• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Tuttsi V Halifax ( 18 year claim )

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Tuttsi V Halifax ( 18 year claim )

Very good Tanz

OK Tuttsi, I have incorporated Tanz's bit into the letter.
    I like Smasher's theory but feel we need to tweak the idea a bit before going to print with it.
    It is always difficult to relate income to profit !!!!
    I suggest we leave Smasher's idea out and work on it for use in future paperwork.

Here's an updated draft which I think would be OK for you to use.

Dear Halifax,

Thank you for your letter dated xx/xx/xxxx in which you agree my financial hardship situation and offer me a full refund, without liability, of £28 in respect of the single default charge applied within the last 6 years.

I note your comments regarding the remainder of the default charges in that they were applied to my account pre six years and that you consider that this part of my claim to be time barred under the Limitation Act 1980.

However, I am fully aware that the Limitation Act 1980 makes reference, under Section 32, to the fact that the period of limitation shall not begin to run until the Claimant has discovered the fraud, concealment or mistake ( as the case may be ) or could with reasonable diligence have discovered it.

As stated in my letter, dated xx/xx/xxxx, I believe that every single default charge applied to my account since 1990 is an unlawful penalty charge. I did not become aware of this until the Office of Fair Trading published the report “Calculating fair default charges in credit card contracts” in April 2006. The report states that the principals covered have wider implications for analogous standard default terms in other agreements including those for mortgages, current bank accounts and storecards.

Additionally, it has taken a High Court test case between the Office of Fair Trading and several High Street Banks, including yourselves, to investigate the complexities of your charging regime as applied to personal current accounts. Taking this into account I submit that it is highly unlikely that a Litigant in Person might have been expected to fully identify that the terms dictating such default charges were also able to be assessed for fairness under the UTCCR 1999 as was ruled by Justice Smith in his initial judgment in April 2008.

In your response you state that you “are satisfied that these default charges have been correctly applied” It therefore appears that are electing to present these charges as if they were a legitimate loss or cost following the breaches of contract to which they relate. However, you fail to provide a breakdown of these charges or explain how they relate to your actual costs. Since opening my account you have been in the privileged position of being able to withdraw monies in respect of these default charges and I believe I am entitled to know whether they actually represent a justifiable business cost. I believe that your failure to disclose the true costs is sufficient evidence that you have been acting without true accountability to your Customer and are therefore consciously concealing the true nature of these default penalty charges, ie, that you have exercised the contractual terms in respect of default charges with a view to profit.

I therefore believe that section s.32 (1)(b) of the Limitation Act 1980 is applicable to my claim on the grounds that I could not reasonably have discovered your deliberate concealment of the facts relevant to my right of action before referenced OFT report was published in April 2006, or alternatively, that s.32 (1)(c) of the Limitation Act 1980 is applicable to my claim on the grounds that the payments were conceded on the mistaken belief that the said charges and interest thereon did not amount to penalties and that I could not reasonably have discovered the said mistakes before the OFT report was published in April 2006.

I therefore respectfully request that you reconsider your current position regarding the pre six year default charges applied to my account and amend your "without liability" offer accordingly.

Yours sincerely Tuttsi

Comment

Nicely re-worded Bud. I prefer yours to mine lol.

Comment

I think with some further research and careful wording of Smasher's argument.
        combined with some authorities and case law ( some of which you have alreay suggested ) we can put together a pretty conclusive argument against the Banks use of the Limitation Act.

Will check if we already have another thread we can copy some of this stuff across to so we can continue the work.

Main thing is I think Tuttsi is ready to go.

Will be interesting to see what happens.

Budgie

Comment

Yep its looking good Tutts.

Post us a link if you start a new thread Bud and will do some digging around my files for stuff to add to it for discussion.

Comment

Originally posted by TANZARELLI View Post
            Yep its looking good Tutts.

Post us a link if you start a new thread Bud and will do some digging around my files for stuff to add to it for discussion.
            Just hopping onboard this thread for a plea for help. I have made a six year claim from the halifax and got all charges back. I now intend to try to get back further charges. I now have 26 years of paperwork relating to my account. I have tried to decipher which are charges and which are transactions.........not easy because the codes they use to identify transactions have changed over that period. There was a period where a sum of £12 was taken every few days (I think that was a charge). Does anybody know the codes used by the Halifax 20+ years ago. I have the codes they use now and back 12 years.

Please answer on my thread if you know@ http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...read.php?t=595
            Borrow money from a pessimist -- they don't expect it back.

Comment

Originally posted by Budgie View Post
              I think with some further research and careful wording of Smasher's argument.
              combined with some authorities and case law ( some of which you have alreay suggested ) we can put together a pretty conclusive argument against the Banks use of the Limitation Act.

Will check if we already have another thread we can copy some of this stuff across to so we can continue the work.

Main thing is I think Tuttsi is ready to go.

Will be interesting to see what happens.

Budgie
              Thanks both Budgie and Tanz for your amazing input. I am just about to copy it on to a letterhead and whip it in the post by recorded delivery.

I really appreciate all your help as I am lost on this stuff. I just hope that my claim will help others as well with the information that has now come to light.

Well done guys

xxxxx

Comment

Edited by Budgie - Simpler than quoting everything - answers - suggestions etc in red

Letter is almost ready to go, having changed the I's to we etc.

There is just one word we am not sure about " conceded" should that be concealed! conceded is the correct word

Also, should we bring up again the question of interest! and do we give them a time scale before legal action is commenced! Have added bit from your previous letter ( regarding the amount of your claim ) at the end of your updated letter below and also added a bit re timescales and commencing legal proceedings

THANKYOU XX

Thank you for your letter dated 16th September 2008 in which you have agree our financial hardship circumstances and have offered a payment of £28 without admission of liability, in respect of the single default charge applied to the account within the last 6 years.

We note your comments regarding the remainder of the default charges in that they were applied to our account pre six years and that you consider that this part of our claim to be time barred under the Limitation Act 1980.

However, we are fully aware that the Limitation Act 1980 makes reference, under Section 32, to the fact that the period of limitation shall not begin to run until the Claimant has discovered the fraud, concealment or mistake ( as the case may be ) or could with reasonable diligence have discovered it.

As stated in our letter dated 14th August 2008, we believe that every single default charge applied to our account since 1990 is an unlawful penalty charge. We did not become aware of this until the Office of Fair Trading published the report "Calculating fair default charges in credit card contracts" in April 2006. The report states that the principals covered have wider implications for analogous standard default terms in other agreements including those for mortgages, current bank accounts and store cards. …….page 2

Page 2

Additionally, it has taken a High Court test case between the Office of Fair Trading and several High Street Banks, including yourselves, to investigate the complexities of your charging regime as applied to current accounts. Taking this into account we submit that it is highly unlikely that a litigant in person might have been expected to fully identify that the terms dictating such default charges were also able to be assessed for fairness under the UTCCR 1999 as was ruled by Justice Smith in his initial judgment in April 2008.

In your response you state that you "are satisfied that these default charges have been correctly applied" It therefore appears that you are electing to present these charges as if they were a legitimate loss or cost following the breaches of contract to which they relate. However, you fail to provide a breakdown of these charges or explain how they relate to your actual costs. Since opening our account you have been in the privileged position of being able to withdraw monies in respect of these default charges and we believe we that we are entitled to know whether they actually represent a justifiable business cost. We believe that your failure to disclose the true costs is sufficient evidence that you have been acting without true accountability to your Customer and are therefore consciously concealing the true nature of these default penalty charges, ie, that you have exercised the contractual terms in respect of default charges with a view to profit.

We therefore believe that section s.32 (1)(b) of the Limitation Act 1980 is applicable to our claim on the grounds that we could not reasonably have discovered your deliberate concealment of the facts relevant to our right of action before referenced OFT report was published in April 2006, or alternatively, that s.32 (1)(c) of the Limitation Act 1980 is applicable to our claim on the grounds that the payments were conceded on the mistaken belief that the said charges and interest thereon did not amount to penalties and that we could not reasonably have discovered the said mistakes before the OFT report was published in April 2006.

We therefore respectfully request that you reconsider your current position regarding the pre six year default charges applied to our account and amend your "without liability" offer accordingly. For the avoidance doubt
                we calculate that you have taken £2281.50 in charges and additionally we believe that you should pay interest on these charges by way of compensation. We calculate this interest to be a total of £1993.49. We therefore require you to repay a total of £4274.99 as detailed in the spreadsheet attached with our original letter dated 14th August 2008.

We look forward to hearing from you within 14 days. Should you fail to respond within this period we wish to advise you that we intend to commence legal proceedings without further warning or delay.
                Last edited by TUTTSI; 23rd September 2008, 12:14:PM.

Comment

No probs Tutts, get yourself down that PO lol.

Comment

Just received this letter from Halifax - how do I respond!!

HALIFAX
                    xxxxxx Halifax
                    Customer Relations PO Box 548
                    30th September 2008 Leeds
                    LS1 1WU
                    Mr x & Mrs x Tuttsi

Our reference xxxxxxx
                    Roll Number: xxxxxxxxxx
                    Dear Mr & Mrs Tuttsi
                    Thank you for your recent letter.
                    As stated in our previous correspondence, we note that you have requested charges dating back to 1990. The Limitation Act 1980 states that an action founded on simple contract shall not be brought after the expiration of six years from the date on which the cause of action accrued. Halifax considers that a portion of the time period which you have claimed for is statute barred as it is a claim for charges which may have been incurred prior to the 6 year time period from the date you made your complaint. However, if you have evidence to the contrary in regards to charges incurred in the past 6 years we will be more than willing to look at this again on receipt of this evidence.
                    You referred to The Office of Fair Trading statement on credit card charges. As the statement did not apply to bank account charges, I can't comment on it in connection with your complaint.
                    You have requested information on how we calculate our costs for dealing with these transactions. Please note that we are not obliged under the Data Protection Act to supply this information, and as it is commercially sensitive, I regret to inform you that I am unable to comply with your request.
                    I have enclosed another acceptance form, should you wish to accept the offer of £28.00 made in our previous letter please complete and return this form to us.
                    Yours sincerely
                    Tom Setterfield
                    Customer Relations Manager
                    Customer Relations
                    Halifax is a division of Bank of Scotland pic. Registered in Scotland No. SC327000. Registered Office: The Mound, Edinburgh, EH1 1YZ. Authorised and Regulated by the Financial Services Authority.

Comment

Time to file the claim at Court Tuttsi.

It will be a very interesting one because it combines a harship claim with arguments against the limitation act.

Lets see what everyone else has to say. But I suggest we start working on a really good POC for you.

Budgie

Comment

Originally posted by Budgie View Post
                        Time to file the claim at Court Tuttsi.

It will be a very interesting one because it combines a harship claim with arguments against the limitation act.

Lets see what everyone else has to say. But I suggest we start working on a really good POC for you.

Budgie
                        Thanks Budgie

Should we write one more letter putting them on notice that I will be taking them to court! or do we just do it.....

xx

Comment

The Limitation Act 1980 also provides that

14A Special time limit for negligence actions where facts relevant to cause
                          of action are not known at date of accrual

(5) For the purposes of this section, the starting date for reckoning the
                          period of limitation under subsection (4)(b) above is the earliest
                          date on which the plaintiff or any person in whom the cause of
                          action was vested before him first had both the knowledge required
                          for bringing an action for damages in respect of the relevant
                          damage and a right to bring such an action.
                          (6) In subsection (5) above "the knowledge required for bringing an
                          action for damages in respect of the relevant damage" means
                          knowledge both--
                          (a) of the material facts about the damage in respect of
                          which damages are claimed; and
                          (b) of the other facts relevant to the current action
                          mentioned in subsection (8) below.
                          (7) For the purposes of subsection (6)(a) above, the material facts
                          about the damage are such facts about the damage as would lead a
                          reasonable person who had suffered such damage to consider it
                          sufficiently serious to justify his instituting proceedings for
                          damages against a defendant who did not dispute liability and was
                          able to satisfy a judgment.

..................................and

(10) For the purposes of this section a person's knowledge includes
                          knowledge which he might reasonably have been expected to
                          acquire--
                          (a) from facts observable or ascertainable by him; or
                          (b) from facts ascertainable by him with the help of
                          appropriate expert advice which it is reasonable for him
                          to seek;
                          but a person shall not be taken by virtue of this subsection to have
                          knowledge of a fact ascertainable only with the help of expert
                          advice so long as he has taken all reasonable steps to obtain (and,
                          where appropriate, to act on) that advice.
                          Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

The last letter you sent was your LBA.

By the time we have POC prepared and a strategy devised the 14 days will have passed anyway.

I would recommend just cutting out the ping pong letters now and going straight for the jugular.

We have loads of material to use for the limitation act arguments, they have already admitted your hardship situation so there is a good chance we can get this into court and possibly avoid a stay. The hearing would be very very interesting !!

Bugdie
                            Last edited by Budgie; 2nd October 2008, 18:10:PM.

Comment

Hi Budgie

Any news on the POC and have you spoken with TB!

Thanks
                              xx

Comment

I have drafted an outline but still need to speak to Tom.

I will try and catch him tomorrow Tuttsi.

Rgds Budgie

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X