• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Loan to sibling

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loan to sibling

Hello everyone,

My sibling and I own what was the family home, recently gifted by a parent.

The house is on the market, but no offers received. My sibling would like to realise their share of the property.

I live overseas and would have substantial stamp duty liability if I bought their share.

I want to lend my sibling an amount equivalent to what we consider a fair value for their share, free of interest, to be paid back upon the sale of the house.

If I ever moved back to the UK, I would consider buying their share for the borrowed amount to close the matter. In the meantime, we are happy to sell to a third party if one appears.

With the sums involved, and to protect dependents, we would like to formalise the arrangement.

What would be the most suitable instrument to use? I have been thinking about a promissory note, payable on demand, with their share of the house as collateral. Is this appropriate to the situation?

Any advice is gratefully received.
    Tags: None

You really should be taking appropriate professional advice.
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Hello atticus,

Thank you for the reply, and well-noted. I am sure this matter will eventually involve professional advice.

I firmly believe that people make well-informed decisions after considering a range of opinions. However, with no pre-existing dealings with a UK-based solicitor, I am somewhat at the mercy of the name I pick out of the proverbial phone book giving me the most appropriate advice.

By posting here, I had hoped to garner some opinions on the pros and cons of the various options. That said, I apologise if I've misunderstood the remit of these forums, and I am happy to remove the thread if it is inappropriate or rephrase it more appropriately.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X