• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Slap in the face by Bank of Scotland

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slap in the face by Bank of Scotland

I have just had a letter from BOS accepting that I am in financial hardship, however the offer they made me was a pittiful £800, which they are going to put against the balance of my overdraft so I will not see a penny. I have mortgage and council tax arrears (totalling £6000 and statements sent to them to that effect) so this does not help me at all in the short term as desperately needed. They said if I'm unhappy I can go to the FOS but they can do no further for me.

Through LB's spread sheet BOS owes me without any interest £2261 and with compound interest at their rate £10000! How do they get their figure of £800!

The charges date between October 2002 and the present, although I have been on a repayment plan with them since 2007 so no charges have been applied since then.

Any suggestions! I am so MAD with them right now!

Re: Slap in the face by Bank of Scotland

Hi Ruby

I am really sorry to hear that. That of course will not be a final figure as any balance will be paid after the conclusion of the test case if it eventually goes in our favour.

You can try writing back to them asking them to reconsider and ask them how that is going to help you with your hardship and paying the arrears on your Mortgage and Council Tax?

With your mortgage arrears has your Mortgage company threatened repossession or have you agreed repayment of arrears? and with Council tax are they taking you to court and have you a court order?

You can make a complaint to both the FOS and the FSA if you are still not satisfied. The thing is the FSA waiver rules only state they have to look at each case sypathetically and they could state that they have.

Tuttsi

Comment

I will try and write back to them, I don't hold up any hope though if the telephone conversation was anything to go by - they have the morals of sewer rats!! Just spoken to FOS and they said as long as they are seen to 'show' sympathy (ha!) they are under no obligation to do anything. Even if the test case goes in our favour it will probably be months before we see the rest of our charges back, as we all know.

Comment

Another thought is try writing to the CEO of the BOS and ask him to review your case, you never know he may be able to do something. You have nothing to lose. you may be able to obtain his email addy to speed things along. Lloyds TSB (includes Halifax / Bank of Scotland (HBOS))Eric Daniels, Chief Executiveeric.daniels@lloydstsb.co.ukhttp://www.lloydstsb.co.uk

If he cannot help by increasing the offer ask him if the £800 can be paid directly to your mortgage lender or the Council tax to help with your arrears and ask him also to stop any further charges until the test case conclusion.

This is just my thoughts others may have some other ideas.

Tuttsi

Originally posted by Ruby View Post
        I will try and write back to them, I don't hold up any hope though if the telephone conversation was anything to go by - they have the morals of sewer rats!! Just spoken to FOS and they said as long as they are seen to 'show' sympathy (ha!) they are under no obligation to do anything. Even if the test case goes in our favour it will probably be months before we see the rest of our charges back, as we all know.
        Last edited by TUTTSI; 23rd November 2009, 15:05:PM. Reason: Added CEO email addy for Eric daniels

Comment

Hi Tuttsi, thanks for all your advice. I have since spoken to a couple of other people regarding my claim at BOS. Here are somethings they said, which may help others in my situation:

The charges amount was calculated from the time my account first went into the collection dept. My first lot of charges imposed on my account was in 2002 however the collections department only started dealing with my account in 2005 so BOS have only taken into account since 2005! I explained that the reason my account went into collections in the first place was the snow ball effect of all the charges imposed in 2003/04 - that fell on deaf ears. The low life said that that was BOS policy.

Secondly, no interest has been added on the amount of £800.

My overdraft with them is circa 3.5K and they said it is their policy to pay off debts with them first before giving out any cash, hence why the 800 is just swallowed up.

I argued my case that my O/D is not a priority debt, especially since I had been diligenty paying £10 per month towards it since it went into collections and my priorty debt is council tax/mortgage however that again fell on deaf ears.

I am in good mind to write to the CEO. What do you think?

Comment

Hi Tuttsi, thanks for all your advice. I have since spoken to a couple of other people regarding my claim at BOS. Here are somethings they said, which may help others in my situation:

The charges amount was calculated from the time my account first went into the collection dept. My first lot of charges imposed on my account was in 2002 however the collections department only started dealing with my account in 2005 so BOS have only taken into account since 2005! I explained that the reason my account went into collections in the first place was the snow ball effect of all the charges imposed in 2003/04 - that fell on deaf ears. The low life said that that was BOS policy.

Secondly, no interest has been added on the amount of £800.

My overdraft with them is circa 3.5K and they said it is their policy to pay off debts with them first before giving out any cash, hence why the 800 is just swallowed up.

I argued my case that my O/D is not a priority debt, especially since I had been diligenty paying £10 per month towards it since it went into collections and my priorty debt is council tax/mortgage however that again fell on deaf ears.

I am in good mind to write to the CEO. What do you think?
            Did you read my previous post - I have given you the details of the CEO to send an email to - appeal to him to help you out of a difficult situation. At the very least ask him to suspend further charges.

Tuttsi

Comment

Will do. BOS said they would suspend further charges, however that is irrelevant to me as I no longer bank with them and since I have been in a payment plan with them they have suspended their charges anyway.

Do you not think they should have at the very least given me the 8% compound interest?

Comment

Will do. BOS said they would suspend further charges, however that is irrelevant to me as I no longer bank with them and since I have been in a payment plan with them they have suspended their charges anyway.

Do you not think they should have at the very least given me the 8% compound interest?
                No Ruby, they dont normally pay interest on Financial hardship claims as the balance and interest will be paid at the conclusion of the test case if it goes in our favour.

Comment

I was in your situation 18 months ago. I wrote to the CEO of my bank at the time and it certainly livened things up and got my case looked at. It's gotta be worth a go.

Comment

Just sent an e-mail via your link to the CEO, let see what happens. POWER IN NUMBERS and I can't thank everyone at LB enough for all their help and support. Financial institutions must absolutely HATE us lot!

Comment

Jester, did you get the result you wanted when you wrote to the CEO? When you said it livened things up - care to elaborate?

Comment

Hi Ruby

This was Jesters thread http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...ad.php?t=10786

Tuttsi

Comment

Wow, quick result! Had a call this afternoon from a nice man in Halifax/BOS stating that I can have the £800 paid to my mortgage co and council tax. I said that it was a shame that I had to go to the CEO in order to achieve this result, he agreed. Oooooooh me thinks some butt was kicked!!!
                          Like lots of others will be glued to the computer and TV at 9.45 am tomorrow.

Once again thank you all for your help and support, at least this will help us a little this side of Christmas.

Comment

Fantastic news Ruby, its amazing what a nice communication to the head honcho of any organisation does.

Well done hun xxx

Comment

There you go Ruby a bit of push at the top and hey presto..... it works wonders. Pity they could not have upped their offer as well.

I really do hope that this helps with your current situation.

The OFT case will be reported on LB as it happens our team will be there.

Tuttsi x

Wow, quick result! Had a call this afternoon from a nice man in Halifax/BOS stating that I can have the £800 paid to my mortgage co and council tax. I said that it was a shame that I had to go to the CEO in order to achieve this result, he agreed. Oooooooh me thinks some butt was kicked!!!
                              Like lots of others will be glued to the computer and TV at 9.45 am tomorrow.

Once again thank you all for your help and support, at least this will help us a little this side of Christmas.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X