• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

BBA: New debt advice model would improve support for people in financial difficulties

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BBA: New debt advice model would improve support for people in financial difficulties

A report by British Bankers’ Association and Accenture
    New proposals to help people in financial difficulties would streamline the process of debt management and deliver a better and fairer deal for customers, said the British Bankers' Association and Accenture in a report published today.
    The report, A New Model for Dealing with Personal Debt, says that a clearer range of options for people working to resolve their debt would avoid confusion and worry. The reportcalls for greater consistency in the way debt advice is provided and in how creditors deal with customers in financial difficulties, in order to ensure fairer and more consistent results. It recommends changes in four key areas:
    • creation of a single body to regulate debt advice, with a single debt management license and sole responsibility for delivering a national over-indebtedness strategy;
    • simpler debt remedies, and increased emphasis on early intervention and resolution;
    • better use of customer information to identify people at risk of losing control of their debts, to offer early help; and
    • helping customers to help themselves by improving financial education and providing a single, online debt advice portal.

Paul Ross, BBA policy director and co-author of the report, said:
    "Our vision is to provide a clear and coherent process to help people facing debt difficulties, to intervene early where possible and to provide a simple debt resolution solution if those early attempts do not succeed. We want to unravel the red tape to bring about a more financially responsible solution for customers.
    "Customers are currently faced with too many confusing options for resolving their debt, and may set out too early on expensive legal procedures when a more common sense approach would be better for everyone."
    David Parker, senior executive in Accenture’s Financial Services group and co-author of the report said:
    "As the Government considers changes to consumer credit regulation, now is the right time to get real change under way and ensure that there are effective safety nets for consumers in financial distress. The changes we are proposing will have a fundamental impact on the way debt is managed through the rehabilitation of debtors and the prevention of new or repeated debt behaviour. However, agreement to implement a new debt management framework must be reached by all relevant stakeholders, including the government, regulatory and advice bodies, as well as lenders and borrowers."
    Notes to Editors

A New Model for Dealing with Personal Debt, by the BBA and Accenture is published today.
    Copies are available at http://www.accenture.com/gb-en/Pages...onal-debt.aspx
    The paper was produced as a contribution to the Department for Business, Innovation and Skills’ review of consumer credit and personal insolvency.
    About the BBA
    The BBA is the leading trade association for the UK banking and financial services sector. We speak for over 200 member banks from 60 countries on the full range of UK and international banking issues.
    About Accenture
    Accenture (NYSE:ACN) is a global management consulting, technology services and outsourcing company, with approximately 211,000 people serving clients in more than 120 countries. Combining unparalleled experience, comprehensive capabilities across all industries and business functions, and extensive research on the world’s most successful companies, Accenture collaborates with clients to help them become high-performance businesses and governments. The company generated net revenues of US$21.6 billion for the fiscal year ended Aug. 31, 2010. Its home page is http://www.accenture.com/home.asp.
    "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
    (quote from David Ogden Stiers)
    Tags: None

Re: BBA: New debt advice model would improve support for people in financial difficul

Sounds interesting, will have a good read later.

That David Parker couldnt make people in debt sound more like criminals if he tried.
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Re: BBA: New debt advice model would improve support for people in financial difficul

Simple steps to getting help
      If you find yourself in financial difficulties, you should let your bank know as soon as possible. They will be sympathetic and positive and do all they can to help you to overcome your difficulties.

The sooner you discuss your problems, the easier it will be for both you and your bank to find a solution. The more you tell them about your full financial circumstances, the more they may be able to help.

Banks will give you straightforward information in plain English explaining how they can help you overcome your difficulties. With your cooperation, they will develop a plan with you for dealing with your financial difficulties and will tell you in writing what you have jointly agreed.

You can also get help and advice from debt-counselling organisations. Your bank will tell you where you can get free money advice and, if you ask them to, they will work with debt-counselling organisations, such as Citizens Advice, money advice centres or the Consumer Credit Counselling Service.

Providers of free, independent money advice include:

Advice UK
      Phone: 020 7407 4070

Citizens Advice
      Website: www citizensadvice.org.ukYou can get the phone number of your local bureau from the phone book, the local library or from the website above.

Citizens Advice Scotland
      Phone: 0131 550 1000Website: www.cas.org.uk

Consumer Credit Counselling Service
      Phone: 0800 138 1111Website: www.cccs.co.uk

Money Advice Scotland
      Phone: 0141 572 0237Website: www.moneyadvicescotland.org.uk

National Debtline
      Phone: 0808 808 4000Website: www.nationaldebtline.co.uk

Payplan
      Phone: 0800 917 7823Website: www.payplan.com

There are other companies that charge a fee for managing your debts. You are advised to check the fees that may be charged before asking these companies to act on your behalf.

Further information on tackling financial difficulties is available in the BBA leaflet Dealing with Debt.

BBA - The voice of banking and financial services - Customer - Article - Free Debt Advice - Financial Difficulties

Comment

good in theory but i suspect that it will fall by the wayside in the search for profit. but it maybre finally that the advice and complaints have gone into good ground and will yield a hundred fold. But i doubt it

Comment

Originally posted by leclerc View Post
          Simple steps to getting help
          If you find yourself in financial difficulties, you should let your bank know as soon as possible. They will be sympathetic and positive and do all they can to help you to overcome your difficulties.

The sooner you discuss your problems, the easier it will be for both you and your bank to find a solution. The more you tell them about your full financial circumstances, the more they may be able to help.

Banks will give you straightforward information in plain English explaining how they can help you overcome your difficulties. With your cooperation, they will develop a plan with you for dealing with your financial difficulties and will tell you in writing what you have jointly agreed.

You can also get help and advice from debt-counselling organisations. Your bank will tell you where you can get free money advice and, if you ask them to, they will work with debt-counselling organisations, such as Citizens Advice, money advice centres or the Consumer Credit Counselling Service.

Providers of free, independent money advice include:

Advice UK
          Phone: 020 7407 4070

Citizens Advice
          Website: www citizensadvice.org.ukYou can get the phone number of your local bureau from the phone book, the local library or from the website above.

Citizens Advice Scotland
          Phone: 0131 550 1000Website: www.cas.org.uk

Consumer Credit Counselling Service
          Phone: 0800 138 1111Website: www.cccs.co.uk

Money Advice Scotland
          Phone: 0141 572 0237Website: www.moneyadvicescotland.org.uk

National Debtline
          Phone: 0808 808 4000Website: www.nationaldebtline.co.uk

Payplan
          Phone: 0800 917 7823Website: www.payplan.com

There are other companies that charge a fee for managing your debts. You are advised to check the fees that may be charged before asking these companies to act on your behalf.

Further information on tackling financial difficulties is available in the BBA leaflet Dealing with Debt.

BBA - The voice of banking and financial services - Customer - Article - Free Debt Advice - Financial Difficulties
          Hey BBA

Payplan, yes, free Debt Management Plan Provider, fair enough.

But since when have they ever been a charity?
          Last edited by Latch Key Kid; 29th January 2011, 00:24:AM.

Comment

tbh latch, they haven't said charities, they just said ''Providers of free, independent money advice'' - payplan are free, the'' independent bit may be a little questionnable as funded by industry, but the same could be said of MAT (national debtline), CAB, CCCS, who are all part funded by industry. Saying that I always recommend CCCS over Payplan if help is needed to set up and run a dmp, just because Payplan don't sit quite right with me and I use CCCS myself.

Much bigger fib on that article by the BBA is this

Ball hooks.

#staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Of the bit I read, sympathetic and understanding is one thing the bank very rarely is unless your solution is a loan, extending a mortgage or taking out a credit card.

Comment

Hi all
                Love this site and all you helpfull people
                I have followed most posts with interest this week especially the FSA court case and read this one with interest
                Lets hope some good will come of all this and help (OFT leaflet I have hundreds) could actually mean something
                All those people in debt who seek advice
                spend time setting up repayments
                finally managing their budgets
                who then are still ignored and hounded for more money even though the I and E sheets are recommended and worked out by the very people the banks have advised us to seek advice from
                Just banging my head on another brick wall

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
                  tbh latch, they haven't said charities, they just said ''Providers of free, independent money advice'' - payplan are free, the'' independent bit may be a little questionnable as funded by industry, but the same could be said of MAT (national debtline), CAB, CCCS, who are all part funded by industry. Saying that I always recommend CCCS over Payplan if help is needed to set up and run a dmp, just because Payplan don't sit quite right with me and I use CCCS myself.

Much bigger fib on that article by the BBA is this

Ball hooks.

[/color][/left]
                  Hi

Yes, I agree and some fair comments -

There is a fundamental difference though between Payplan and the others you mention as they are a profit making business as far as I understand.

As I am quite sure you are aware, CCCS & Payplan both recieve percentage payments from creditors through their Debt Management Plans, the CAB do not and this has always been a bit of a contentious issue with regard to genuine impartiality.

Maybe the CAB have been slow out of the blocks and a lttle too impartial. Should the CAB powers that be have looked into a similar DMP system years ago that would generate the now much needed funds as with CCCS & Payplan. Looking at the so called partnership with CCCS this may be part of the 'deal' but as I have already alluded to in another post - is it all too little to late and will there be any CAB workers left to actually 'pilot' this initiative.

PS - I have met and know some charming people from Payplan and to be honest those with debt problems could certainly do a lot worse in my opinion.

Comment

Hi everyone,

I have read through this report and to me it seems like a very irresponsible set of propositions. I'm not denying that the debt management industry needs tifying up - there can be no argument against OFT enforcement action (e.g. the recent action as highlighted by MSE: http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/new...s-face-the-axe). However, I think that creating a single portal which removes any customer choice (automatic assignment to a certian debt management type, and a customer allocation system to feed in clients to DMCs) is very dangerous.

I have been fortunate and have never needed to seek debt management advice (free or otherwise), but I would not want to be entered into a system over which I hasd no control and little personal contact. Additionally the claims that this central portal system would reduce stigma seems to be an oxymoron to me. Instead of shielding people from any negativity surrounding debt problems and debt releif, a central system could become a hub from which stigma arises. Many DMcs and free to use services provide a discreate, user friendly experience and I do not think this variety and choice should be lost. It is neseccary to weed out the unscrupulous debt management companies, but this should be done through tighter regulation and improved industry standards.

Luckily this report from the BBA is only a suggestion for an authoritative source to commission a meaningful consultation, which in the past have been far less revolutionary.

For past debt management documents please see:

Ministry of Justice
                    consultation paper 09/09 Debt management schemes - delivering effective and balanced solutions for debtors and creditors

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                    Working...
                    X