• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Payday lender ticked off by ASA re Text Msssage adverts (urQuickCash /Cryton Ltd)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Payday lender ticked off by ASA re Text Msssage adverts (urQuickCash /Cryton Ltd)

http://www.asa.org.uk/Rulings/Adjudi...DJ_240823.aspx

Two text messages promoted a loans service:

a. The first, received on 13 May 2013, stated "Your money is waiting to be transfered [sic] you have passed the credit check just complete the form at http://urquickcash.com to get up to £1000 transfered [sic] ASAP".

b. The second, received on 8 June 2013, stated "Hi, you have been accepted for £1000 to be transferred to your account ASAP just fill out the form at http://urquickcash.com you have passed the credit check".

Upheld

The ASA understood that Cryton Ltd controlled the website to which the messages directed recipients and had employed a third-party company to send marketing messages on their behalf. Although we accepted that Cryton Ltd might not have been directly responsible for the messages, we considered that, as the company receiving the benefit of having consumers directed to a website under their control, they had a duty to ensure that any party employed to promote that website did so in accordance with the CAP Code. We therefore considered that they were ultimately accountable for the content of the text messages.

We noted that no evidence had been supplied to demonstrate that appropriate consent to receive the text messages had been given by the complainants, or to support the claims "Your money is waiting to be transfered [sic] you have passed the credit check ... get up to £1000 transfered [sic] ASAP" and "... you have been accepted for £1000 to be transferred to your account ASAP ... you have passed the credit check". We therefore concluded that the ads had breached the Code.

The ads breached CAP Code (Edition 12) rules 3.1 (Misleading advertising), 3.7 (Substantiation) and 10.13.3 (Database practice).
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps
    Tags: None

Re: Payday lender ticked off by ASA re Text Msssage adverts (urQuickCash /Cryton Ltd)

CashEuroNet UK LLC t/a The Payday Comparison have had an informal resolution today too but not sure exactly what over - something poorly worded on their website I expect.

Also one I think I missed a couple weeks back (what with all the Wonga stuff going on ) is this http://www.asa.org.uk/Rulings/Adjudi...DJ_234761.aspx for Quick Click Loans (like log book loans) not showing their APR prominently enough.
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

Re: Payday lender ticked off by ASA re Text Msssage adverts (urQuickCash /Cryton Ltd)

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
      CashEuroNet UK LLC t/a The Payday Comparison have had an informal resolution today too but not sure exactly what over - something poorly worded on their website I expect.
      Their more familiar trading style aka as Quickquid..............

Comment

Anotherone ticked off today - ASA Adjudication on Cash On Go Ltd
        Cash On Go Ltd t/a Peachy.co.uk

http://www.asa.org.uk/Rulings/Adjudi...DJ_241860.aspx

Action

The ad should not appear again in its current form. We told Cash on Go to ensure that future ads did not imply they were the only short-term loan company offering multiple repayments and reminded them that the RAPR needed to be more prominent that the trigger information.
        #staysafestayhome

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post

Also one I think I missed a couple weeks back (what with all the Wonga stuff going on ) is this http://www.asa.org.uk/Rulings/Adjudi...DJ_234761.aspx for Quick Click Loans (like log book loans) not showing their APR prominently enough.
          I recall Wonga showing their obscene 4000%+ APR on their TV ads, but it doesn't seem to be there on the newer ads, :noidea: :confused2: and I've seen so many of them, you just can't miss them! :sad:

Could they be getting around the requirement by advertising their silly little sliders, where you see *exactly* how much you have to pay back? I shouldn't think that would serve the same function, but someone somewhere high up seems to be in bed with Wonga!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X