• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Webbscatering v Natwest

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Webbscatering v Natwest

Hi All,

I need help trying to insert the above letters in to your template letter below can someone assist me, I have inserted as much as I can but need a little help finishing it off,

Cheers

Webby

Dear Sirs

Thank you for your letter dated 29th July 2010 in which you state you will be ''not upholding your complaint and we will not be refunding the unarranged overdraft charges to which you refer.''

You have stated that this is due to the Supreme Court Judgment ''confirming that the bank charges are not capable of amounting to penalties at common law and that the level of them cannot be assessed for fairness under the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contract Regulations.''

Whilst I recognise that this is the case and that the banks terms are unable to be assessed in terms of price under regulation 6(2)b of the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations (UTCCR), and as indicated in the Supreme Court judgment the terms are not precluded from the assessment of fairness under regulation 5(1), I still consider the overall contract including terms which allowed you to impose charges on my account to be unfair by virtue of regulation 5(1) of the UTCCR. I also consider the terms to be in breach of section 140 of the Consumer Credit Act.

Your letter also states that ''If you think that I have misunderstood anything about your complaint, or you would find it helpful to talk through my findings please do call me”. Or “ultimately, if we cannot reach an agreement then you have the right to refer your complaint to the Financial Ombudsman Service”.

Please find the details of my concerns and your misunderstandings set out below:

I consider there was an imbalance in the contract to my detriment as consumer because;
    • I consider that Natwest by virtue of the contract can choose which service they offer without consideration for or confirmation of what I intended. For example you could consider a request for overdraft and pay or simply reject payment on grounds of lack of funds. In performing these services you act as agent for the myself and therefore should have had regard to the Consumer‘s intent. The Consumer‘s intent may be for the request to be facilitated if there are sufficient funds, to be rejected if there are not or to be asked for confirmation (where practicable) otherwise. However the contract denies the Consumer the opportunity to express that or any specific intent other than that determined by the Banks.

This is evidenced by the attached charging schedule indicating all charges applied to my account
    • I consider that a request to pay is not necessarily a request for overdraft except by virtue of the non-negotiated contract terms. The overdraft assessment is not optional, additionally there was no opt out possibility at commencement of the contract and therefore it acts contrary to good faith and is therefore unfair.
    • I suggest that if an 'overdraft extension request' was declined, there is no reason why the Bank's answer for any subsequent requests should be any different if the account balance has not changed other than by virtue of the Relevant Charges being applied? The Consumer could therefore not intend subsequent payments to be requests for assessment, and it would be to their detriment for them to be regarded as such. If the fee was argued to be for checking the Consumer's account, the Banks would actually be providing the same service as they otherwise provide for free and therefore no further consideration should be required unless the circumstances are materially different.

This is evidenced by the attached charging schedule indicating all charges applied to my account.
    • It is apparent that I am required to subsidise the running and/or operation costs of accounts other than that of my own. In so doing so the Bank‘s charging structure reverses the usual pattern of cross subsidisation by delivering heavily subsidised banking services to those with the most financial competence or resources at the expense of those with the least.
    • I contend that you have control over the distribution of my salary or benefits paid into the account, and the relevant terms allow for the automatic application of the relevant Charges, with little or no notice to the Consumer.

I suggest that if an 'overdraft extension request' was declined, there is no reason why the Bank's answer for any subsequent requests should be any different if the account balance has not changed other than by virtue of the Relevant Charges being applied? The Consumer could therefore not intend subsequent payments to be requests for assessment, and it would be to their detriment for them to be regarded as such. If the fee was argued to be for checking the Consumer's account, the Banks would actually be providing the same service as they otherwise provide for free and therefore no further consideration should be required unless the circumstances are materially different.

This is evidenced by attached charging schedule indicating all charges applied to my account
    • In my experience Natwest, by virtue of the relevant contracts, have priority over my other debtors with regards to the application and payment of the relevant Charges to the Account. There is no consideration in advance of applying the charge as to whether or not the bank applies the charge.
    • Additionally, the Natwest contracts include a right of offset by which they are able to offset an unauthorised overdraft from my savings or other account. An imbalance exists in the contract as there is no equivalent equitable arrangement in favour of the Consumer. There is no contractual means by which additional funds, required to enable payment of a transaction and which would otherwise trigger relevant charges, could automatically be transferred from my savings account or other account to the relevant personal current account by the Bank.

I suggest that if an 'overdraft extension request' was declined, there is no reason why the Bank's answer for any subsequent requests should be any different if the account balance has not changed other than by virtue of the Relevant Charges being applied? The Consumer could therefore not intend subsequent payments to be requests for assessment, and it would be to their detriment for them to be regarded as such. If the fee was argued to be for checking the Consumer's account, the Banks would actually be providing the same service as they otherwise provide for free and therefore no further consideration should be required unless the circumstances are materially different.

This is evidenced by attached charging schedule indicating all charges applied to my account
    • The relevant terms have frequently forced me into a cycle of debt, where the Relevant Charges directly or indirectly give rise to the application of additional charges to the account, without any restriction or limitation.

I also consider that your bank has purposefully misled me into believing the charges were a penalty for my breaching the terms of the contract between myself and your bank. In fact your terms & conditions make no reference whatsoever to the charges relating to the provision of any 'service', which was HSBC's adopted pleaded position during the test case.

The relevant terms at the time I opened my account were;

7.2 You must always keep your current account in credit unless we have agreed an overdraft with you.

7.3 You must not go over any' overdraft limit that is agreed with us unless you get our agreement first.
    • ANY OTHER TERMS APPLICABLE TO THE PERIOD YOU HELD YOUR ACCOUNT

This belief was compounded by letters you have sent me at times when my account has incurred your charges which stated;
    • 13th February 2004 ''We will deduct £30.00 from your account to cover the cost of calling this standing order/direct debit''
    This misrepresentation appears to have been recognised by yourself in September this year when you informed customers;
    • September 2008 '' In the Terms and Conditions prior to September 2007 the above stated explanation would not have used the terminology of 'informal overdraft' they would have described the fees being incurred as default charges as the account is not running within its agreed limit. In the most recent Terms and Conditions the charges are no longer described as default charges. I apologise for any confusion cause to yourself regarding this matter''
    I feel this was unlawful under the Misrepresentation Act 1967 or, at common law, as a unilateral mistake from which your bank knowingly benefited.
    • Natwest misrepresented that the relevant terms were penal as opposed to contracting to provide services, or
    • Natwest were aware of your Customer‘s 'mistaken belief' that their relevant terms were penal but failed to correct this, to the detriment of the Consumer but to the benefit of the Banks, alternatively HSBC were aware that the relevant terms were penal in nature but realised they could argue they were in exchange for a package of services and misrepresented to the court accordingly.
    In any case, the conduct of my account has relied on the misrepresented but reasonable assumption that the relevant terms were related to costs rather than service charges and I contend that the charges should not have been part of the consideration in exchange for any so called contracted 'package' of services.

Therefore I request you continue to consider my complaint and refund charges imposed under the contract between 1994 and 2009 as previously requested.

Yours faithfully

Customer

Re: Webbscatering v Natwest

Hi Webby, and welcome to Beagles

You need an awful lot more personal information in the letter to begin with - specific instances of unfair treatment by the bank. Having read a couple of your threads elsewhere (assuming you are the same webbscatering, if not my aplogies) then I would guess there are quite a few examples you could use.

The 'template' you have posted is just a basic draft of a letter for HSBC customers trying to continue with bank claims, we have had a few, non too positive, responses to it. It needs tuning to your circumstances, Natwest and your account specifically.

Happy to help with it, but bear in mind that reclaiming bank charges is very very difficult and is likely to be a long haul.
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Hi Amethyst,

thanks for the quick response, you are probably right I am on CAG ( but not a great fan of them) and the Money Advice Site which led me to you. I have to say I thought the HSBC template is excellent and seems to cover a multitude of sins and would be a good starting point to keep the ball rolling.

My case is still stayed and as far as I know not been struck out so whilst this is the case I will continue, all letters have been posted including the POC which is the standard one found on the CAG site. I basically followed down the track of going the road on getting back my charges through hardship but as you can see by their letter its fallen on deaf ears.
      But that should not hinder anything as they are full of themselves by the smug conceited letter they sent me, which has further enraged me.
      To get down to it my claim is firstly based on charges are unlawfull and without the evidence supporting that the charges are a fair representation of their losses then give me back my money, like with everything they have deliberately mucked it up to stall the payoffs.

I have already had dealings with Natwest in the past and know the tricks they play, what they want is for you to lose interest or faith and forget it..... NOt on the occassion.

Let me know what you want to help,

Cheers

Webby

Comment

Ahhh ok.

Right first thing you should do is have a read of at least the first post on this thread Important - full Legal Opinion and update on LB's position on bank charge reclaims - Legal Beagles Consumer Forum
        my claim is firstly based on charges are unlawfull and without the evidence supporting that the charges are a fair representation of their losses then give me back my money
        I havent read CAG's template but I assume that was pre test case judgment - did you include any unfair relationship issues in that ? The hardship letters you have sent needed to be very personal to your circumstances, if you have a copy of what you have sent so far to instill that response from natwest would be a great starting point to help respond to that letter, rather than using a draft example letter.

Also check with the court that the claim is stayed still, and if so leave it there, at least until some of the legalities are sorted out through various means - theres a case in scotland awaiting trial and work the government is undertaking legistavly.

xx
        #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

Hmmm... very interesting read, so we have a couple of options one being wait for the Scottish outcome and the second is drop the whole thing in favour of a high risk of losing.

Whats the best option?

Comment

Well if you can hang fire, do..... if natwest apply to strike you out or the case has already been dismissed we can think again. And thanks for reading that, I know there was a lot to get through.

Hardship wise can go ahead though - we'd need to do a full IE sheet and know a bit more about your circumstances - the status of the account currently - that kind of thing, and then there are no guarantees either, but if you are still being charged or they took excessive charges from you account despite being aware of your circumstances - they can act to rectify the situation in the meantime.
            #staysafestayhome

Comment

Hi Amethyst,
              the account has been closed since feb 2008 but during that time my business was suffering and in December 2007 had to be declared bankrupt so their actions with accessive charging did not help my situation. After the business went it was then my financial situation was dire and that is why I persued down the road of hardship, fortunately I am employed and doing very well in my job but that is now not then when I needed the money, dont get me wrong my 2.4 family have learn't to adapt to our situation but are by no means financially flush.
              I will call the Courts on Monday to inquire wether the case is open or closed,

Many Thanks

Webby

Comment

Let me know

Of course it is easier to claim hardship if the situation is current or ongoing then the banks have more options how to abide by the lending code and bcobs, if hardship is only historical then the only option really is recompense - and most viable option is the FOS, but to be honest however unfair it may seem if you have worked your ass off to get out of hardship then you end up with a fight on your hands, so I'd stick with the leave it stayed option until the legal situation is clearer.
                #staysafestayhome

Comment

Just another warm welcome to you webbscatering as I kinda have viewed your thread OTR albeit I doubt I have ever posted on one of your threads(I could be wrong, of course).
                  "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
                  (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
                    Let me know

Of course it is easier to claim hardship if the situation is current or ongoing then the banks have more options how to abide by the lending code and bcobs, if hardship is only historical then the only option really is recompense - and most viable option is the FOS, but to be honest however unfair it may seem if you have worked your ass off to get out of hardship then you end up with a fight on your hands, so I'd stick with the leave it stayed option until the legal situation is clearer.
                    I think your right and as a matter of course will check with the courts wether the case is still there or not, but to be honest I have not come accross a case where the banks have piad back on hardship cases or I could be mistaken. The letter they sent me was a basic format letter that was massed produced in waiting for mugs like me and others, in order to pull a heart string you must possess a heart first!!.

Speak To You Soon

Webby
                    ------------------------------- merged -------------------------------
                    Originally posted by leclerc View Post
                    Just another warm welcome to you webbscatering as I kinda have viewed your thread OTR albeit I doubt I have ever posted on one of your threads(I could be wrong, of course).
                    Have you come over from CAG??

Cheers

Webby?
                    Last edited by webbscatering; 22nd August 2010, 14:09:PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by webbscatering View Post
                      I think your right and as a matter of course will check with the courts wether the case is still there or not, but to be honest I have not come accross a case where the banks have piad back on hardship cases or I could be mistaken. The letter they sent me was a basic format letter that was massed produced in waiting for mugs like me and others, in order to pull a heart string you must possess a heart first!!.

Speak To You Soon

Webby
                      ------------------------------- merged -------------------------------

Have you come over from CAG??

Cheers

Webby?
                      Banned twice, moderated numerous times and probably one of the most knowledgeable person on NatWest
                      "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
                      (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

leclerc = Natweststaffmember / Nattie / Yourbank

(just to save guessing games )

The banks have paid out numerous hardship cases although the incidence of these has reduced considerably since the judgment - since the judgement payouts have been on CURRENT hardship though rather than historical.
                        #staysafestayhome

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                        Working...
                        X