• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum. If this is your first visit to LegalBeagles and you need assistance then you can ask a question here;
    Create a Thread
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

NHS Clinical Negligence claim, can a person represent themselves

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • NHS Clinical Negligence claim, can a person represent themselves

    Hello - I hope everyone reading this is well and keeping safe.
    I have a friend whose mother died in March 2017, and NHS have just last month admitted liability in writing (my friend wrote to them in June 2017)* "...there was strong evidence that problems in care contributed to your mother's death" and they have apologised. They do not say anything about compensation in the letter though, and NHS Resolution website talks about claims but not how to proceed. My friend is wondering if she can represent herself, and if so, would it be appropriate to write back to the NHS hospital concerned and say something along the lines of 'I would like to seek compensation for what happened. To whom should I write?' Or is this too basic an approach? She just feels to pay a solicitor 25% on no-win-no-fee basis is too much (even though she knows it's the standard rate) given that liability has been admitted. Any pointers or suggestions greatly appreciated. She has a lot of siblings so any compensation would have to be split more than six ways, and funeral costs were a struggle for some of them. Her mother was 74, so not that old.
    Tags: None

  • #2
    I do have to agree that 25% does seem like money for old rope in a situation like this.*
    Perhaps you could avoid the no win no fee crowd and just pay a solicitor for an hour or two of advice to help you navigate and get the claim underway?
    In* theory it is perfectly feasible to self represent in a negligence case, however, a lot of the claim could be based around understanding standards and rules in elderly care. Certainly the NHS Trust responsible for your mothers care would be the correct recipient of any initial approach.
    "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

    I am proud to have co-founded LegalBeagles in 2007

    If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page


    • #3
      Thank you, Celestine. That's a good idea re solicitor *


      View our Terms and Conditions

      LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

      If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

      If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.



      Court Claim ?

      Guides and Letters

      Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

      Find a Law Firm