• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Hardship claim refused by FOS, any advice?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hardship claim refused by FOS, any advice?

I hace been persuing a hardship claim with nationwide to claim back £5500 in bank charges for the past 6 months. I eventually went to the FOS as nationwide would not accept that I was in hardship. Basically I gave up a well paid job to care for my terminally ill Mum who has since passed away. Whilst looking after her I struggled financially and got behind with credit card/loan etc I have now got another job but not on very good pay and am struggling to pay everything each month. I also have arrears on my gas and electric supply and have had to have a meter fitted to pay off the debt to them. I completed an income and expenditure form for the FOS and basically they have said that because my priority debts are being paid each month with an excess of £300 of income over expenditure each month then I should renegotiate with my creditors to reduce payments on my other debts. However, I have already done this and am paying the minimum and these debts total just over £300! The FOS state ' I do not think that it would be right for us to uphold your complaint about bank charges soley because you are having trouble paying debts owed to other parties'

I don't know what to do as I thought that if you could prove you were in financial hardship and have the following as I have, then this was classed as hardship.
    1. have had a reduction in pay as time off to care for a relative
    2. have items repeatedly unpaid to to lack of funds
    3. failing to make repayments on loans and credit cards
    4. have arrears on utility bills

I have until *th November if I want to appeal, can anyone give me any ideas?

Re: Hardship claim refused by FOS, any advice?

Hi Stressed Out mum

Welcome to Legal Beagles.

We've had quite a few people patiently pursue hardship claims, it takes a while but has produced some really good results.

Without a lot more information, we can't properly assess whether you have a decent hardship claim and should appeal.

To get you started off, read this guide thread first:
    Guide to Claiming Hardship - updated February 2009 - Legal Beagles

then this:
    Income Expenditure / Budgeting Guidelines for hardship claims - Legal Beagles

which contains a link to the Legal Beagles income and expenditure sheet and hopefully from that we can advise whether you should fight on.

Read some of the other threads by Hardship claimants, you may find them really useful and will help you compare your situation with others.

Best of Luck
    "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

I am proud to have co-founded LegalBeagles in 2007

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

Re: Hardship claim refused by FOS, any advice?

Originally posted by stressedoutmum View Post
      I hace been persuing a hardship claim with nationwide to claim back £5500 in bank charges for the past 6 months. I eventually went to the FOS as nationwide would not accept that I was in hardship. Basically I gave up a well paid job to care for my terminally ill Mum who has since passed away. Whilst looking after her I struggled financially and got behind with credit card/loan etc I have now got another job but not on very good pay and am struggling to pay everything each month. I also have arrears on my gas and electric supply and have had to have a meter fitted to pay off the debt to them. I completed an income and expenditure form for the FOS and basically they have said that because my priority debts are being paid each month with an excess of £300 of income over expenditure each month then I should renegotiate with my creditors to reduce payments on my other debts. However, I have already done this and am paying the minimum and these debts total just over £300! The FOS state ' I do not think that it would be right for us to uphold your complaint about bank charges soley because you are having trouble paying debts owed to other parties'

I don't know what to do as I thought that if you could prove you were in financial hardship and have the following as I have, then this was classed as hardship.
      1. have had a reduction in pay as time off to care for a relative
      2. have items repeatedly unpaid to to lack of funds
      3. failing to make repayments on loans and credit cards
      4. have arrears on utility bills

I have until *th November if I want to appeal, can anyone give me any ideas?
      A Warm welcome to legal beagles. I suspect that the issue is that there is a meter in place to pay off the arrears.
      However, something else struck me in the list of things that you have mentioned which is number 3 which would indicate you have charges on the credit card which you might want to pursue.

I think the issue is when did you get really behind and was that when you contacted and dealt with Nationwide?
      Are you still incurring charges today and are they preventing you paying your bills today ie rent or mortgage, council tax, utilities?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X