• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

bridging loan with high interest and no consumer credit licence

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bridging loan with high interest and no consumer credit licence

I am a 57 year old single mother. I have 2 children aged 25 & 18. I work as a nurse. I have worked hard all my life and, at this time, owned 2 buy to let properties, as well as my main residence.
    In 2007 I sent my son to a private school and applied for a bursary, I failed to disclose that I owned two properties. In 2008, the school became aware of this non-disclosure and demanded repayment of the bursary, this resulted in a judgement against myself for approximately £78000. I was unable to pay this, so the school obtained charges against all 3 of my properties and attempted to repossess the most valuable one. I was unable to secure finance from main stream lenders, due to a poor credit rating, as I had been undergoing financial difficulties. In December 2009 I was introduced to a Commercial Finance Broker, who informed me he could arrange a bridging loan for £95000, secured across all three of my properties, for a period of three months to pay the school off. He informed me during the three months of the bridging loan, he would arrange alternative finance to clear the bridging loan, which was accruing interest at 4% per month. This finance was not forthcoming and I was not contacted by The Lender for a period of approximately 12 months, during which time the interest continued to accrue. The interest on loan is £3800 per month. My income at the time (including rental income) was around £3000 per monthThe loan was sold as a commercial loan, so it falls outside of any protection offered by The Consumer Credit Act, however it was secured against my home as well as my buy to let properties. The Lender is based in The British Virgin Islands. I signed a form saying I had received Independent Legal Advice regarding the implications of the loan being outside of The Consumer Credit Act; however, I do not feel this was properly explained to me by The solicitor I used (who I was introduced to by the Commercial Finance Broker).One of my representatives wrote to the FCA, and it was suggested that their interpretation was that as the loan was secured against my home. It should have been regulated. 5 years on, The Bridging Lender has already repossessed one of my properties, £29800 of the proceeds were paid in refurbishment, so this just paid some of the interest, the £95000, continues to accrue interest at £3800 per month. The debt currently stands at around £275000. I have spent thousands on legal advice, which has been fruitless. I believe I should never have been sold the loan, my various representatives have approached the FCA and the OFT to no avail and I have been denied permission to appeal. I stand to lose everything I have worked so hard for, I have no way of paying back my mortgage when I retire and I have no idea how to fight this lender, who seems intent on letting the debt build and taking everything own. Can anyone help me?

I know I had made a mistake in the begining and I have regretted alot all thease years I need to come out of this problem asap I cant rest untill this is sorted out pl help
    Tags: None

Re: bridging loan with high interest and no consumer credit licence

Originally posted by sada View Post
    I have been denied permission to appeal.
    Denied permission by whom? If this is denied permission to appeal a court judgment, can you say exactly what the judgment was?

You currently own two properties, one a BTL? How much equity do you have in these? Do you have other debts as well, if so roughly how much?

Comment

I am a 57 year old single mother. I have 2 children aged 25 & 18. I work as a nurse. I have worked hard all my life and, at this time, owned 2 buy to let properties, as well as my main residence.
      In 2007 I sent my son to a private school and applied for a bursary, I failed to disclose that I owned two properties. In 2008, the school became aware of this non-disclosure and demanded repayment of the bursary, this resulted in a judgement against myself for approximately £78000. I was unable to pay this, so the school obtained charges against all 3 of my properties and attempted to repossess the most valuable one. I was unable to secure finance from main stream lenders, due to a poor credit rating, as I had been undergoing financial difficulties. In December 2009 I was introduced to a Commercial Finance Broker, who informed me he could arrange a bridging loan for £95000, secured across all three of my properties, for a period of three months to pay the school off. He informed me during the three months of the bridging loan, he would arrange alternative finance to clear the bridging loan, which was accruing interest at 4% per month. This finance was not forthcoming and I was not contacted by The Lender for a period of approximately 12 months, during which time the interest continued to accrue. The interest on loan is £3800 per month. My income at the time (including rental income) was around £3000 per monthThe loan was sold as a commercial loan, so it falls outside of any protection offered by The Consumer Credit Act, however it was secured against my home as well as my buy to let properties. The Lender is based in The British Virgin Islands. I signed a form saying I had received Independent Legal Advice regarding the implications of the loan being outside of The Consumer Credit Act; however, I do not feel this was properly explained to me by The solicitor I used (who I was introduced to by the Commercial Finance Broker).One of my representatives wrote to the FCA, and it was suggested that their interpretation was that as the loan was secured against my home. It should have been regulated. 5 years on, The Bridging Lender has already repossessed one of my properties, £29800 of the proceeds were paid in refurbishment, so this just paid some of the interest, the £95000, continues to accrue interest at £3800 per month. The debt currently stands at around £275000. I have spent thousands on legal advice, which has been fruitless. I believe I should never have been sold the loan, my various representatives have approached the FCA and the OFT to no avail and I have been denied permission to appeal. I stand to lose everything I have worked so hard for, I have no way of paying back my mortgage when I retire and I have no idea how to fight this lender, who seems intent on letting the debt build and taking everything own. Can anyone help me?

I know I had made a mistake in the begining and I have regretted alot all thease years I need to come out of this problem asap I cant rest untill this is sorted out pl help
      OK now this is a mountain sized heap of sh*t you have found yourself in... OK... I take it you have the original agreement for this bridging loan? Good! Please scan and print it and get a black marker on the copy over your name, address, personal details, and any identifying info (eg account number). Next upload a copy please and we cannot promise miracles but a problem shared is a problem halved and you have a lot of good brains rattling about here.... :tongue2:

Comment

You are still covered by unfair consumer contract regulations and other safeguards so they can't stick you with any old contract....

Comment

Even if its a commercial loan I think your acting as a consumer in this instance?

Comment

Looks all out side CCA '74 to me M1 just on the amounts involved, may be wrong and I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

nem

Comment

Hi Thank you for your reply I did have 2 btl properties they have repossessed 1 of them now has final charging order on the 2nd property they want to go to court to get possession order to sell I live in another proptey with 2 children the amout now owed is around £270 with daily interest I have equity from both properties for about £300 thousand the amout originaly borrowed was £95thousand I dont mind paying this amount and a fair interest but not 4 times what I borrowed pl help me I have been refused appeal just wondering if theres anything I can do the FCA dosent seem to be doining anything and the court knows the loan company dident have consumer credit licence and even though the loan was to pay school fees the agreement says commercial loan and the court is ok about this I have spent so much money on lawyers and barristers not sure what to do?

Comment

Hi thank you for your post are you able to help me? its not a commercial loan it was to pay school fees but the loan agreement says commercial loan the court is ok with this I'm the one who borrowed the money
                Hi is there any one I can go to reg unfair consumer regulations

Comment

Thank you so much very kind of you I will forward this to you tomorrow
                  Take care is it not too late?
                  I have a judgment agaist me with charging orders do you feel we can still do somthing about it ?this has been going on from march 2010 judgment was given by a county court in 2013

Comment

Hi sada, I've been away today so unable to answer earlier.

Looking back it seems you signed an agreement for a " commercial " loan not an agreement regulated b CCA 1974, I cannot see that the fact the loan was used for school fees is going to have any merit.
                    As M1 said earlier I do not see that you have the benefit of protection under the act.

I have formed the opinion that you need to seek qualified advice the sums involved here are in my opinion to large to be dealt with on an open forum.

nem

Comment

Hi I have taken leagle advise the barrister says to sell the houses and give them the money just wondering the interest seems so high is there anything I can do?

Comment

Originally posted by Mineral1 View Post
                        OK now this is a mountain sized heap of sh*t you have found yourself in... OK... I take it you have the original agreement for this bridging loan? Good! Please scan and print it and get a black marker on the copy over your name, address, personal details, and any identifying info (eg account number). Next upload a copy please and we cannot promise miracles but a problem shared is a problem halved and you have a lot of good brains rattling about here.... :tongue2:
                        Hi im trying to send a private message to you pl can you send me your email ad
                        Attached Files

Comment

Hi I'm trying to scan and send you the loan agreement pl can you send me a private message with your email ad pl many thanks

Comment

Hi I have attached loan agreement pl help sada

Comment

Hi im trying to send a private message to you pl can you send me your email ad
                              Hi I havent heard from you are you ok?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X