• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Santander Help Required

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Santander Help Required

Hi all,

Can anyone advise me on this situaution please?

My Father has an account with Santander, yesterday he received a letter from their Fraud dept asking him to contact them. They told him that someone had tried to pay for £800 worth of plane tickets on his account. They thought there was something odd about it and have cancelled his card. All well and good so far.

My Dad asked if he could still access his money, they told him that if he went into his local branch he would still be able to draw money out there, the only problem is my Dad is 82 years old, disabled and not at all well at the moment and there is no way he could get there. They then informed him if he gave me a letter explaining all this and signed it, then I could go into the branch and draw the funds on his behalf. This we did, but the branch are saying that this isn't good enough and won't let me draw the money out for him.

Went back to my Dads and phoned the fraud department again and now they are saying there is nothing they can do!! So the situation is my Dad has no money and won't be able to access his account for up to 2 weeks. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how we can make Santander see sense please?
    Tags: None

Re: Santander Help Required

It's not just Santander, we had the same problem accessing my dad's money when he was in hospital. We had to fill in a form giving one of us the right to access his account. Once completed it was taken into any branch of Nat West and all was well. Up until that point, the only way my dad could access money was if one of us gave it to him.

Comment

Originally posted by Caspar View Post
      It's not just Santander, we had the same problem accessing my dad's money when he was in hospital. We had to fill in a form giving one of us the right to access his account. Once completed it was taken into any branch of Nat West and all was well. Up until that point, the only way my dad could access money was if one of us gave it to him.

Thanks for the reply Caspar and sorry to hear about the problems you had. Santander have said the only way round it is to make it a joint account in both our names.

I've just had a thought though, my Dad should be able to transfer money by internet banking to my account and then I can draw it out for him that way hopefully. Worth a try anyway.

Comment

I can see no reason why that wouldn't work. Just bear in mind that if you don't bank with the same bank, then a transfer can take a few days to clear, which is equally ridiculous!

Comment

Luckily we're both with Santander, so like you say, shouldn't be a problem.

Comment

Hi Mrs James,
            You may consider a LPA (Lasting Power of Attorney) myself and my sister have just done one jointly with our dad. Now we can access his bank and also deal with other financial stuff on his behalf ie Tax and DWP, just a thought for if not now the near future.
            Enaid x

Comment

Hi Enaid,

Thank you so much for the advice, I think it's something that needs to be looked into.

Thanks again x

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs James View Post
                Hi Enaid,

Thank you so much for the advice, I think it's something that needs to be looked into.

Thanks again x
                My pleasure and if you need any help with it just shout.

Comment

Thanks Enaid, I may well be shouting. Lol

Comment

Have contacted Nationwide head office and will await a response to something I have said to them which might resolve this issue in the short term while the card is arriving.
                    "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
                    (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

Thank you so much leclerc x

Comment

Just to update you on this.

My Dad eventually received his new card and PIN after two weeks, since then he's had problems accessing his online banking. after numerous phone calls and complaints I decided enough was enough and on Monday emailed Santander's CEO.

On Tuesday Dad received a phone call from the Executive Complaints Team, who apologised and placed money in his account by way of compensation. Today, he's received a very large hamper full of goodies and a card apologising again.

So thanks to all who offered advice, you're stars x

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs James View Post
                          Just to update you on this.

My Dad eventually received his new card and PIN after two weeks, since then he's had problems accessing his online banking. after numerous phone calls and complaints I decided enough was enough and on Monday emailed Santander's CEO.

On Tuesday Dad received a phone call from the Executive Complaints Team, who apologised and placed money in his account by way of compensation. Today, he's received a very large hamper full of goodies and a card apologising again.

So thanks to all who offered advice, you're stars x
                          glad this was sorted out for you. I did receive a response from Nationwide btw however having double checked this thread realised it was Santander and felt like a wally to post up a response from Nationwide which had nothing to do with this( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2QZprRgxDc view this one from around 54 seconds onwards :o ). Furthermore at the time I received it, I think time had passed where he should have received an adequate response.
                          Good to see that they responded quickly to your email.
                          "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
                          (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

The fact is though they can give as much money, flowers, chocs and hampers as they desire, truth is though they are still a shocking bank imho.

Comment

Originally posted by leclerc View Post
                              glad this was sorted out for you. I did receive a response from Nationwide btw however having double checked this thread realised it was Santander and felt like a wally to post up a response from Nationwide which had nothing to do with this( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2QZprRgxDc view this one from around 54 seconds onwards :o ). Furthermore at the time I received it, I think time had passed where he should have received an adequate response.
                              Good to see that they responded quickly to your email.
                              Thanks leclerc, and no problem x

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X