• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

What do we do next please ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do we do next please ?

Hi, this is my first post so will summarise our position briefly. We just need some advice on what to do next.

We submitted a claim with the small claims court which was issued 9/7/07. RBS didn’t acknowledge the claim within the given period allowed and therefore judgement was entered against them to pay us our claim on 1/8/07.

On 14/8/07 RBS requested the judgement be suspended pending a hearing and the claim stayed. This was granted.

We attended a court hearing and their defence was that it was an admin error on their behalf and that they failed to acknowledge the claim (wish we could all claim this every time we go overdrawn!) and that they had a real prospect of defending the claim.

The judge seemed really sympathetic to us and impressed with the work we have put in and totally humiliated their solicitor as he had come to court with no preparation or paperwork and even told us to make sure we added cost of lunch, lost working hours and parking to claim. However, due to Test Case he had to set judgement aside to the first available date after the final decision on the test case.

We have heard nothing from the court and only one letter from RBS in January 10 from their Customer Relations Services not upholding our complaint and if we didn’t like to go to the FOS.

It is my understating that our case is still ‘live’ with the court and I want to know –

1. What do we do now?
    2. On what grounds do we proceed if we have to go back to court i.e. with our original complaint that the charges are unfair OR challenging their pathetic excuse that they didn’t acknowledge our claim because of an admin error (seemed to manage to acknowledge judgement to pay us OK) Or both?
    3. If we proceed and lose will we have to pay RBS’s costs?
    4. Can we get to see the same judge or will it go to someone else?

Any advice greatly appreciated. We have no legal training but are learning fast but we feel that we are walking on thin ice and don't want to make a wrong move. Thanks

Re: What do we do next please ?

Firstly you need to forget about the default judgment and set aside situation. Thats over and dealt with and your claim is now in the same position as all the others.

If you proceed and lose yes it is quite likely you will have to pay RBS's costs.

The Judge really depends on your court, I certainly wouldnt count on the same one, or on him having the same opinions now as before.

First thing is probably check with the court if your claim is still live and nothings been struck out.

Then decide if you want to continue.

If RBS havent tried to strike you out and theres no deadline on your stay then I would hold off for a while and see how some others fair in court first.
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Re: What do we do next please ?

Thanks, I thought It was best to wait having had a look through some of the other threads posted.

Romum

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X