• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

robwood v Nationwide hardship

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• robwood v Nationwide hardship

Hi
    I am new to this site, so I hope you'll bear with me.

I submitted my claim for a refund to Nationwide just before the start of the test case, it went on hold along with everyone elses.
    for the past 18months my business was going downhill and my personal finances were taking a battering as a result.
    In july 2008 I formally left the business and my income dropped, some time later I asked nationwide to look at my complaint as I was in financial hardship, they responded saying I wasnt in hardship as my income exceeded my expenses, at this point I had not provided them with a financial statement and had stopped using my account with them.
    I replied basically stating this and said I would supply them with a financial statement if required, to this I received a standard, we are unable to refund letter.
    I again replied explaining I was asking them to look at my case for hardship, at this point I received a request for income and expenseswhich I supplied.
    I then received a letter saying they were looking into it and would respond by 28th nov 08. By this point I was £80 overdrawn due to charges.

I received a reply saying they agreed I was in financial hardship, and would refund £80 of charges (convenient figure) but could not refund the £1800 odd I had asked for as I had only been in hardship since august and charges incurred prior to this were from bad account management, This was their final response.

I submitted a complaint to the ombudsman, telling them about the fobbing off I had received from nationwide during my complaint whilst tryin g to get them to look at my hardship case, and that the refunded had conveniently just been enough to cover the overdraft.

I have today received the response from the ombudsman, stating they agree with nationwide, and that their only obligation is to assess whether or not you are in hardship, what they do about it is up to them!
    No mention of the main part of the complaint about how my complaint was handled etc.

I have replied to the ombudsman saying all this and that I disagree with their decision and asking them to look at it again.

Sorry for rolling on, but what can i do if the ombudsman refuse to change their mind?

I think the way the waiver is worded is a complete cop out for the banks and offers nothing for the people who are still being ripped off.

Re: robwood v Nationwide hardship

Hi Robwood

A very warm welcome to Leagle Beagles.

Under the FSA rules for financial hardship is that they do have to be sympathetic, but that does not mean that they have to pay all of your claim. We have noticed that different banks are treating hardship differently in varying degrees. It also depends on whether you are just about to have your house repossessed etc. Everyone's financial state is different and they accessyour hardship on the evidences which you supplied to them. Please take a look at our hardship section http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...play.php?f=222.

To enable us to help you are you able to upload your Income & Expenditure(exclude personal deatils) on this thread or PM to Amethyst@legalbeagles.info

Please give us some idea what your current status is with regard to Financial Hardship - ie has it worsened since you made your claim, when did you make your claim. Can you also state the causes of your case and what evidences you sent to Nationwide priginally. As much information you give us will allow us to help you further.

Comment

Right I think I have attached an xls file with income and expenditure.
      We are a family of 2 adults, 2 children.
      I have been out of work since finishing the business in july, but hung on hoping something would come along living on tax credits, until december, when I signed on unemployed.
      on top of the negative disp income, I have cedit card and catalogue bills, that I am trying to negotiate with as well.
      ------------------------------- merged -------------------------------
      try again
      Last edited by robwood; 15th February 2009, 12:53:PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

think I've got it now

Comment

Hi Robwood

Looking at you I & E - there is no rent or mortgage payments! Is this correct!

I would also include an average for charges being added to your account as this is going out leaving you shorter than you already are.

Comment

yes, at the moment i am receiving housing benefit, there are no charges at the moment as I am using a different account now, and only have bare minimum dd's like insurance and phone.

Comment

The housing benefit I take it covers your Mortgage/Rent payments!

Comment

yes, covers rent in full and council tax, I am however paying the previous years council tax to the baillifs at a rate of £25 per month

Comment

Originally posted by robwood View Post
                  yes, covers rent in full and council tax, I am however paying the previous years council tax to the baillifs at a rate of £25 per month
                  IMHO I would include £6.25 for the arrears on council tax.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                  Working...
                  X