• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

minicredit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• minicredit

Hi there,

Just wondered where I stand with Minicredit. My situation seems to be broadly similar to others on here, but I could do with some relevant advice here. My wife took out a loan of £100 with Minicredit in January. She was charged the FastAdvance TransmissionFee of £19.50 so only received £80.50 in her account. In February, she wrote to Minicredit and offered a monthly payment plan of £30 per month and enclosed a postal order for £30. She sent a 2nd letter in March along with another postal order for £30. On return home after posting the 2nd letter, she received a letter stating that Minicredit did not accept cheques, and could she cancel the cheque. As the postal order hadn't been returned, my wife and I have no idea what has happened to the postal order. Minicredit continued to debit our account under CPA even though we had asked the bank to cancel the CPA. These payments have since been refunded to out account. I complained in March on my wifes behalf, but Minicredit basically ignored my comments and wrote to my wife offering her payment plans. I wrote again in May and they ignored my letter, stating that the account was being passed to OPOS wih a balnce of £844. Since then, we have had nothing but harrasement by OPOS.
    Since the period has elapsed, I escalated the complaint to FOS, but based on the information they received from Minicredit, they 'reduced' the balance from £844 down to £382. FOS accepted this despite my comments about th postal orders and the fact that the statement sent by Minicredit was inomplete. I am getting nowhere with FOS and the postal orders still have not been applied to the account.

I have also since discovered that a default has been placed on my wifes credit file in May, despite me raising complaints with them in March and May. The default is for £418 despite the loan amount being credited to my wifes account being only £80.50. Minicredit have not applied the postal orders to my wifes acccount or returned them to her. I just wondered where I go from here. I can post the transcript that Minicredit have sent to FOS if need be. Many thanks.
    Tags: None

Re: minicredit

Davy
    I think you have posted this on another forum as well. No problem and welcome to LB.
    Minicredit are an absolute pain as I know only too well. The only saving grace is that they are acting so badly I can not see them ever taking legal action (just my opinion)
    I think you have two options, keep paying at £30 per month until you have paid the amount you originally owed, keep a copy of every P.O. and send signed for keeping copies of receipt. Once paid just stop and leave it, should they then try court action you have a defence
    The other which is what I did was to say go away until you play ball. Not heard from them in over a year

Hope that helps

Comment

Many thanks Jon. Yes I have posted this on another forum. Just thought this site may have opinions from a different angle. We have started using Christians Against Poverty, who have made pro-rata offers to all creditors. Obviously that gives all payments traceability. I have asked FOS to re-open the complaint, which they had closed. My main objective (apart from paying what I genuinely owe them) is to get the default removed from my wifes credit file as this was placed without any formal default notice being issued.

Comment

It isn't a problem posting somewhere else, after all I am on that forum as well

I think, but I stand to be corrected that they do not need to issue a formal S87 DN prior to placing a default on the file.

I have heard of Christians against poverty . If you want to pay what you owe just keep paying them until you have payed off what you know you owe then stop. Should you get any other letters come back. I hope that is some help.

Comment

Many thanks Jon. The question is open to anyone else listening... Does a creditor have to issue a formal S87 DN before placing a default on a credit file? Bearing in mind, that I had already complained about certain issues before the default date, and had also tried to negotiate a payment plan.

Comment

Every non priority creditor agreed to my repayment plan when I sent an income/expenditure form. This is with the exception of Mini Credit. I contacted the OFT and they asked me to send in all correspondence I had received from them. The lady I was dealing with from the OFT was shocked by some of their tactics. The OFT asked me to sign papers agreeing I gave permission for them to investigate.
            I am chased by Opos now. This is for a £100 loan, less £19.50 for faster payment. They claim I owe them £1000. I have offered repayment plans but they all have been rejected. I am ill with depression. (I still work full time and look after my family) For the moment I am ignoring Opos.

Comment

Originally posted by singlemom View Post
              Every non priority creditor agreed to my repayment plan when I sent an income/expenditure form. This is with the exception of Mini Credit. I contacted the OFT and they asked me to send in all correspondence I had received from them. The lady I was dealing with from the OFT was shocked by some of their tactics. The OFT asked me to sign papers agreeing I gave permission for them to investigate.
              I am chased by Opos now. This is for a £100 loan, less £19.50 for faster payment. They claim I owe them £1000. I have offered repayment plans but they all have been rejected. I am ill with depression. (I still work full time and look after my family) For the moment I am ignoring Opos.
              It is highly unlikely they would take this to court, they would find it very hard to justify the escalation from £100 to £1000 in front of a judge. :incourt:

Comment

I have some experience with these idiots and I think it says something they are not displaying any membership of any trade organisation.

I always suggest a formal complaint to them which , as they are stupid , you can probably escalate to the fos

Comment

Originally posted by singlemom View Post
                  If you are being treated for a mental health condition, then ask CAP if they can fill in the MALG forms. It is unlikely you'd be successful dealing with this company, and the fact you're still working full time, but it is worth a stamp or two.

Also what you are clearly entering with CAP, as it's 98% of their debt work, is a DMP. As repayments are worked out pro rata, to pay Mini Credit more than any other creditor would be giving them preferential treatment and jeopardising the entire DMP. IMO you should pay them only what is offered in the DMP and let them take legal action if they see fit to do so.

I'm a little surprised CAP have not tried to get the interest frozen - that is something you should ask about. They are usually very good, so it may be that you've just not mentioned it.

Comment

Thank you! Feel a bit better now. The frustrating thing is I have offered so many times to start repaying. Every offer is rejected! Also, every non priority credit automatically accepted my offer. (I sent income/expenditure form in) I have had to block Opos from my email address. I told them I want everything in writing.

Comment

£100 to £1000..that's truly shocking....!!!!

Comment

Hi singlemom,

Can I suggest you unblock them from your email address. If they are sending you loads of emails, there is a chance you could do them for harrassment. Have a little read of this:

http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...772#post369772

Their emails might end up paying the debt for you!

Also, emails counts as being contacted in writing, but there is a difference between contact and harrassment, it depends just how frequently these emails were being sent.

Comment

You could of course say that the inbox is shared and as such any information sent there is not secure. As labman says , not sure what happens to your emails that you have blocked but can you set up a rule that lets all emails from minicredit go to a certain folder. That way you have a record

Comment

Thank you everyone for your advice. I just feel frustrated that they refuse to negotiate. Also the OFT asked me to send all the correspondence I have received from them. They were seriously concerned about some of the wording on the emails and letters. The OFT sent me a letter to sign. However, that was several weeks ago. I know Minicredit have had dealings with the OFT in the past.
                            I am just going to try and enjoy my weekend! I just feel it is so sad how people behave! :doggieyes:

Comment

If the OFT want details that is very good news as it means they are actively investigating. Normally the OFT just send a generic response.

Lets hope it's goodnight minicredit

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X