman at the moment where Bank Smart have submitted over 100 documents to support their case.

I would suggest that you draft an initial complaint and post it up so we can advise. The format you've used above is actually spot on in terms of structure - it doesn't really need to be much more complicated than that. However there are a few elements to an effective Bank Smart complaint which I can suggest you add once you've done an initial draft. Also I'd quite like to see the
    email correspondence between your husband the advisors and you could forward it to me at nick@legalbeaglesgroup.com

MIL/Bank Smart will just ignore your request to cease collection activity pending the complaints process but you shouldn't worry as in my (considerable!) experience MIL don't do anything beyond issuing snotty payment demands.

I'm not sure if you heard it but BBC Radio 4 Moneybox did a piece on Bank Smart recently that we contributed to, so you're not alone!

It's the 2nd item on the show - fast forward to about 7 minutes https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m0009z2m

Comment

Hi
      I feel for you and your husband I really do as I am going though this with this company right now.
      Everything you posted over is the same tactics they are using on me only difference is I signed a couple of piece of paperwork for PPI and that was it. Same as yourself I got nothing except a bill from the same debt collection company for £783.60. Made contact same tricks they played on you but blocked me so will now only corporate though post.
      sent me more paperwork today for a Package bank account another trick to get money out of you so be aware and sing nothing go to the Financial Ombudsman to deal with these crooks because that’s exactly what they are.
      Good luck and hope and pray these people are off your back very soon.
      paul

Comment

I first dealt with bank smart approx 25 years ago when I got a cold call saying I was due to money back from companies due to overpaid bank charges.They proceeded to send me out lots of paperwork to sign ,which I did and returned as requested.I then didnt hear anything from them for a couple of years .Until I started being inundated with forms and paperwork often 2 lots per week for a few weeks .Then I would not hear anything .At this point I began to wonder if this was all a scam as never recieved any compensation from them,so decided to cancell.This is when my troubles started .I tried to call but could never get to speak to anyone so emailed them.I heard nothing for approx 3 years then the letters started coming .I ignored them as far as I was concerned I didnt owe them anything I must have been sent over 200 letters in total often threatening each time saying I owed then thousands of pounds .I then didnt hear from them for 5 years so finally I thought it had stopped.I moved home 5 years ago then all of a sudden I started to recieve emails from them which I ignored.iv not heard anything for 6 years but today had an email saying they are taking me to court and if I dont engage it could result in a CCJ or bailiffs coming to my home the again states I owe then £662 approx .I just do not know what to do

Comment

Originally posted by Crum1961 View Post
          I first dealt with bank smart approx 25 years ago when I got a cold call saying I was due to money back from companies due to overpaid bank charges.They proceeded to send me out lots of paperwork to sign ,which I did and returned as requested.I then didnt hear anything from them for a couple of years .Until I started being inundated with forms and paperwork often 2 lots per week for a few weeks .Then I would not hear anything .At this point I began to wonder if this was all a scam as never recieved any compensation from them,so decided to cancell.This is when my troubles started .I tried to call but could never get to speak to anyone so emailed them.I heard nothing for approx 3 years then the letters started coming .I ignored them as far as I was concerned I didnt owe them anything I must have been sent over 200 letters in total often threatening each time saying I owed then thousands of pounds .I then didnt hear from them for 5 years so finally I thought it had stopped.I moved home 5 years ago then all of a sudden I started to recieve emails from them which I ignored.iv not heard anything for 6 years but today had an email saying they are taking me to court and if I dont engage it could result in a CCJ or bailiffs coming to my home the again states I owe then £662 approx .I just do not know what to do
          Can you post up the email, redacting any personal info? Or you could send it to me at nick@legalbeaglesgroup.com

Comment

i have been in a with BANK SMART on and off for three years when i thought theyhad gone away they have now sent me a letter and e mail thretening to hit me with a THIRD PARTY DEBT ORDER i never heard of this before but they state they can get the court to freezeamy bank account is this possible any help would be appreciated thanks

Comment

Originally posted by DANNYBOY62 View Post
              i have been in a with BANK SMART on and off for three years when i thought theyhad gone away they have now sent me a letter and e mail thretening to hit me with a THIRD PARTY DEBT ORDER i never heard of this before but they state they can get the court to freezeamy bank account is this possible any help would be appreciated thanks
              Hiya

Can you send them to me please - nick@legalbeaglesgroup.com

Comment

hello again following on from my origional notes BANK SMART disappered for 4 months then out the blue i had an email to say they are going to court to get aTHIRD PARTY DEBT ORDER enabling them to freeze my bank account i would not be able to pay my direct debits and also it would show on my credit reference which i have worked very hard to keep clean if they get tis order i just will nnot be able to function i am 76 years od and my wife is 72 and not well please help thank you

Comment

I understand but I'd need to see what you received from them.

Comment

....ok got it, I'll respond to you in the morning.

Comment

I had previously advised in December that your only realistic option was to try and come to an agreement on payment terms.

In the correspondence you have sent it shows that in January they offered you payment terms of £50 per month, but it appears that you've not responded since. It's really important that you avoid them applying for the Third Party Debt Order as it could involve court appearances, a lot of inconvenience and will inevitably result in you having to pay anyway.

According to their letter they are still offering you the option of the payment terms (until 3 May). I would strongly recommend that you agree to the terms, set up the standing order and provide them with proof that you have done so.

Comment

ok i will do this nick and thank you so much for being there for me and others like me your in my prayers tom

Comment

No probs and good luck.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                          Working...
                          X